Options

Tears At A Show?

coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
I've been keeping this one to myself for awhile now but figured most of everyone in here has probably shed a tear or two either by themselves in a bedroom or at a live show.

I was fortunate enough to see Ed play solo at the Pearl in Las Vegas. I was sitting next to a couple from LA and I started chatting with the young lady. She asked me if I had seen PJ before? I mentioned that indeed I had....18 times. She gasped and mentioned that her bf was a fan but this was their first time seeing Ed and that they had never seen PJ. She couldn't believe that I had seen them so many times. I told her I was an amateur compared to some and turned around asking the fan behind me how many shows she had seen. 27 she replied. The young lady was even more flabbergasted.

Anyways....you've likely read the reviews about Ed and Boom playing Black.

There was a moment where I was simply overcome with emotion. Black generally does this to me everytime I see the guys play it live but in that moment it really hit me. I had tears streaming down my face, they simply couldn't be contained. The young lady must have looked over at me....I overheard her say to her bf "wow, this guy beside me is sobbing". I was somewhat embarrassed but then I heard "Jesus, you are too!?!" Seems I wasn't the only one in the moment :-)

So I guess that's my little story.

Have you been moved to tears during a live show? If so, to which song? What memories surfaced? Please tell me, that the guy from LA and I weren't the only ones LOL
Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
Leaving is for the answering machine.

Comments

• Options
    I shed many tears ar the Cincy 06 show.
    Many many tears.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Sugar-MagnoliaSugar-Magnolia Loveland, CO Posts: 233
    Pretty sure I tear up at each show I've been to.
    *Denver 04-01-2003*ACL 10-04-2009*Colombus 05-06-2010*Noblesville 05-07-2010*Bridge School 10-23 & 10-24-2010*PJ20 09-03 & 09-04-2011*Deluna Fest 09-21-2012*Wrigley Field 07-19-2013*Ok City 11-16-2013*Moline (Rail, Hometown!)10-17-2014*St Paul 10-19-2014*Milwaukee 10-20-2014*Denver 10-22-2014*
    *Ed Solo: Detroit 06-26-2011, Chicago 06-29-2011*
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    edited August 2014
    Been fortunate enough to see 70 PJ shows and 8 EV shows and there are always those moments. The first show of any tour, the first song usually brings forth tears. Being in Chicago, so many of those first notes of a tour for me have been Release.

Since my mom passed in 2011, certain songs put me in a whole other world when they are played, like Come Back.

Last year in Brooklyn, In Hiding just lit me up inside, 18,000 singing at the top of their lungs. It wasn't tears, but what I imagine heroin feels like to an addict.

Don't hold back or be embarrassed. If Black doesn't move someone to tears, they don't get it.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Been fortunate enough to see 70 PJ shows and 8 EV shows and there are always those moments. The first show of any tour, the first song usually brings forth tears. Being in Chicago, so many of those first notes of a tour for me have been Release.

Since my mom passed in 2011, certain songs put me in a whole other world when they are played, like Come Back.

Last year in Brooklyn, In Hiding just lit me up inside, 18,000 singing at the top of their lungs. It wasn't tears, but what I imagine heroin feels like to an addict.

Don't hold back or be embarrassed. If Black doesn't move someone to tears, they don't get it.

Amen.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Hearing Long Road and seeing the Boston Strong patch on Eddie's arm in Worcester was emotional. In part because it was unexpected. There was a thread on the board requesting the song and I did think we would get it, but Release had just opened the show. I instantly thought "tomorrow." Suddenly it was happening, and there was that patch, and the mutual love between my band and my city that is always on display when they play here. I didn't cry, but I felt it inside.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My first time (of only two!) seeing them was emotional overall.

Definitely had some sniffles when they opened with Long Road - so fucking beautiful and PERFECT - but I think the waterworks came during RVM in its collective release, and In My Tree, so personal to me and meaningful for me and my babe.

And Yellow Led...I like the song alright, but with the mirrorball and the positive energy all around us, such a bittersweet end to one of the best experiences of my life.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I've shed tears at a pearl jam show. Tears of joy from such an amazing experience, surrounded by great music, and awesome people.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    I shed a proverbial tear after Hartford last year because I knew it would be a few years before we had New England shows again.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Of course. It depends a lot I think on the moment, and just what's going on currently with you personally. Even some of the old favorites that you would never expect to effect you can hit you right in the feels, which imho is worse than with songs like come back, long road, man of the hour, etc.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,481
    I shed tears before as well, the 1st time was when I heard Black and that was Toronto 09. 1st time hearing the song live and it was everything I thought it would be
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    Release at Wrigley.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    Get a job man, that's not a good look.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
    I discovered PJ in 1997 and for many many years I didn’t have the economic means to travel to see them play, and it was almost impossible that they would ever play in my country. Needless to say, attending a PJ show was a dream to me. But it finally happened in 2011. I knew I was going to be deeply moved at this show, but I never expected that I would end up in tears with Small Town… it just happened, I was there screaming every word of that song, I thought of all the years that had passed, all the years that I had waited to be there and then I just felt tears coming down. Couldn’t help it.
    And the same thing happened last year in Brooklyn 1 with Release.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
    11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
    10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
    10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
    10/21/13 Philly 1
    10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
    10/25/13 Hartford
    10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    just about every show at some point...
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    edited August 2014
    Come Back in Trieste was emotional for my wife and I. We've heard it before but for some reason that night, that stadium, the thoughts of our two little angels came on like a wave over us. We might have been crazy, but we both felt this breeze on us and knew that they were both there with us, as they're always are, but they made sure to let us know that night.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    hard to imagine at bonnaroo. seeing one of my favorite bands at my favorite place to see shows, on a beautiful evening, and opening with that song- i am honest when i say i am not sure i have ever been happier, and the tears were genuine.
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    Finally got Release at the DC show in '06...I'll admit I was a little teary-eyed :)
  • Options
    CM164177CM164177 Posts: 49
    It was quite a evening at the Pearl. I cannot recalled if there were tears but there was certainly something in the air. You could feel it before the lights went down, that something out of the ordinary was going to go down that night. The combination of the emotion of Black, the crowd that night, and how it all came together made it something special. I still get a chill just typing this now. Just amazing the way a group of strangers can come together in one room and share such an experience is part of the reason Pearl Jam is what they are and hopefully continue to be!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    PJ_Soul said:

Release at Wrigley.

Yesssss!
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Everyone got emotional at Columbus 2010.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    79 shows. No tears. I must not have a soul.
  • Options
    nate_j_ynate_j_y Posts: 41
    Release live everytime
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I'm not a cryer at shows, somehow I'm always too pumped up to cry. But I did shed a tear when they played You Are in Berlin. I was in utter disbelief and somehow this turned into an amazing moment.
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    Some really great stories! Thanks to everyone for sharing!
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    RibbertronRibbertron Posts: 163
    I get tears reading this thread. I have teared up at a show but its always just watery eyes. I try to hold myself together too much.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Release at PJ20
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,313
    Mine was Wash at PJ20.

I've also cried more than a few times while listening to Long Road. Both Live and in the car or at the house. That Long Road really gets to me.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,588

Release at PJ20

I cried during that song too. It was tears of joy because I couldn't believe that I was taking part in such a special weekend!
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • Options
    OctopuS27OctopuS27 Portugal Posts: 569
    Music lovers...i might have shed some when Ed came and played 'Drive All Night' with Glen two years ago. It's sutch a powerfull duet, so well performed. Glad i did.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    1st time EV solo. One of my good friends tragically passed away earlier that year. Man of the Hour killed me.