Options

Some questions for the Palestinian members

rafierafie Posts: 2,160
I am starting this thread as an attempt to try to understand the thought process of the Palestinian members here on some issues that interest me. The goal of this thread is not to start yet another Israel Vs. Palestine argument or to promote more propaganda. I am not trying to "bait" anyone, so please do not respond as if I am. The goal is to open a dialogue between people with opposing beliefs. I would like to hear personal opinions and not see links to news articles and twitter accounts (seen enough of those these last few days...).
I am not interested in hearing the thought of non-Palestinian members (sorry), so please do not try to "derail" the thread. Thank you.

Hello, My name is Rafie and I am an Israeli. During the recent conflict I have found myself contemplating many issues in an attempt to try to find a middle ground that might lead to the end of conflicts like this. There are a few questions I would like to ask you, as Palestinians, to try to understand your thoughts on the subjects. Feel free to ask me any question you would like to in return. I will NOT answer any accusatory questions that have a goal of turning this into yet another argument.

1) What are your thoughts on the current political landscape of the Palestinian authority? (I am referring to Hamas as opposed to Fatah).
2) What do you think of the actions of Hamas? Do you believe that their actions are helping or hurting the people of Gaza? Please elaborate.
3) I know what you think Israel should do to end the conflict (return to the 1967 borders), but assuming that this will not happen in it's entirety, what do you think would be a reasonable middle ground for both sides?
4) There are 2 distinct Palestinian controlled areas - The Gaza strip and the west bank. In your opinion, which area is doing a better job for the Palestinian people? What can the other side learn from them?
5) Do you have family that you are in contact with living in the region? If so, I would love to hear their thoughts on the subject.

Feel free to PM me if for some reason you do not feel comfortable answering these questions publicly.
Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Palestinians, I would encourage you to reach out to Rafie. He's devoted much time to giving thorough and fair responses to the many questions I've asked him via PM. This is as good of an opportunity to begin meaningful dialogue as any.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    really?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

really?

Yes. Really. Anything wrong with actually trying to get to know the oposite side?
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

• Options
    NOW!
    when homes are destroyed about 10,000, one-quarter of the population displaced and no electricity!
    yhtbfkm
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    JC29856 said:

NOW!
    when homes are destroyed about 10,000, one-quarter of the population displaced and no electricity!
    yhtbfkm

What?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    you wont find many people so heavily oppressed who have the time and means to answer loaded questions on a rock bands forum..thats for us privileged folks who lead comfortable lives
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

you wont find many people so heavily oppressed who have the time and means to answer loaded questions on a rock bands forum..thats for us privileged folks who lead comfortable lives

There are at least 2 members here who have said that they are Palestinian. I would like to know their thoughts. As I said in the beginning of the thread, I am not looking to bait. These are not "loaded questions". Not looking to start an argument, looking to start a dialogue. If you have a problem with that, no need for you to post here. Thank you.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    I believe the people you wan't to answer most likely have already done so ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Don't understand what you mean.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rgambs said:

Exactly
  • Options

I believe you are correct buddy. How's it going my friend? Hope you're doing well
  • Options
    badbrains said:

rgambs said:

Exactly
    Aren't you Palestinian? (At least I recall you saying you were. might have you mixed up with someone else). Is it so hard to believe that an Israeli has genuine interest in trying to see a Palestinians view of the state of their own people without it turning into yet another Israel vs. Palestine argument?

I'll say it again (loudly): THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS TO TRY TO GET TO KNOW SOMEONE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE CONFLICT - NOT TO ARGUE. Why is that so hard to believe?

• Options
    rafie said:

I mean that the people you are seeking have allready posted in the other two threads and made their feelings very clear and i'm not sure there are any posters here that are living in Gaza at the present time ...All good bb i hope you are doing well too !
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    rafie said:

badbrains said:

rgambs said:

Exactly
    Aren't you Palestinian? (At least I recall you saying you were. might have you mixed up with someone else). Is it so hard to believe that an Israeli has genuine interest in trying to see a Palestinians view of the state of their own people without it turning into yet another Israel vs. Palestine argument?

I'll say it again (loudly): THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS TO TRY TO GET TO KNOW SOMEONE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE CONFLICT - NOT TO ARGUE. Why is that so hard to believe?
    Because, sadly, such a thread would be a rarity here on A Moving Train.

I do applaud your efforts to try and start one. I sincerely do.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

rafie said:

I mean that the people you are seeking have allready posted in the other two threads and made their feelings very clear and i'm not sure there are any posters here that are living in Gaza at the present time ...All good bb i hope you are doing well too !
    Jose, the other 2 threads have turned into a battleground, and I am looking to start something else here. I am looking to understand the people who actually have a personal connection to the conflict. Not looking to argue.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

rafie said:

badbrains said:

rgambs said:

Exactly

Because, sadly, such a thread would be a rarity here on A Moving Train.

