OMGoodness, Has Anybody Here Ever Had Surgery & Viewed The Procedure?

g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
edited July 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
Well I just did and I'm quite used to things relating to the medical field. However, at the first look I couldn't believe that's what they did to my left ankle. Mine was more complicated than what I viewed but that was tough to see what they did for 2.5 hours.

Viewer discretion is advised....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UeaD8hEm91g

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by g under p on

Comments

• northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Watched both of my knee surgeries, was the coolest shit ever.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    edited July 2014

Watched both of my knee surgeries, was the coolest shit ever.

Really, I had right knee arthroscopic surgery but I was under anesthesia for an hour. Too much hockey, basketball plain too much sports wear and tear. I had the best doctor on that one it was President Clinton's doctor 10 years ago.

So you were able to watch the procedure, wow I think I would've loved to have watched mine. As you can see I got plenty of time on my hands for 2 months minimum.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Ya I had a pretty bad knee injury when I was young from playing floor hockey. Took me 7 yrs to get the docs to believe me that it was a major issue (having your leg kick out almost 90 degrees to the side while on a work experience in a hospital makes that happen real quick) and then another 5 yrs to get the first surgery due to me moving all over the province. After all that time I made them give me an epidural so that I could see what was going on and make sure they actually fixed the issue.
    The first one was an arthroscopic surgery to see what was going on and we thought maybe we would have to remove some torn cartilage. Turns out it was more messed up than we thought and I would need a second more complex surgery to fix the issue.
    The second one they had to go in from a 3 inch incision down the side of my knee. This one involved abrading tissue and sewing it to my meniscus to create scar tissue so I wouldn't have to have all the cartilage in my left knee removed before I hit 25. They gave me 10 to 15 yrs before I might have to get more surgery so we shall see how it goes over then next few yrs.
    The coolest part is the inside of a damaged knee looks a little like undersea adventures. It's all white and there were little bits of tissue waving around like kelp in the current.
    That second one put me on crutches for 6 weeks with 3 months of rehab to get me somewhat back to normal.
    Good luck with your recovery and try not to go crazy with boredom and frustration as that hit at about 4 weeks for me and resulted in a broken pinky toe on the good foot. Not a good scene - FYI moonshine(at least once I broke the toe) and pot helped.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.

Ya I had a pretty bad knee injury when I was young from playing floor hockey. Took me 7 yrs to get the docs to believe me that it was a major issue (having your leg kick out almost 90 degrees to the side while on a work experience in a hospital makes that happen real quick) and then another 5 yrs to get the first surgery due to me moving all over the province. After all that time I made them give me an epidural so that I could see what was going on and make sure they actually fixed the issue.
    The first one was an arthroscopic surgery to see what was going on and we thought maybe we would have to remove some torn cartilage. Turns out it was more messed up than we thought and I would need a second more complex surgery to fix the issue.
    The second one they had to go in from a 3 inch incision down the side of my knee. This one involved abrading tissue and sewing it to my meniscus to create scar tissue so I wouldn't have to have all the cartilage in my left knee removed before I hit 25. They gave me 10 to 15 yrs before I might have to get more surgery so we shall see how it goes over then next few yrs.
    The coolest part is the inside of a damaged knee looks a little like undersea adventures. It's all white and there were little bits of tissue waving around like kelp in the current.
    That second one put me on crutches for 6 weeks with 3 months of rehab to get me somewhat back to normal.
    Good luck with your recovery and try not to go crazy with boredom and frustration as that hit at about 4 weeks for me and resulted in a broken pinky toe on the good foot. Not a good scene - FYI moonshine(at least once I broke the toe) and pot helped.

Oh yes I know exactly what you're talking about in the undersea adventures. While moving I came across my knee surgery pictures and its exactly like you described. They had to clean out my cartilage it was so shredded and loose.

As for ankle and dealing with the pain...I had Percocet now Vicodin which helps with at times shooting pain. I had a miserable night last night and trying to keep my foot constantly elevated is tough. Some smoke would certainly help in this situation, lots of itching. Tomorrow I get the cast off for a moment to get the staples and the stitching out. Hopefully I can soothe some the itching for a little while till I'm back in a new cast for 3 more weeks. At least I can drive with this being my left foot.

