Acoustic Guitar Amplifer

Hi there!

I'm on the market for an acoustic guitar amplifier, and I figured I'd reach out to the community I trust most. My guitar's a Gibson J-45 PureVoice Custom with a Trance Audio Amulet M (dual mono - one output is for mids and highs, and the other is dedicated specifically to the E and A strings), and I typically like a warm sound. Ideally, something with 48V Phantom Power so I can handle vocals as well would be spectacular.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks a bunch!

Ben
'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I have the Fender Acoustasonic DSP jr. I love it and it can handle vocals.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    Bump on a Fender Acoustasonic. Treble, Mids, & Bass at like level 1-3, pure amp setting, just a touch of chorus.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    My favorites are the Fishman Loudbox and Genz Benz Shenandoah amps. I've always felt like the Acoustisonic amps are a bit midrangey, and the Trace Elliot stuff is nice but a bit trebly. The Fishman and Genz Benz stuff are both pretty neutral, can be punchy in the room (helpful if playing with a band), and work great on a stage.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Fishmans are top grade. If you don't go with a Fender, the Fishman is great (a bit pricier, though)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,103

Fishmans are top grade. If you don't go with a Fender, the Fishman is great (a bit pricier, though)

Thanks for your help, everyone! On my list to try:

FIshman Loudbox Artist
    Genz Benz Shenandoah
    Fender Acoustasonic
    Ultrasound DS4
    Marshall AS50D
    Roland AC-60

I'd heard great things about the Genz Benz, so that and the Fishman are definitely towards the top of my list. Particularly interesting about the Loudbox Artist, compared to the smaller Loudbox, is that it actually has a 1" tweeter for highs, which is pretty neat.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    For the most part, a proper acoustic amp should basically resemble a small full-range PA system. Most of them will have some k.ind of tweeter, if not some form of full-range driver (a la Bose). Some people with a proper acoustic preamp will use a small powered speaker in place of an acoustic amp, like a JBL Eon or Mackie SRM.

If you end up liking an acoustic amp that doesn't have phantom power, you can always get a separate battery-powered phantom power supply. You must be using some kind of condenser mic, since you could use a normal dynamic mic with any XLR-enabled acoustic amps. Are you busking with the amp? Or using it for rehearsals or small performances?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.