Car audio experts please help...Ported vs Sealed for Pearl Jam music

I just put a 10" JL audio sub in a sealed box with 250 watt mono amp in my Chevy crew cab and not sure I like it. It seems to have too much bass for pearl jam. I listen to PJ radio 95% of the time with some occasional rap. I tried out a 8" JL in box ported and it sounded real good good but the store was about to close so I just went with the bigger of the two and now regretting it a bit.....The car audio store is a very reputable company where Im from.
I may go back and ask them to switch to the 8"....or maybe just get used to the 10" sealed.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    What kind of help are you looking for?
    If it sounds good with everything else just turn the bass down when you want to listen to PJ. If more often than not it sounds bad, exchange.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I have a ported JL8", and I wish I'd gone with the 10". I would use your head unit to manually adjust the bass to a lower setting.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • adamg5adamg5 Posts: 802

I have a ported JL8", and I wish I'd gone with the 10". I would use your head unit to manually adjust the bass to a lower setting.

Thanks madtowndave for the reply. That's exactly what I just did I lowered the bass setting a couple of notches down on the factory head unit. It sounds better but I'm still leaning toward the 8" ported. What is the reason you want the 10" enclosed?
    I have an appt tomorrow morning to switch out to the 8" I hope I make the right decision :) They are going to let me cruise around with 8" in my truck to see if it is.

Adam