Peace

edited July 2014
    Oh the itching, makes you almost wish for surgery with no anesthetic :p. Just try and get all the dead skin off and some oil(like vitamin E) rubbed into the skin will help for a few days at least.
    Keeping the injured area elevated is always a challenge. I built a pillow ramp, two down at the foot and one running the length of my leg from my knee down to the ankle as I'm currently healing from a torn ligament in my left ankle. Even with all that I gotta say there is nothing worse than being ripped from sleep because it feels like your body is literally being torn apart at the injury site if you move even the tiniest bit wrong. As for the herb I found ingesting worked best. Took the edge off the pain and didn't mess with your body like the scrips do.
    If the boredom gets to be too much let me know and we can swap injury stories or chat about whatever - except hockey seeing as you're from Boston :D.
    Post edited by northerndragon on

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    what they did for my rectal cancer, I would rather not see. [-X
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

what they did for my rectal cancer, I would rather not see. [-X

Oh I can agree with that one.

Peace

• madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I want to be knocked out cold whenever possible.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I crushed my hand in 2010 and had 7 surgeries in 6 months. While prepping for the 5th surgery, I asked my surgeon if I could stay awake during the procedure. I made my case that I was a firefighter and was used to seeing the blood, bones, gore, and nasty stuff. He told me that there's was no chance in hell he would let me stay awake during the surgery. He said that seeing it on yourself is way different than seeing it on others. I assumed it was because if there was a mistake mad, he wouldn't want me seeing it. (Like I'd know anyway!)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    My god you people have some balls (and/or strong stomachs :D). I had blood drawn the other day and had to look at the ceiling and deep-breathe.

Color me impressed!

(and also sorry for the pain and procedures being endured)
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I did not view any of my bowel resections..

I could not imagine watching this. I got a little freaked out just picturing this video as my stomach....
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    hedonist said:

My god you people have some balls (and/or strong stomachs :D). I had blood drawn the other day and had to look at the ceiling and deep-breathe.

Color me impressed!

(and also sorry for the pain and procedures being endured)

Once Hedonist I was playing A level travel softball, I was the catcher that tournament and a rocket of a throw came into the plate. I happen to catch it with my bare hand, felt something and the opposing player was safe. Disappointed I angrily threw the ball back to the pitcher after time was called. A line of blood hit the pitcher in his face, I checked myself only to see my pinkie in a complete L shape. My comment was that's not supposed to look like that. I look at my pitcher and said only one thing to do snap it back so I did.

Peace

I crushed my hand in 2010 and had 7 surgeries in 6 months. While prepping for the 5th surgery, I asked my surgeon if I could stay awake during the procedure. I made my case that I was a firefighter and was used to seeing the blood, bones, gore, and nasty stuff. He told me that there's was no chance in hell he would let me stay awake during the surgery. He said that seeing it on yourself is way different than seeing it on others. I assumed it was because if there was a mistake mad, he wouldn't want me seeing it. (Like I'd know anyway!)

Seeing it on yourself is way easier to take as it's all kinda surreal, the fascination negates the gross factor. You're probably right and he just didn't want you to witness any potential issues or errors. If I can make it happen I want to be conscious for all of my surgeries, not that I want more surgeries but I probably have at least three in my future. It helps that I've always stuff like that is super cool.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

It helps that I've always stuff like that is super cool.

See, that's the mindset I wish I had - that I've tried to have, with no luck.

g, "snap it back so I did"? Holy hell man!

hedonist said:

It helps that I've always stuff like that is super cool.

See, that's the mindset I wish I had - that I've tried to have, with no luck.

g, "snap it back so I did"? Holy hell man!

Hedonist you know how it is....it was hot and I was in the heat of the moment and didn't think twice about it. It was the best time to do it than to wait till things calmed down....oh the things adrenaline can make one do. Wrapped it up and I was good to go after that and we ended winning the whole thing back 2 back.

Peace

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I wanted to watch my c-section but they wouldn't let me. I thought it would have been cool.
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    I watched my own vascectomy... The only thing worse than watching it was smelling it.
    Yup there is no smell quite like the smell of burning human flesh. But you work around for long enough you start not to notice.

• marilormarilor Posts: 618
    I would like to be able to see my caesarian to see my child's birth...but they put this sheet so i couldn't see it...it's a shame for me !
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
    Ok went into my doctors office today and I got a scolding from him. He started to take my staples out and stopped....it wasn't healed enough. (On a side note for months I've been trying to figure out where the hell those smiley thingies were I just accidentally found them). Ok back to the topic....he asked me if I smoked no, if I'm diabetic no, have I been eating NO! What, he said I need to eat, lots and lots of protein to help this heal. In fact I've lost weight maybe 5-10lbs.

