Options

2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Happy that they did the right thing in getting rid of Emery and Trestman, but it still bothers me that Ted Phillips will be involved in hiring a GM. Let Phillips run the business side and bring in a football guy to hire a GM and run the football operations. I know they have Ernie Accorsi coming in as a consultant to help out with the search, but Phillips and George McCaskey will make the ultimate decision and I have zero faith that they will hire the right guy. They held Emery and Tresman accountable, so why isn't Phillips held accountable for hiring Emery and Jerry Angelo?

Yep. Bad idea for sure!
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    SO what is gonna happen to Cutler? Is he still under contract?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options

He is. They would owe him like 15 mil to keep him or cut him and no team will pay that. He'll likely be back.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    mca47 wrote: »

He is. They would owe him like 15 mil to keep him or cut him and no team will pay that. He'll likely be back.

He needs to start earning his pay.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    If they don't show some life today, they must fire somebody. My guess Mel Tucker cause in upper upper management will admit the tresman hire was a massive mistake
    mca47 said:

imalive wrote: »

I really hope they don't hire Shannahan. Yeah, he's got experience but seeing him as a Redskin was a fiasco!

they say he's the only guy to ever get anything out of cutler.

Well, that's pretty accurate. Pro bowler in Denver under Shannahan. Comes to the Bears under Lovie Smiths "I don't give a shit about offense" offense, then decent results under Trestman's first year until he got injured....then the league and everyone on their couch watching the Bears figured out their crappy and predictable offense.

Ugh...the Bears are a mess!

Still, Trestman and that coaching staff was problem #1. Just hope they can bring in an actual NFL coach.

Do you guys realize Da Bear's have never hired a head coach that has had prior NFL Head coach experience…EVER!!!! I think it's time to go with a proven Winner in the NFL and Shannahan is a Proven winner in NFL…..He even won with Jay…. Da Bears will be keeping for at least another a Year you can count on that...
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Shanahan is not the answer. He's a qb killer. Nobody gets along with him. He all but destroyed RG3's career. Elway didn't need shanahan to be a hall of famer. He was a hall of famer with Reeves. Cutler was better under shanahan simply because trestman was a horrible coach. Cutler thrives when the team he plays on has a defense that can give him a short field. Cutler is not the type of qb that can carry a team on his own.
  • Options
    News conference the other day cracked me up.

Virginia McCaskey is "pissed off"?
    Really?
    91 year old is pissed off?

Hahahahahahahaha
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

Really?

Hahahahahahahaha

LOL. That was definitely the highlight of that press conference.

Apparently the Bears are interviewing Seattle DC Dan Quinn on Friday. They're also interested in Gary Kubiak.
  • Options
    I saw the list of jackasses the bears were interested in. Tom Cable? What a joke. Kubiak would be a poor choice, IMO. Dan Quinn would be an excellent option. They need to get back to their defensive roots.
  • Options

Really?

Hahahahahahahaha

Apparently the Bears are interviewing Seattle DC Dan Quinn on Friday. They're also interested in Gary Kubiak.
    The way the news media made such a BIG issue of Ole Virginia being "pissed off", was such NONSENSE! Pretty pathetic.
    Anyway....
    I don't even want to begin to think of what this organization needs to do in order to become a Super Bowl contender. Hahahahaha

Ill be happy if on the 1st day of his new job....
    Whoever the coach is......
    Is 1st move is....

Kicking Shea Mcclellin right in the gonads, and showing him the exit sign.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I saw the list of jackasses the bears were interested in. Tom Cable? What a joke. Kubiak would be a poor choice, IMO. Dan Quinn would be an excellent option. They need to get back to their defensive roots.

Oh wow...I didn't see Tom Cable. I doubt even the Bears would be dumb enough to hire a guy like that.

Kubiak wouldn't be my top choice, but it would be nice for them to hire a guy who has actually been a head coach in the past.
  • Options

Oh wow...I didn't see Tom Cable. I doubt even the Bears would be dumb enough to hire a guy like that.

Kubiak wouldn't be my top choice, but it would be nice for them to hire a guy who has actually been a head coach in the past.

I agree, but kubiak didn't do shit with a very talented Houston team. It's time to rebuild that defense. A stout defense will bring that offense around.

The bears are only 2 years removed from being the second highest scoring offense in the league. They have the offense. But that defense is pathetic.
  • Options

Really?