I do applaud your efforts to try and start one. I sincerely do.

It is sad that we have turned so cynical towards one another. The face that I felt the need to post that disclaimer at the start of the thread is proof of that.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    May I suggest something OP? Try to reach out privately first? I think I understand what you are attempting. I applaud the effort. But I do think private is the way to start. be prepared though, that what you seek isnt going to be reciprocated in the spirit I believe this was offered.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

May I suggest something OP? Try to reach out privately first? I think I understand what you are attempting. I applaud the effort. But I do think private is the way to start. be prepared though, that what you seek isnt going to be reciprocated in the spirit I believe this was offered.

Not 100% sure who here is actually Palestinian and who here just supports them. That is why I have again and again suggested that people PM me if they do not feel comfortable publicly posting an exchange like this.
    Just trying a new approach on the usual crap that goes on here. I have pretty much stayed away from the moving train the past couple of years (haven't really posted much at all the past year on the pit) because it just seems pointless. No one is actually going to sway the opposing side to their way of thinking. Instead of attacking each other, talk to each other. Sad that it is so difficult to do.

• Options
    rafie said:

rafie said:

Jose, the other 2 threads have turned into a battleground, and I am looking to start something else here. I am looking to understand the people who actually have a personal connection to the conflict. Not looking to argue.
    I hear you raffie and i applaud you for trying to do something like this , i hope people will engage you in a civil discussion ...
  • Options
    Rafie, I'm not Palestinian, I'm circassian. We're from south Russia and the Caucasus mountains. We actually have 2 villages of my people in Israel, kofer khaman and reihania (spelled horribly I know). They serve in the idf to because they aren't Arabs. I, like others on here, have been following this conflict/occupation for years and years. I think the time has come to stop this madness. I dnt give a shit if anyone's Muslim, Christian or Jew. We are all humans first. To accept this slaughter as humans is sickening. And I'm hopeful with seeing the people of Israel starting to say enough that it WILL stop. Because if they don't, THERE WONT BE A GAZA left.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Rafie, I'm not Palestinian, I'm circassian. We're from south Russia and the Caucasus mountains. We actually have 2 villages of my people in Israel, kofer khaman and reihania (spelled horribly I know). They serve in the idf to because they aren't Arabs. I, like others on here, have been following this conflict/occupation for years and years. I think the time has come to stop this madness. I dnt give a shit if anyone's Muslim, Christian or Jew. We are all humans first. To accept this slaughter as humans is sickening. And I'm hopeful with seeing the people of Israel starting to say enough that it WILL stop. Because if they don't, THERE WONT BE A GAZA left.

Thank you for finally taking me seriously. The part I bolded sums it up perfectly as far as I am concerned.
    I am actually a neighbor of your people. I live in a town called Kfar Tavor which is around a 5 minute drive from Kfar khama. The grocery store in our town is run by circassians.Our kids go to school together with their kids starting from 7th grade. Do you have any family living here?

• Options
    @LayanBaker

War is not over there's a new one for finding shelter, water, electricity.....but I will make time to answer questions on the pearl jam bulletin board
  • Options
    Rafie, I have friends in those villages but no family. But as small of a group as we are, maybe somehow we are related lol. Tavor ey, ya my cousin told me about that village. You got a hill called mt tavor and has a Christian montasary up there? My cousin wrote the name of his band on a rock up there. Look for a "students of life" tag on a rock up there lol
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    JC29856 said:
    aww man cmon.
    dude cant be left with his human being to human being request?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Rafie, I have friends in those villages but no family. But as small of a group as we are, maybe somehow we are related lol. Tavor ey, ya my cousin told me about that village. You got a hill called mt tavor and has a Christian montasary up there? My cousin wrote the name of his band on a rock up there. Look for a "students of life" tag on a rock up there lol

My house overlooks the mountain. Next time I am up there I will look for it :))

Glad we can have a civil human moment despite our different outlooks on things. If you ever decide to visit your friends, you are welcome to come visit me too :-).

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Amen, mickey. Pretty cool to see the dialogue happening in this thread.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

JC29856 said:
    aww man cmon.
    dude cant be left with his human being to human being request?
    yeah, like when i asked my neighbor to help me light my grill while his house was burning down

"turn it over its burnin, its burnin! okay... okay... i just want some chips"
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    Is there a point to your trolling?

• Options
    hedonist said:

Amen, mickey. Pretty cool to see the dialogue happening in this thread.

yes it is :)>-