Then I noticed something and this goes out to everyone who goes to a doctor or has had surgery....pay attention carefully to the doctors and the technicians. I noticed the difference in the cast I have on now (green) than my previous one. This one I can't move what's so ever while the other one I could reach down in that one scratch and it was so loose. When I was to get that cast I asked for Henry but he was very busy so I had to take Eric. Next week Tuesday I'm going to demand Henry or no cast is going to be placed on me. I bet you anything that it contributed to my ankle not healing completely.

Also I must keep my foot up really high up above my heart. Oh the hospital of my surgery was just down the street, so I picked up my itemized bill. I almost had a heart attack, my jaw dropped, I was guessing around $25,000 with a 3 day stay over the 4th of July. None of you could guess how much my bill came up to.WOW!

Peace

• IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Had surgery once 7 years ago, I didn't want to go under, so requested they allow me to state awake, and so, that's what happened.

It was incredibly weird. I hope I never need another surgery, but if I do, I'd for sure still want to be awake again.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I felt my eye get stitched up could feel the internal and external stitching, the pulling and the tugging even though there was anestetic
    g under p said:

Ok went into my doctors office today and I got a scolding from him. He started to take my staples out and stopped....it wasn't healed enough. (On a side note for months I've been trying to figure out where the hell those smiley thingies were I just accidentally found them). Ok back to the topic....he asked me if I smoked no, if I'm diabetic no, have I been eating NO! What, he said I need to eat, lots and lots of protein to help this heal. In fact I've lost weight maybe 5-10lbs.

Then I noticed something and this goes out to everyone who goes to a doctor or has had surgery....pay attention carefully to the doctors and the technicians. I noticed the difference in the cast I have on now (green) than my previous one. This one I can't move what's so ever while the other one I could reach down in that one scratch and it was so loose. When I was to get that cast I asked for Henry but he was very busy so I had to take Eric. Next week Tuesday I'm going to demand Henry or no cast is going to be placed on me. I bet you anything that it contributed to my ankle not healing completely.

Also I must keep my foot up really high up above my heart. Oh the hospital of my surgery was just down the street, so I picked up my itemized bill. I almost had a heart attack, my jaw dropped, I was guessing around $25,000 with a 3 day stay over the 4th of July. None of you could guess how much my bill came up to.WOW!

Peace

Uuuummmm I'm gonna go with $81632.41 but since it was over a long weekend it may of even cracked 100 grand.
    As for the cast the first one always ends up being really loose pretty fast as you were all swollen and puffed up when they put it on. As you heal the swelling goes down and they get loose real fast. Your Doc was right though if your not eating properly then your body can't expend the extra energy needed to heal the injury in a timely manner.
    Hopefully the new cast will help but really eat what the Dr. told you to(lots of fish like salmon, eggs and lots of leafy greens that aren't lettuce are really beneficial), it will make a difference.

• Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    Hmmmm... Hospital's itemized submission to the insurance company was astronomically high? Must have been the surgical procedure itself. 8 days in the hospital for me with four days in PCU and a round of chemotherapy and the insurance was billed just over 7 grand. We paid around 400 of that. So I'll guess 94000

g under p said:

Peace

Uuuummmm I'm gonna go with $81632.41 but since it was over a long weekend it may of even cracked 100 grand.
    As for the cast the first one always ends up being really loose pretty fast as you were all swollen and puffed up when they put it on. As you heal the swelling goes down and they get loose real fast. Your Doc was right though if your not eating properly then your body can't expend the extra energy needed to heal the injury in a timely manner.
    Hopefully the new cast will help but really eat what the Dr. told you to(lots of fish like salmon, eggs and lots of leafy greens that aren't lettuce are really beneficial), it will make a difference.

Well both of you know your stuff Tenzing N. Your guesses are about spot on it around $103,689,00. A friend told that the bill sent to insurance/workmanship comp is set high then if the insurance haggles with the hospital it could drop to 60-70 thousand.

Yes my foot was swollen but that technician didn't double wrap my leg like Henry. It was so thin and loose, now next week when my doctor attempts to take the staples out I bet you it will be properly healed. There was just way too much movement in the cast besides I think I was on my feet just a bit too much.

I getting some kale, salmon, eggs, milk with a protein shake mix. That should add 10lbs real quick.

Peace

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    oh hell no. I had surgery inside my face and I asked the doc if I would be knocked out for it and he goes "of course... leaving you awake would be like medieval torture"

Even if the surgery on my leg had gone through I'd have asked to be knocked out completely if it were an option. I feel like my own anxiety would probably fuck shit up.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435