Hahahahahahahaha

The way the news media made such a BIG issue of Ole Virginia being "pissed off", was such NONSENSE! Pretty pathetic.
    Anyway....
    I don't even want to begin to think of what this organization needs to do in order to become a Super Bowl contender. Hahahahaha

Ill be happy if on the 1st day of his new job....
    Whoever the coach is......
    Is 1st move is....

Kicking Shea Mcclellin right in the gonads, and showing him the exit sign.

hahahahahahahaha!!!
  • Options
    They need to hire Bill Polian. He said he doesn't want to be a GM, but they should offer him the President role. They guy has done nothing but put together amazing teams.

Good article...
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12095833/if-chicago-bears-serious-winning-their-first-call-bill-polian
  • Options
    They need to hire Bill Polian. He said he doesn't want to be a GM, but they should offer him the President role. They guy has done nothing but put together amazing teams.

Good article...
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12095833/if-chicago-bears-serious-winning-their-first-call-bill-polian

Interesting idea from Wilbon. The only thing that would concern me about Polian is his age. As great as he has been, 72 is pretty old.

The shitty part about all of this is that they didn't come out and say that they are going to change up the structure and hire a president of football operations and let Phillips stick to the business side where he belongs.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of news with this GM/coaching search. They better hurry up and hire a GM so that GM can pick his own coach to hire. Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if the Bears fuck this up and hire a coach before the GM.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of news with this GM/coaching search. They better hurry up and hire a GM so that GM can pick his own coach to hire. Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if the Bears fuck this up and hire a coach before the GM.

I believe they are waiting for all the teams in the playoffs. I really hope they can snag Seattle's DC.
  • Options

I believe they are waiting for all the teams in the playoffs. I really hope they can snag Seattle's DC.

Are they allowed to talk to GM candidates who still have a team in the playoffs? Not sure if there's a rule against that. I'm just being impatient....and I think the Bears are going to fuck this up.
  • Options
    Sounds like Chris Ballard is the favorite for GM....apparently he's interviewing at Halas Hall today. Seems to have a good rep around the league.

He did work for the Bears for 10-12 years. At first, I didn't like that. But maybe he realizes how fucked up the way that this organization is run and he's going to come in and do it his way. I sure hope so.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    edited January 2015

Are they allowed to talk to GM candidates who still have a team in the playoffs? Not sure if there's a rule against that. I'm just being impatient....and I think the Bears are going to fuck this up.

i do not think so...unless it is one of the two super bowl teams during the bye week. not sure if it's a rule or an unwritten thing that playoff teams operate on to keep all coaches focused.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    tumblr_manzsoQBOR1rge9rdo1_400.jpg
  • Options

Good article...
    Beware. He is a Sith Lord. Powerful he is.

Beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan’s apprentice, Jim Irsay.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Jason P wrote: »

Good article...
    Beware. He is a Sith Lord. Powerful he is.

Beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan’s apprentice, Jim Irsay.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/201798/the-talk-like-yoda-you-will-thread
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ryan Pace is the new GM. I like it. A guy who seems to be well respected around the league and has no ties to former regimes like Ballard did with Angelo and Emery. Fresh start. Will be interesting to see what he wants to do with Cutler...
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Cutler is staying put for another year, unfortunately. That said, I hope the Bears have patience with this guy because it could be a 3+ year project.
  • Options
    Remember the good times? 30 years ago? Where you alive?

2048x1300
  • Options
    Jason P wrote: »
    Remember the good times? 30 years ago? Where you alive?

2048x1300

I was 2 years old. My brother was born the night the Bears won the Super Bowl....apparently it was quite a scene at the hospital that night.

All I need is a Bears Super Bowl victory and I will have seen all of my Chicago teams win championships. I do not feel confident that I will see one.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    i was barely alive but who cares, that was 30 years ago. it's time to move on from 1985. #forgodsake #greatscott
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote: »
    i was barely alive but who cares, that was 30 years ago. it's time to move on from 1985. #forgodsake #greatscott

I know. So sick of hearing about the 85 Bears. Yeah, they were great. But like you said, it was 30 years ago. Time to move on...
  • Options
    How fucking insane is it that the bears released the Super Bowl Shuffle three months before the actual Super Bowl?

Hockey players, they are not.