Driving while on cell phone?

Well worth the 1:42 to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlxjng8h3Tc
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2014
    A good remainder...accidents happens so fast..I have crashed one time, it was really scary, just one moment of distraction..(this was not because of a cellphone though, I would never use one during driving)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Some people have (allowed themselves to) become slaves to their phones...to that connectivity. God forbid a call or text goes unseen or unanswered for a little bit. God forbid we focus on what's around us, who's around us, what we're doing at the moment.

I've come to despise the act of conducting a loud phone conversation on elevators, of people just stopping in the middle of the grocery aisle because they're texting, of having a near-collision almost every day while driving because some fuckwad can't refrain from indulging their narcissism and self-importance. I must see and respond!

Not sure if this promo will ultimately do any good, but I sure hope so.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Nobody in the audience flinched
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I don't know....I think self-righteousness, for one, is alot closer to narcissism than stopping to text in a grocery store aisle will ever be
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    People who play with their phones while driving are just as bad as drunk drivers in my book.... and SO many people do it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,633
    rollings said:

I don't know....I think self-righteousness, for one, is alot closer to narcissism than stopping to text in a grocery store aisle will ever be

Agreed. Taking a look at one's self and understanding one's own weaknesses is always a good thing. As for me, I'm sure as heck not going to cast the first stone.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

PJ_Soul said:

People who play with their phones while driving are just as bad as drunk drivers in my book.... and SO many people do it!

I worry a little about either losing one of the kids in my extended family or them ruining their life by killing someone. Hopefully them seeing the video will do more than some grumpy old geezer telling them what do do.

brianlux said:

rollings said:

Agreed. Taking a look at one's self and understanding one's own weaknesses is always a good thing. As for me, I'm sure as heck not going to cast the first stone.

Maybe it's a turn of phrase. Maybe just call it selfishness? Unless an emergency, I'd never just STOP to conduct my shit, others be damned!

And for all my faults and hypocrasies, I have no trouble casting judgmental stones at those who don't give a shit about others. I do, for the most part (give a shit, that is).

Might just come down to manners, though when on the road - wish simple safety and common sense would prevail.
    rollings said:

When I read this it got me to thinking- do I come across a self righteous? Then I read Hedonist's comments which illustrate her self-confidence. If I seem self righteous it's probably due to covering up lack of self confidence. Humbling thoughts. I feel very flawed.

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    It should be the exact same fine and license suspension as DUI ... and DUI penalties should be increased 10 times. People are fucking stupid.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    edited July 2014
    Agreed with Lukin...a guy cut me off the other day, I was going 70 down the freeway and he just butts in right in front of me almost making me rear end him...didn't signal nothing....asshole was on his damn phone....I was so pissed off....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    edited July 2014
    brianlux said:

rollings said:

When I read this it got me to thinking- do I come across a self righteous? Then I read Hedonist's comments which illustrate her self-confidence. If I seem self righteous it's probably due to covering up lack of self confidence. Humbling thoughts. I feel very flawed.

I'm honestly flummoxed by this! Was just throwing out some thoughts on those who have little to no consideration of others when going about their lives...similar to what lukin and Whisperin mentioned. Yes, I do think people like that are assholes and have no problem saying so.

Wasn't my intent to upset or offend anyone with my choice of wording amid the thoughts I posted.
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

rollings said:

I'm honestly flummoxed by this! Was just throwing out some thoughts on those who have little to no consideration of others when going about their lives...similar to what lukin and Whisperin mentioned. Yes, I do think people like that are assholes and have no problem saying so.

Wasn't my intent to upset or offend anyone with my choice of wording amid the thoughts I posted.
    Not offended at all, H. Your words are always wise and well chosen.

Cool beans, Brian. Thanks.
    hedonist said:

Cool beans, Brian. Thanks.

"Cool beans", hahaha! I like that. :-)

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Driving with a phone is just such a stupid idea for those who are overly confident or not, when I used to be confident I used to eat ice-creme while driving a breeze but I cant even drive confidently now, and I wish I could just drive without the panick attacks if I could drive without those I would still steer away from the cell phone, seen too many accidents that send shivers down your spine, no thank you
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

rollings said:

i had to look up 'flummoxed.' it was not in the first dictionary i grabbed. i said to myself, "geewiz that heedonist has som vocabulary"

i looked it up using a online dictionary. i then went & got some flaxseed & was flaxseeded to join the crowd

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

i had to look up 'flummoxed.' it was not in the first dictionary i grabbed. i said to myself, "geewiz that heedonist has som vocabulary"

i looked it up using a online dictionary. i then went & got some flaxseed & was flaxseeded to join the crowd

Well, I just love words and language...used to read random pages of the dictionary as a kid.

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    in 7th & 8th grade i had to open a dictionary in study hall & write down words & definitions because i didn't have homework i was working on. damn

cells & driving?
    i haven't anything to add much other than i think drive thru fast food joints are worse
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    It's obvious why that crashed occured. The guy was driving in the wrong side.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    it's crazy how cavalier some people are behind the wheel. I guess being inside a car makes them seem invincible. can't believe anyone can ever defend being on the phone in the car.

and people with their cell phones and taking selfies has become ridiculous. saw 2 different couples on Saturday night in a local bar taking selfies. do you really need to take a pictures of having a beer in a local fucking bar?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    There's always a lag for morals to catch up to new technology, and cell phone use in the car is a good example of this. While most everyone understands intellectually, that texting and driving is dangerous, it's with talking on the phone and driving that you get the whole range of opinions and behavior. It's also confusing because depending on what state your in, you can blab away with no restrictions, some have hands free only laws, some ban any cell use with "novice drivers", and some states it's still legal to text and drive. This confuses the issue, because the actual distraction is having a conversation with someone who's not in the car. The brain uses up space reserved to create visual images when in a conversation with someone. When you're not using this brain power to focus on the road, your brain doesn't see things. Also, auto makers aren't helping by having all the distracting technology integrated into the car. This and the mix of laws suggests to people that being on the phone while driving is fine.

There's always a lag for morals to catch up to new technology, and cell phone use in the car is a good example of this. While most everyone understands intellectually, that texting and driving is dangerous, it's with talking on the phone and driving that you get the whole range of opinions and behavior. It's also confusing because depending on what state your in, you can blab away with no restrictions, some have hands free only laws, some ban any cell use with "novice drivers", and some states it's still legal to text and drive. This confuses the issue, because the actual distraction is having a conversation with someone who's not in the car. The brain uses up space reserved to create visual images when in a conversation with someone. When you're not using this brain power to focus on the road, your brain doesn't see things. Also, auto makers aren't helping by having all the distracting technology integrated into the car. This and the mix of laws suggests to people that being on the phone while driving is fine.

That's an interesting observation, Go Beavers. I found the chart in the link that follows and it does, indeed, show that the laws vary state by state. My home state, California, has some of the most restrictive laws and yet on my short commute to work in a semi-rural area it is not at all difficult to spot people talking on their cell phones or texting. When I occasionally drive down to the greater Sacramento metropolitan area it is very easy to spot people on their cell phones. So this brings into the picture another factor: enforcement of the cell phone laws... or lack of enforcement.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/cellphone_laws.html