NFL Asks Musicians for Money to Play Super Bowl

backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
edited August 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
Classy!

The NFL reportedly asked Katy Perry, Rihanna and Coldplay, their top choices to play the 2015 Super Bowl Halftime Show, if they would be willing to pay the league in order to secure one of the biggest gigs in the world, according to The Wall Street Journal.

When reaching out to artists, league representatives asked some acts if they would exchange a headlining slot for a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour earnings, or make another type of financial contribution to the NFL. Sources told the Journal that the suggestion, perhaps unsurprisingly, "got a chilly reception from the candidates' representatives."

While the NFL doesn't typically pay artists who perform during the Super Bowl Halftime Show, they do tend to cover travel and production expenses, which can be upwards of a million dollars. Considering the Halftime Show has only grown more popular in recent years — this year's performance with Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers drew 115.3 million viewers, compared to the 112.2 million who watched the game — it makes sense they'd want a piece of the pie.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nfl-super-bowl-rihanna-coldplay-katy-perry-20140819#ixzz3AtAu4YsE
Post edited by backseatLover12 on

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Is the NFL serious here??? I know the artists get a ton of exposure when playing the halftime show, but asking them to pay to do it??? Give me a fucking break.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    what a joke. the nfl is laughable
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    chadwick said:

what a joke. the nfl is laughable

It's never enough for the NFL. A bunch of greedy assholes.
  • The NFL basically wants a cut of the profits the bands/artists by getting a cut for themselves.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    It would be kinda ironic if Rihanna plays.... Being the nfl doesn't seem to care about battered women..... And Rihanna having that unfortunate experience

Weed bad, beating up ur Chick, not that bad, wtf

Unfortunately the NFL is a microcosm of society, hate to say it the NFL= American values

The amount of people in Jail for non violent drug offenses and violent fucks go unpunished

I saw the Eagles long snapper story on Real Sports last night....long story short his father killed his mom when he was like 10-12 and got 13yrs...... 13 fucking years

I bet if you take a few lbs of weed and cross state lines your looking at the same or more

Sorry to get a lil off topic just have a few things floating around my head
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    You expected different? They are a machine that we all feed gladly.In fact I can't wait to do it.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Depends on how.much weed your carrying across state lines. 8-|
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Willie Nelson, say hello to Texas :D
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Not surprised ... this is the first time in a long, long time have barely followed the preseason, and am not overly excited for the season to start.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    doesn't bother me one bit. I've watched exactly 2 half times since I was a kid. The Who and The Boss, sorry 3...forgot Petty.

I'm a huge football fan and despise the Super Bowl and all the hoopla. The Conference championships are good enough for me. If these pop acts want to pay to gain exposure, big deal...I'm not watching
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • doesn't bother me one bit. I've watched exactly 2 half times since I was a kid. The Who and The Boss, sorry 3...forgot Petty.

I'm a huge football fan and despise the Super Bowl and all the hoopla. The Conference championships are good enough for me. If these pop acts want to pay to gain exposure, big deal...I'm not watching

The thing is, they don't need the exposure! Super Bowl hires only the most exposed and most popular acts of the day. No one needs to play the Super Bowl!

(well, now you'll get lesser known acts willing to pay for the exposure. Acts nobody cares about, which will flunk the Super Bowl ratings. And we all know how sacred ratings are!)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    nothing wrong with the NFL making them pay. they are getting access to the largest tv audience for the year. for the exposure these groups will get it's well worth it...unless your the Black Eyed Peas and your performance is so god-awful bad that your exposed for being frauds.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    CROJAM95 said:

It would be kinda ironic if Rihanna plays.... Being the nfl doesn't seem to care about battered women..... And Rihanna having that unfortunate experience

Unfortunately the NFL is a microcosm of society, hate to say it the NFL= American values

The amount of people in Jail for non violent drug offenses and violent fucks go unpunished

I saw the Eagles long snapper story on Real Sports last night....long story short his father killed his mom when he was like 10-12 and got 13yrs...... 13 fucking years

I bet if you take a few lbs of weed and cross state lines your looking at the same or more

Sorry, I don't understand your point here. Rihanna was the victim. If Chris Brown were in the running, you'd have a point.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

It's crazy

My point was everyone was up in arms over the Ray Rice incident and lack of disciple from Goodell but look at the country the NFL operates in.... Same shit. It's really a sad state of affairs.
    PJ_Soul said:

CROJAM95 said:

Sorry, I don't understand your point here. Rihanna was the victim. If Chris Brown were in the running, you'd have a point.

Rihanna lets say does it, the halftime show ....your performing for a league that doesnt protect woman from abusive men i.e. Ray Rice getting off super easy...they even admit to not watching the video which is absurd.

Brown performs halftime show seems Par for the coarse, NFL not caring he's a woman beater

I think for Rihanna to do it with all the controversy swirling around would be ignorant on her part. If I was her I'd cite not doing the show because of the NFL not talking a leadership roll on the issue

put guys get suspended min 4 games all the time for marijuana, etc.....beat wife and drag her on camera+ 2 games

what a joke

pjhawks said:

nothing wrong with the NFL making them pay. they are getting access to the largest tv audience for the year. for the exposure these groups will get it's well worth it...unless your the Black Eyed Peas and your performance is so god-awful bad that your exposed for being frauds.

They are all frauds, no one plays live

How much can the NFL actually ask someone to pay? is it really gonna make a big difference to them to lets say get $ 5 million....I cant see it being any higher than that, and thats ludicrous.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar a year outfit....this is a drop in the pan.

The bad PR isnt worth it A

B the big acts dont need the exposure and will prob tell NFL to Fuck OFF

C can you imagine a level lower to the already shitty acts that play 50% of the time. And to those acts it might be worth it to pay

NFL is just watering things down and looking like assholes at the same time.

my 2 cents

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    CROJAM95 said:

pjhawks said:

They are all frauds, no one plays live

How much can the NFL actually ask someone to pay? is it really gonna make a big difference to them to lets say get $ 5 million....I cant see it being any higher than that, and thats ludicrous.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar a year outfit....this is a drop in the pan.

The bad PR isnt worth it A

B the big acts dont need the exposure and will prob tell NFL to Fuck OFF

C can you imagine a level lower to the already shitty acts that play 50% of the time. And to those acts it might be worth it to pay

NFL is just watering things down and looking like assholes at the same time.

my 2 cents

they can ask whatever someone is dumb enough to pay.

my guess is that most of the people they would really want have already played it so if you are going to go 2nd tier why not make them buck up for the opportunity and exposure? why give someone shitty the opportunity of a lifetime for free. NOTHING in this country brings in a one-time TV audience like the Super Bowl. If a Rhianna or Katy Perry is dumb enough to shell out millions go for it.

is there really any difference between charging companies millions of dollars for a 30 second ad on the game vs. charging a performing to play? why should Rhianna or Katy Perry get free advertising when Budweiser and Pepsi are shelling out millions per 30 seconds?
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    They need just one to do it. Set a precedent by paying for the time and the NFL will continue to see acts race at the chance to have billions of eyes watch them.

From a business standpoint, it's a genius idea. As a fan, of football and music, it's disappointing and can't say I'm surprised.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    pjhawks said:

is there really any difference between charging companies millions of dollars for a 30 second ad on the game vs. charging a performing to play? why should Rhianna or Katy Perry get free advertising when Budweiser and Pepsi are shelling out millions per 30 seconds?

Great point.