Options

petition to show our support for Pearl Jam never whoring themselves out by playing at Super Bowl

124»

Comments

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    some people want to see Mike McCready play air guitar in front of a 100 million people, and some don't, but it has been a great thread with very diverse opinions
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Personally, I don't think they'd do it, if the situation came up. But they may, I mean it's not outside the realm of possibility, and if that's a choice they make, I'd be excited.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I think Pearl Jam would be the PERFECT band to perform at the Super Bowl
    if the game is ever played in Seattle at CenturyLink Field!!
    HELL...I might even try to go to THAT GAME!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    Does a petition show support?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    A petition is used as a call to action to some perceived authority figure, garnering support for a position is not typically what a petition is used for...

"petition to show our support for Pearl Jam never whoring themselves out by playing at Super Bowl" is the title of this thread....

I support Pearl Jam not whoring at the Super Bowl? Is that what I'm being asked to sign a petition for? Who will the petition be submitted to? Why?

I didn't make the language choice, I'm just a bullying douchebag.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    I'm the epitome of Public Enemy
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    don't believe the hype

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaah boy
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    how about PE for the SuperBowl???
    It's already prerecorded music :D

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited September 2014
    the bottom line is Pearl Jam has always been a band of brothers, all for one, one for all, and I just can't believe Eddie would let the rest of his bandmates go up on stage in front of that many people and pretend to play, if they do, well I will still listen to the music and go to the concerts, but I certainly would view the band in a different light. It is one thing to accept a check for 2 million to play the Oracle Employee Appreciation Party or whatever it was, because they actually played 19 songs, and shortly thereafter they played a small stand alone show in Missoula, MT which they might of lost money on, so if that show was made possible by playing for Oracle employees who were probably pretty stoked to get to see Pearl Jam, I know I would be, then I am okay with that. But getting up in front of 100 million people and to pretend to play, for what reason? they already sell out every concert anywhere in the world they play, what to get some bandwagon fans on board and move a few more units? I thought the band made it clear record sales should never come before integrity, maybe I am naive to believe that they still subscribe to that philosophy, I hope not, because they all certainly financially secure not only for their lifetime, but their great grandkids lifetimes, plus it will be much harder getting Pearl Jam tickets, do you really want that?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-gmaO4qw2s
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ;)
  • Options
    Eh, it wouldn't bother me at all. One of the cooler memories I have from the VH1 Honors The Who special was hearing attendees at the end, people who weren't PJ fans walking in, express how blown away they were by the band. If that happened on a larger scale because of a Super Bowl appearance then great. Good for the band.

But I agree with the image above. It is a moot point. I don't see them ever playing the Super Bowl.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Not every band that plays at the Super Bowl needs a backing track or uses a backing track. Personally, I think Pearl Jam would tear a hole in any stadium they played.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I kind of hope Pearl Jam plays the Super Bowl with Pink and Katy Perry! Maybe Pink will let Eddie use her trapeze. Hell throw Justin Bieber onstage with them....i bet deep down Pearl Jam are huge Bieber fans
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    IMO- as a huge fan since Day One, I have learned to mind my own business when it comes to where Pearl Jam plays or why or how much or any other business decision they make. Do you people know how extremely lucky we are? Let them do what they want to do!! If they play the super bowl I'll cheer them on like I would any other live performance they play! It's another gift to us!! Peace. ^:)^
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    hedonist said:

;)

:bz
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options

Not every band that plays at the Super Bowl needs a backing track or uses a backing track. Personally, I think Pearl Jam would tear a hole in any stadium they played.

no it is NFL policy, and has been for at least the most recent Super Bowls because of the limited time to set up, they are eliminating the chance of technical difficulties, that only the singers are mic'd up, you really think Flea would of done this, if he had a choice?
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    I think with the symbolism of lightning bolt it shows the awareness of the control(just my opinion) , and watching Super Bowls of the past such as madonnas it projects great illuminati symbolism (. Do they exist !?) and displays everything wrong with the music industry . Shouldn't you stand with the working class because without the pyramid would fall down , wouldn't it?
  • Options
    if they play the Super Bowl everyone will be bitching because they didn't get any tickets through the lottery and are having to buy through scalpers, because no way Pearl Jam is ever playing more than 30 shows a year ever again, so you are dealing with a limited number of shows, the more exposure the harder it will be to see shows, I am happy with where the band is at and the direction they are going, not sure what the upside is for them or us as fans long term? What so they can end up playing 60,000 seat stadiums? where the acoustics aren't as good, and more crappy seats
  • Options
    cydonia said:

I think with the symbolism of lightning bolt it shows the awareness of the control(just my opinion) , and watching Super Bowls of the past such as madonnas it projects great illuminati symbolism (. Do they exist !?) and displays everything wrong with the music industry . Shouldn't you stand with the working class because without the pyramid would fall down , wouldn't it?

+1
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Exactly as I remembered it...I kinda thought Bruno Mars killed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2i0Bc3f7jk

Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

no it is NFL policy, and has been for at least the most recent Super Bowls because of the limited time to set up, they are eliminating the chance of technical difficulties, that only the singers are mic'd up, you really think Flea would of done this, if he had a choice?
    This makes me so depressed I want to drown myself in tequila and move to Colorado.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    edited September 2014

you really think Flea would of done this, if he had a choice?

He did. Could have been the voice of dissension in his band prior to acceptance, but that wasn't the case. Just after to try and save a little face. Pearl Jam, if they are ever even asked to participate, will have the same choice. The National Football League has been quite generous these many years picking up the tab of the performance the artist agrees to as well as letting that artist take a nice chuck from the exposure and sales the following day when some of those 100 million viewers go to hit up iTunes. Maybe this would actually be a good thing for Pearl Jam... you know, release an album in October, stop promoting it by Christmas, Super Bowl would add some nice numbers to a new release and back catalog.

And do you still think Ed doesn't care too much about units while releasing stuff on their own label?

Post edited by jamburger on
  • Options
    Bruno Mars does appear to be playing those drums...
  • Options

This makes me so depressed I want to drown myself in tequila and move to Colorado.
    we got legal weed here in Washington too, in fact you can order it and have it delivered just like a pizza, if you are ever up this way the green is on me
  • Options
    Not gonna worry about how they make their money. The music is golden but it is also their chosen profession. Good for them if they find new ways to enjoy success. People complain about every little thing anyways. Pearl Jam can do what it wants.