Okay...I'll be THAT guy...

I'm gonna catch flack, I already know it. This isn't directed at any specific person, either.

I respect and appreciate new music. I understand that people really want to get their names out there. I've done it, I won't lie. But it gets annoying to have the constant "Check out my new band/song" posts all the time. Now hear me out. When it's someone that posts regularly and actively contributes to the forum (not just the M&G section), I'm totally cool with it. But when it is someone that never comes around or contributes unless it is to promote their stuff, I usually just pass by. Call me a d*ck, I don't care. I've made some good friends on here and gotten a lot of advice, not just on gear but on life in general. I've been posting here since 2006 and have seen people come and go. I even posted links and somewhat tried to promote stuff I've done. But in doing so, I also actively asked questions, commented, and added to the forum. Over the past few years, the forum has really dropped off. Maybe it's a sign of the times changing, I don't know. I remember when there were tons of new threads with gear reviews or questions. But, lately, it's become a dumping place for self promotion. I guess I'm just venting here and I'm sure I'll get flamed. But it's something I had to get off my chest.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Comments

• I'm with you on that one bud. I've made some small posts about my projects over the years, but that's about it for me.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I'm with you on that one bud. I've made some small posts about my projects over the years, but that's about it for me.

That's totally fine...because you're an ACTIVE member. You contribute rather than only promote.
  • I do all my 'promoting' in the Other Music forum.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I do all my 'promoting' in the Other Music forum.

Ahh gotcha. But you also add to the forum (in multiple sections). You're an active member who also "promotes" your own music. I see no fault in that
  • I quite like hearing what people are doing around here. I wish more people would share their musical projects with us. Lots of creative and talented folks around : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I quite like hearing what people are doing around here. I wish more people would share their musical projects with us. Lots of creative and talented folks around : )

For sure...but it seems like it should be in the "Other Music" section.
  • I agree X, I have always thought of this forum as a place to talk gear and nerd out on it all!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I agree X, I have always thought of this forum as a place to talk gear and nerd out on it all!

For sure. I've gotten so much advice on here and it's nice to throw in my two cents. Also cool to see new people come and read about their growth and then have them add their take on stuff. Never stop learning and trying the new ideas!
  • Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    So...Not interested in seeing my cover of "Last Kiss"???? LOL. I agree that there should be a whole seperate forum for peoples music. I would definitely check it out if it was all in one spot
  • I sort of remember back when my recording project released its album, that someone in a similar situation as me posted his music in other music. And he got ate up saying that it didn't belong there, that it belonged in M & G, LOL. I know after reading the reactions to his post, I was even hesitant to post in here about it! But it is what it is...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• My main point is not to discourage anyone from posting their own stuff. It's the ones that simply post their stuff but never add anything else to the forum. Simply using this as a place for advertisement instead of contributing anything
  • My main point is not to discourage anyone from posting their own stuff. It's the ones that simply post their stuff but never add anything else to the forum. Simply using this as a place for advertisement instead of contributing anything

I know bud, its all good