Hiding The Truth

PapPap Posts: 28,759
edited June 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
Facebook can be depressing because everyone else's lives are better than yours... But are they really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVZYiJKl1Y

"Live life to the fullest, and focus on the positive." - Matt Cameron
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
Post edited by Pap on

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    Oooh that looked depressing poor guy :(
  • PapPap Posts: 28,759
    He's just an actor. Imagine the thousands of Facebook users... That's really sad...
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Thats truely sad, people are actually addicted to facebook, I just like family pics and recipes I want to cook..
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    There appears to be a "right now" missing in the title ;)

Maybe because I'm a fairly private person, I've never been drawn to participate in the social media craze (aside from posting here). The people who might possibly give a shit about what I'm doing, what I'm thinking, what I'm smoking, what food I'm eating...prefer to be shared personally, individually.

I think the desire to memorialize so much of ourselves - even or especially the trivial - takes away from actual experiences. Takes away from life, from face-to-face interactions.

What is its root? Sure, some good and coming together has happened via Facebook. Toss that aside, is it just narcissism? Look at me, look at my kid, here's what I bought.

Not to mention the dumbing-down of language.

(anyone remember that Curb episode where the one chick said "LOL" to Larry instead of actually laughing?)

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited June 2014
    hedonist said:

Maybe because I'm a fairly private person, I've never been drawn to participate in the social media craze (aside from posting here). The people who might possibly give a shit about what I'm doing, what I'm thinking, what I'm smoking, what food I'm eating...prefer to be shared personally, individually.

I think the desire to memorialize so much of ourselves - even or especially the trivial - takes away from actual experiences. Takes away from life, from face-to-face interactions.

What is its root? Sure, some good and coming together has happened via Facebook. Toss that aside, is it just narcissism? Look at me, look at my kid, here's what I bought.

(anyone remember that Curb episode where the one chick said "LOL" to Larry instead of actually laughing?)

That's so true hedonist :)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    hedonist said:

As always, well said hedonist. :D