Options

Grand Central to MSG (and back)?

slug420slug420 Posts: 316
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
I am coming in from CT on metronorth to grand central and am unsure what the best way to get to MSG is (and the best way to get back after the show so as not to miss the last train to CT)

I have very limited (no) experience with getting around NYC and the suggestions I have heard thus far include

Subway from Grand Central to Penn

Shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square and then walk to MSG

Just walk from Grand Central to MSG

what are all the other metro-northers doing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    from xavier mcdaniel...this gets you to tomorrow's preparty...

"you can take the 6 two stops to 23rd and park and walk over. the place is located on 24th between fifth and sixth."
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    walk is abit far

shuttle to times square than take the 2 or 3 train one stop downtown to 34th st

or just walk from times square
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    slug420 wrote:
    I am coming in from CT on metronorth to grand central and am unsure what the best way to get to MSG is (and the best way to get back after the show so as not to miss the last train to CT)

I have very limited (no) experience with getting around NYC and the suggestions I have heard thus far include

Subway from Grand Central to Penn

Shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square and then walk to MSG

Just walk from Grand Central to MSG

what are all the other metro-northers doing?

Ready, here's what you do. You take the "S" train from Grand Central to Times Square. This is the shuttle, all it does is goes back and forth between the two stops, takes about 5 minutes. Once you get to Times Sq. station, you walk over and take the 1 train (or 2 or 3...they're on the same track) DOWNTOWN.....one stop to MSG/Penn station. You are now under the Garden, walk upstairs and you're in. This whole trip will cost you $2.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    slug420slug420 Posts: 316
    chimpat wrote:
    Ready, here's what you do. You take the "S" train from Grand Central to Times Square. This is the shuttle, all it does is goes back and forth between the two stops, takes about 5 minutes. Once you get to Times Sq. station, you walk over and take the 1 train (or 2 or 3...they're on the same track) DOWNTOWN.....one stop to MSG/Penn station. You are now under the Garden, walk upstairs and you're in. This whole trip will cost you $2.

brilliant!

do I need one of those metrocard things or can I pay in coins or cash ?
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    slug420 wrote:
    brilliant!

You need a metrocard, but you can pay for one with cash.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    Walking is about 20 mins depending on your own speed. If its nice out, why not walk.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    slug420 wrote:
    brilliant!

you could even skip the 1 and the 9 and walk down to penn its not that far

but the streets arevery busy in that part of town
  • Options
    GangstacroGangstacro Posts: 104
    Arakias wrote:
    Walking is about 20 mins depending on your own speed. If its nice out, why not walk.

To preserve energy for the most emotionaly charged experience a music fan can endure, that's why!
  • Options
    Gangstacro wrote:
    To preserve energy for the most emotionaly charged experience a music fan can endure, that's why!

consider the walk a warm up. limber up the limbs and the ears (from the likely honking and screeching of traffic).
  • Options
    chimpat wrote:
    You take the "S" train from Grand Central to Times Square. This is the shuttle, all it does is goes back and forth between the two stops, takes about 5 minutes. .

Doesn't the Shuttle stop at like 10PM or something? I seem to recall at that point you need to hop on the 7 instead.
  • Options
    deleted because i dont want to cause confusion.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    walk is abit far

shuttle to times square than take the 2 or 3 train one stop downtown to 34th st

or just walk from times square
    You have been to Times Square????
    :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    the walk between the two isn't bad at all, and it's usually what i do as long as the weather is nice.

i take the harlem line into/out of the city, and the last train out leaves around 1:50 or something like that (check the schedules.. ).

actually, i just checked, and the last train to new haven leaves grand central at 1:49 am.. you don't have to worry about leaving early. in fact, stick around and have a few after the show!
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    wow everyone is making this so complicated for the guy. hes obviously not well versed in NYC travel yet you all want him on subways and shuttles and stuff :)

dude, I can tell you that when you get off the train to walk straight ahead to the huge doors and onec outside, start walking RIGHT, and when you hit ESPN ZONE, start walking LEFT. you will walk right to the front of MSG this way

heres an even better tip:

the cab ride from Grand Central to MSG is a whopping SIX BUCKS! go out of GC, stand in the cab line (it moves fast), and away you go!
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Arakias wrote:
    for after the show are you before stamford on the new haven line or after? the last train to new haven (all stops past stamford) is 11:22 or something i believe. which means you'd miss part of the show unless you are real lucky catching a cab and the show ends at 11 as well. last train to (all stops) stamford is 11:40.

but going back, catch a cab if you want to make your train or leave pretty early, i would say use the subway but ya never know about delays there.

I don't think this is right, I grew up in Fairfield and I'm pretty sure there's still a 1:30am train back on the New Haven line every night.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    chimpat wrote:
    I don't think this is right, I grew up in Fairfield and I'm pretty sure there's still a 1:30am train back on the New Haven line every night.

oh you know what, i am probably wrong. i think the MTA site either doesnt work or firefox doesnt work with it, the trains after midnight button didnt seem to work and i forgot i had a paper schedule on me
    http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I have a related question...

I am staying at my friend's house in CN after the concert. Someone told me to take MetroNorth from the city to CN? Is this true?

What route do I take - and what time do the train / bus / metro stop? He said we might need to leave early...and there's no way in hell.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    Connecticut is CT not CN. If you are staying at your friends house, you might want to ask him. Metronorth does go to CT but you didnt give us enough info to help you out.
  • Options
    state_of_mindstate_of_mind New York City Posts: 6
    Have four bucks cash or credit/debit card. Use machine to buy $4 metrocard (machine will guide you through steps and ask you how much - you don't want unlimited).
    Take S train (grey) to Times Square (as NY PJ1 said), stay in front car, then transfer within the Times Square Station to any downtown red train (1,2,3) one stop to Penn Station. Follow signs up to Garden.
    Going back, 1,2,3 uptown to Times Square. S train stops running around midnight. If it's later, you'll be able to take the 7 (purple) train going downstairs right from the 1,2,3 platform at Times Square. Take two stops to Grand Central. It only goes one direction from Times Square. You'll have used up your $4 metrocard.