Customer service???

cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
edited July 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/this-may-be-the-worst-customer-service-call-in-history-91851980684.html

Click the link if you want to hear the phone call.

Comcast Serves Up What May Be the Worst Customer Service Call in History

Alyssa Bereznak
Alyssa Bereznak
Tech Columnist
July 15, 2014

Comcast Serves Up What May Be the Worst Customer Service Call in History

You probably have your own fair share of cable-provider horror stories. But former Comcast customer Ryan Block’s may very well take the cake.

Block, the former editor of the tech site Engadget and a product developer at AOL, recently shared his story/living nightmare on Twitter. Block’s wife, the writer Veronica Belmont, called Comcast to cancel the current service because the household was switching to Astound. Belmont was transferred to the “cancellations” line and handed the phone over to her husband. That’s when the terrorizing began, and Block decided to record the conversation and post it to SoundCloud.

Comcast victim Ryan Block (Via Twitter.)

Per Block’s explanation:

“The representative (name redacted) continued aggressively repeating his questions, despite the answers given, to the point where my wife became so visibly upset she handed me the phone. Overhearing the conversation, I knew this would not be very fun.

“What I did not know is how oppressive this conversation would be. Within just a few minutes the representative had gotten so condescending and unhelpful I felt compelled to record the speakerphone conversation on my other phone.

“This recording picks up roughly 10 minutes into the call, whereby she and I have already played along and given a myriad of reasons and explanations as to why we are canceling (which is why I simply stopped answering the rep’s repeated question — it was clear the only sufficient answer was ‘Okay, please don’t disconnect our service after all.’).”

The call starts like this:

Block: We’d like to disconnect please.

Comcast rep: Why is it that you don’t want the faster speed? Help me understand why you don’t want faster internet.

Block: Help me understand why you can’t disconnect us.

Comcast rep: Because my job is to have a conversation with you about keeping your service, about finding out why it is that you’re looking to cancel the service.

Block: I don’t understand …

Comcast rep: If you don’t want to talk to me, you can definitely go into the Comcast store and disconnect your service there.

And it goes on for another seven more excruciating minutes.

But, seriously, listen for yourself. The Comcast representative’s utter determination to keep Block with the provider comes off as both unhelpful and disdainful; it’s like the worst part of every conversation I’ve had with cable provider stitched together into some cruel eight-minute sound bite. At one point, an exasperated Block even wonders aloud if the whole thing is a joke.

Since the recording has spread, Comcast released a statement on behalf of the employee, who remains unnamed.

“We are very embarrassed by the way our employee spoke with Mr. Block and are contacting him to personally apologize. The way in which our representative communicated with him is unacceptable and not consistent with how we train our customer service representatives. We are investigating this situation and will take quick action. While the overwhelming majority of our employees work very hard to do the right thing every day, we are using this very unfortunate experience to reinforce how important it is to always treat our customers with the utmost respect.”

Sure, Comcast. We’re sure you do.
Post edited by cutz on

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I got scolded by Verizon for not wanting to add a landline to the account I was cancelling.

Understood they're doing their job (I think I'd retch every morning were I in their shoes; knocking wood now), but making your customers - even they're soon to be former ones, they're still human beings - feel like shit and make yourself look like an asshole in the process?

To put it eloquently...

Fuckers!
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Just last week my girlfriend had to deal with Comcast for her work. The customer rep. was condescending, argumentative and eventually called her a liar. She's usually a pretty cool cucumber, but this sent her over the edge. After hanging up she called back, thankfully getting another rep, not only to resolve her initial problem, but to complain about the first guy (which she NEVER does). She understands that sometimes people are having a bad day or it's their first day or whatever, but this guy was a blatant asshole. Nice customer service.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    that is brutal! that guy held it together better than i would have.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    chadwick said:

Agreed. I would have lost my shit.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I hate Comcast. Used to have them and dealing with them is like dealing with the Taliban
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I just moved to a new apartment, which required a different set of boxes for cable/internet. I had to call to cancel my one apartment once I activated my new apartment service. I called to confirm twice that my old service was canceled but I am waiting to be charged.....
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823

chadwick said:

Agreed. I would have lost my shit.
    Absolutely. I have lost my shit on comcast plenty of times for much less than what this guy went through. What a terrible company.
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    The customer was more annoying and more pain in the ass than the customer service rep. Just fucking tell the guy why you want to cancel. The CSR has valid points...guy is a customer for a decade and then all of a sudden wants to cancel? Why? What did they do? If I'm Comcast, I give that CSR a raise for attempting to retain the customer instead of just sayin okay, you're disconnected...have a nice day. The actual customer could've ended that call way before it got to that length by giving the courtesy to the company to let them know where they failed to upset a decade long customer.

