Pearl Jam Opening AGAIN tonight ST PAUL 6/27

dr noxdr nox Posts: 4
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Talked to box office...Pearl Jam is scheduled to play at 730...had her confirm it! For better or for worse...this is how it is....wtf?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    It should be like this at all six Tom Petty shows.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    It should be like this at all six Tom Petty shows.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    It's more the fact that it is Tom Petty's tour. He's playing with various bands on the tour, but the common link between all of them is Tom Petty. They're his shows, and that is why he's last.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    no shit, sherlock.

i dont understand why this is such a mystery/surprise.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I figured the reason they were doing 2 nights in each city was so Tom would headline one night, then PJ the 2nd, this sucks, sucks more for Tom cause he doesn't have what it takes to follow the greatest live rock band! (Love Tom petty though!)
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • dr noxdr nox Posts: 4
    lowlight10 wrote:
    no shit, sherlock.

i dont understand why this is such a mystery/surprise.

that's nice.
  • It's Tom fucking Petty. Show some respect you brats.
    I showed him my respect by leaving early.
  • ya but they are sharing an overalll nights set. meaning, usually a major band will come and have an opener. the opener usually does maybe an hour and the main act will get 2 or more hours. in this case they are sharing the, lets call it 3 hours. it sucks cause pj usally does an hour more than they do for these shows..so its not really a true pj show in my opinion. my question is why dont each band just do a full set..i mean fuck..i paid 200 for ten club ticks to see half a pj show.....is it just me or am i getting ripped off....?????
  • Zod wrote:
    its no surprise to me, at groundwork in 2001, pearl jam opened for REM. I thought REM was being arrogant and wanted the headling spot for a hometown pj show.

turns out PJ was too modest to headline over top a band that had been around longer then they had, and they had too much respect to do it. Sure half the arena walked out on REM, but hey pearl jam showed their respect :) haha

but yah.. i'm guessing the guys have too much respect for petty and his part in rock and roll history to have him open for them.

Poor fans walking out on either of those bands. This won't matter, but Peter Buck lives in Seattle too. Those bands get along well as evidenced by the Vote for Change stuff. I am sure the last spot (which is a better way to term it with two bands that are headlining) goes to the older band. Sorry, I just can't see REM ordering Pearl Jam to play first (like they have that power anyway).
    Barrie 1992 
    Toronto 2003
    Kitchener 2005
    London 2005
    Toronto 1 2006
    Cleveland 2006
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011
    Hamilton 2011
    London, Ont 2013
    Buffalo 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 1 2016
    Toronto 2 2016
    Hamilton 2022
    Toronto 2022
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I don't understand why people are so surprised by this!

In the email about the PJ/Petty bootlegs, Basecamp said they were doing a special deal on the boots because PJ would be playing a shorter than usual set.

So why all the complaining? We were told beforehand that PJ would be playing a shorter set, and we all know that this is Tom Petty's show anyway because he's doing shows with different bands at the moment, so it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that PJ would play first.

Get over it. 90 minutes of PJ is still better than no PJ at all. And the two setlists so far have been great!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• shareshare Posts: 551
    this is tom petty's 30th anniversary tour

pearl jam has offered to or were asked to or maybe were HONOURED to open for him and the heartbreakers

they're filming the tour - I bet it will also be a tom petty movie and not a pearl jam movie

anyway - they're lucky ducks - tom petty is absolutely amazing and a part of a lot of our "musical upbringing"
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Respect is due to a legend. You may not like it but last night was another fabulous journey........ REGARDLESS! Let it go....sheeeesh.
    Hometown - Minneapolis
    Milwaukee, WI - July 9, 1995, San Diego, CA - November 7, 1995, Toledo, OH - September 22, 1996, Minneapolis, MN - June 30, 1998, Atlanta, GA - September 1, 1998, East Troy, WI - October 8, 2000, St. Paul, MN - June 16, 2003, St. Paul, MN - June 26, 2006, St Paul, MN - June 27, 2006, Eddie Vedder Solo, Minneapolis, MN - July 2nd 2011. Winnipeg,CANADA- September 17,2011, Missoula, MT September 29th, 2012, Wrigley, Chicago, IL July 19, 2013, Moline, IL October 17, 2014, and St Paul October 19, 2014, Miami April 09, 2016, Greenville April 16, 2016
    ,Ottawa May 08, 2016, Seattle 08/ 08 +10, 2018, St Paul Aug 31, Sept 2, 2023, Missoula  August 22, 2024
  • chrischobchrischob Posts: 6
    The good thing was I got to leave early the second night and got home at 4am instead of 7am.

Chris
  • Why is it so hard for people to understand that PJ is opening for Petty...get some perspecitve.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
    Why is it so hard to spell?
  • dr nox wrote:
    Why is it so hard to spell?

cause I'm a spaz
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • pintabonepintabone Posts: 7
    In the latest Rolling Stone there is a quote from Tom. I believe it says something along the lines of, "Pearl Jam certainly doesn't need to be opening for us." Lets be honest, who the hell wouldn't want to open for Tom Petty.
    Everyone else does...Why not?

Camden 7/5/03
    Camden 7/6/03
    MSG 7/8/03
    MSG 7/9/03
    Hershey 7/12/03
    Holmdel 7/14/03
    Reading 10/1/04
    Philly 10/3/05
    Camden 5/27/06
    Camden 5/28/06
    Vh1 Storytellers 5/31/06
    Rutherford 6/1/06
    Rutherford 6/3/06
  • gforce33gforce33 Posts: 24
    Too bad for those of you who left early - you missed seeing Eddie and Petty/HB perform together both nights (twice the second night although the mike was fucked for the first song). It was indeed a treat, especially for those of us who are fans of both bands. Eddie talked with Petty's wife sidestage for several songs before going on for American Girl on night 2, and it was clear he was enjoying what he was seeing. Too bad some of his fans didn't agree.
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    dr nox wrote:
    I showed him my respect by leaving early.
    lmao...nice. But then you missed Ed dueting with him, right? I'm kinda torn...I like Tom Petty, don't love him. I just don't want to leave the venue singing TP songs all fucking night long. It's kinda like eating some Häagen-Dazs right after brushing your teeth....They're both great but I don't want to be left with a bad taste in my mouth.
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    I had respect for Petty until I saw him play the same lame boring identical show back to back nights in St. Paul. Tom Petty is great, but he sucks live. And to say "of course Pearl Jam is/should be opening for Petty is bullshit"
    In my books Petty is a borderline legend. Sure he's talented, been around forever, but let's get real, he's not Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney or Robert Plant. Seeing PJ on first was a letdown, but seeing Tom Petty's set was even more dissapointing. It's like finding out there's no Santa Clause. To put Petty on a throne is naive, and seeing him try to back up PJ is embarrassing.
  • pintabone wrote:
    In the latest Rolling Stone there is a quote from Tom. I believe it says something along the lines of, "Pearl Jam certainly doesn't need to be opening for us." Lets be honest, who the hell wouldn't want to open for Tom Petty.

Agreed, 100%.

I probably don't have a fair say in this (since I won't be going to any Petty/PJ shows), but I am a big fan of both (though PJ comes before everything), and I personally see absolutely no problem with PJ opening for Tom.

Some of you people get to see PJ many times in the same tour, I only JUST saw them for the very first time this year (in may). I waited a lifetime for them and never ever would I ever complain at any chance of seeing them live, no matter the circumstances! Don't be so freaking spoiled! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm appalled that there are actually people leaving the shows early. I'll gladly take your tickets if you don't want to be there!