If the guy is going to Verizon and he thought Comcast was bad?? Lol...Fios is 1000000% worse in that CSR department. It's actually not even a contest.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
    JV130312 said:

The customer was more annoying and more pain in the ass than the customer service rep. Just fucking tell the guy why you want to cancel. The CSR has valid points...guy is a customer for a decade and then all of a sudden wants to cancel? Why? What did they do? If I'm Comcast, I give that CSR a raise for attempting to retain the customer instead of just sayin okay, you're disconnected...have a nice day. The actual customer could've ended that call way before it got to that length by giving the courtesy to the company to let them know where they failed to upset a decade long customer.

If the guy is going to Verizon and he thought Comcast was bad?? Lol...Fios is 1000000% worse in that CSR department. It's actually not even a contest.

A certain degree of retention is acceptable. This CSR went over the line. As customers, we don't owe Comcast/ Charter/ etc. a reason. As soon as AT&T Uverse is offered in my area, I'll be swapping. My Charter service is good, and I've never had a bad experience with them, and I know AT&T offers more services at cheaper prices. My Charter bill is ridiculous, they up it at the end of every contract, and there is nothing I can do about it except to leave.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Then all you would have to do if you were the Customer in that all is say that the AT&T is cheaper.

Anytime my contract is up, I just call, tell them I am considering going to FiOS and they switch me to a better rate. It's a phone call that takes maybe 15 minutes every two years...lol. It's not difficult IMO...and the rates are cheaper than FiOS.

Never had a problem with Comcast Customer Service. Knock on wood...lol.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,491
    sad thing is verizon is just as bad. they have us by the balls. that is why they can afford to treat us like shit.
    www.myspace.com

sad thing is verizon is just as bad. they have us by the balls. that is why they can afford to treat us like shit.

+1
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    MayDay10 said:

I hate Comcast. Used to have them and dealing with them is like dealing with the Taliban

The Taliban gets better, more reliable service.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154

Honestly though, I just switched carriers from Verizon to Mobilenation and my service doesn't compare. I paid an arm and a leg, but my service was spot-on.

Now, I have to wait 22 months to switch back.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    JV130312 said:

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. In no way shape or form does the customer have to explain his/herself to a rep. The CSR should ask why once or twice, maybe even offer some sort of discount to retain the customer. But after that, it's over. I don't care if the person was a customer for 50 years, the customer is not required to give anyone a reason why they do jot wish to continue service. I can think of one exception, if the customer is under contract and doesn't complete the terms. Then the CSR can be more assertive. The Comcast CSR in this call shouldn't be fired, but he should be reprimanded.

That being said, Block was being a douche bag and baited the CSR.

My experiences Verizon has been much, much worse and it's not even close. Verizon Wireless on the other hand has been one of the best Customer service I've ever dealt with. Not one complaint about them...

JV130312 said:

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. In no way shape or form does the customer have to explain his/herself to a rep. The CSR should ask why once or twice, maybe even offer some sort of discount to retain the customer. But after that, it's over. I don't care if the person was a customer for 50 years, the customer is not required to give anyone a reason why they do jot wish to continue service. I can think of one exception, if the customer is under contract and doesn't complete the terms. Then the CSR can be more assertive. The Comcast CSR in this call shouldn't be fired, but he should be reprimanded.

How can he offer a discount if the customer isn't telling him the reason why they want to cancel?

JV130312 said:

+1
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Sometimes you just want to be done with a company. No discount would be enough to retain you. A reason is not required.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited July 2014
    Comment regarding customer service in general:

My husband has had his auto insurance through Geico for quite awhile now. Drives a 2010 Camaro, minimal mileage - ie, around 3,000 miles annual - but also had a policy with them when he first moved out here and had a truck. No claims filed on either vehicle in 14 years.

Ever since getting the Camaro, Geico's been sending him forms requesting (*edit - demanding) confirmation of the odometer reading and yearly miles driven. When asked why, "because other drivers have been lying about this."

Makes much sense to harass your many honest customers instead of going after some skeevy assholes. So last night, he had it out with them. The chick he was speaking with gave him pre-programmed rhetoric bullshit to the point that he cancelled coverage on the spot.

This morning, he purchased a brand-spanking-new policy with Progressive. Same (actually, better) coverage, plus saving a few bucks (and irritation) in the process.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    I don't blame him for switching.
    hedonist said:

Comment regarding customer service in general:

My husband has had his auto insurance through Geico for quite awhile now. Drives a 2010 Camaro, minimal mileage - ie, around 3,000 miles annual - but also had a policy with them when he first moved out here and had a truck. No claims filed on either vehicle in 14 years.

Ever since getting the Camaro, Geico's been sending him forms requesting (*edit - demanding) confirmation of the odometer reading and yearly miles driven. When asked why, "because other drivers have been lying about this."

Makes much sense to harass your many honest customers instead of going after some skeevy assholes. So last night, he had it out with them. The chick he was speaking with gave him pre-programmed rhetoric bullshit to the point that he cancelled coverage on the spot.

This morning, he purchased a brand-spanking-new policy with Progressive. Same (actually, better) coverage, plus saving a few bucks (and irritation) in the process.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    edited July 2014
    Customer service hall of shame(this article gives the TOP 10>LOL)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/customer-hall-shame-161938050.html