Options

Discrimination?

know1know1 Posts: 6,763
I think discrimination is an interesting topic. Most people's initial reaction to the word is that discrimination is wrong, but we all discriminate every time we make a choice.

On what bases (plural) should we be allowed to discriminate on?
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I've heard judgment is "wrong" too, but it's a natural / human part of the decisions we make, and how we live our lives.

Definition of discrimination -
    - the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people
    - the ability to recognize the difference between things that are of good quality and those that are not
    - the ability to understand that one thing is different from another thing

I'd say I'm guilty of the last two. I treat (or think of) some people a certain way based on their actions and character...on an individual basis vs group, unless we're talking pedophiles, rapists, KKK members...you get the idea.

Hmm...I guess I do discriminate.

(good topic!)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    know1 said:

I think discrimination is an interesting topic. Most people's initial reaction to the word is that discrimination is wrong, but we all discriminate every time we make a choice.

When people react to the word, it's not with regard to #2 and #3 from hedonist's post above. The term is newsworthy and a topic for debate with regards to people/groups being treated differently.

When people say "fag" is a derogatory term, they are not talking about the British term for cigarette.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    But do we discriminate every time we make a choice? When we make a choice, we're merely stating a preference. It's an essentially benign, innocuous, and disinterested act.

Discrimination, on the other hand, as the word is generally understood, involves intentionally denigrating, or depriving, one individual, or group, based on their race, gender, sexuality, or religion.

If you discriminate racially then you're basically making a statement that says one group of people deserve to be treated differently - invariably to their detriment - than another group. So, in a sense it's a form of violence.

Not quite the same as choosing which brand of toothpaste to pick from the supermarket shelf, to the exclusion of the other brands of toothpaste on display. You're not offending those other tubes of toothpaste, or depriving them of anything, or in any way causing physical or psychological harm to them.
  • Options
    But some choices ARE more thought-out and beyond general preference (and then, who's to say which kind of preference is innocuous and what's not?).

Buying regular produce vs organic, paper vs plastic, carnivorous vs vegetarian...even x brand of toothpaste vs y (Foaming Aqua Fresh, baby!)

Remember that Seinfeld about Poppy being against abortion, and people choosing to leave (or stay at) the restaurant based on his views?

Not to make light of this - of course it's weightier when people are involved, hated out of ignorance or teachings.
  • Options
    Who decides where an appropriate distinction can be made if there even is such a thing?

For example, more often than not, I find myself thinking the Taliban are a bunch of idiots. I would never hire one of those people or invite them to my house. To some, these people are fine, but to me... I find them intolerable.

Am I correct?

We could likely come to an agreeable consensus on these pages, but on other forums- its not the Taliban who have the problem... it's people like me that do. I scoff at them, while they scoff at me: both factions insistent that it is the other that causes concern.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I realize that when it comes to making a preferential choice among inanimate objects, discrimination is perfectly fine.

But, we often have to make choices that involve people and we constantly hear that it's wrong to discriminate. It's essentially impossible to make the choice if you don't discriminate on the basis of SOMETHING.

I just have the opinion that discrimination gets an unnecessarily bad rap. It's fine to have likes and dislikes and to use our past experience and knowledge to help us decide what to do. I think criminalizing is a slippery slope and people need to really consider what they're doing when they outlaw discrimination.

(And before I get slammed for this, I think racism is just about the dumbest thing ever. Right along with it is stereotyping entire groups of people based on the trait(s) or actions(s) of a few).

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Its definitely interesting depending on how you perceive it. I definitely discriminate when it comes to religion, but that's mostly because I have a belief system and I sometime find others to have ludicrous belief systems in terms of religion.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    So, there are acceptable and unacceptable forms of discrimination - I think we all do it.

But then, who decides which is which?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I support private property rights.

I then would support activism that calls out when the property owner discriminates.

I do not support using government force to require private property owners to do anything that they don't want to. Example, I would not support the government forcing a bakery to bake a cake for a customer that they didn't want to.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I came up with this motto for my business:

"Quality used books for the discriminating reader."

Hey, H., I hope that qualifies as an acceptable form of the word! ;)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meets that second definition I posted (and agreed with), so...yup!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    hedonist said:

Meets that second definition I posted (and agreed with), so...yup!

Oh good!

:-bd
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    blueandwhiteblueandwhite Posts: 662
    This seems like an exorcize in semantics to me. Don't we as a society simply choose what forms of discrimination we tolerate and which forms of discrimination we find unacceptable? Generally speaking, where I live discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender, race or ethnicity, physical or mental handicap, age (with many conditions) and religion are currently viewed as being unacceptable to many people however there are clear exceptions. Other forms of discrimination are seen as perfectly acceptable. As a society we obviously have no qualms about discriminating based on experience, education, intelligence, physical ability or in some situations, a person's physical appearance. Heck, by choosing who we do and do not associate with we are exorcizing our right to discriminate.

Moreover, even if society deems certain types of discrimination as being unacceptable it doesn't preclude a person from exercising his or her right to partake in such activity. As a society, our threshold of what types of discrimination are acceptable and unacceptable is constantly changing. It's pretty significant when you consider that women in the US had difficulty acquiring a credit card without a male cosigner prior to 1974. I'm pretty certain that in the not-so-distant future there will be a generation that is stunned and even appalled to hear that gay marriage was illegal in many places in the early 21st century.
  • Options
    know1 said:

It's a free world man. Discriminate at will. Just don't hate.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options

It's a free world man. Discriminate at will. Just don't hate.

That's kind of what I'm thinking and sums it up in a pretty short statement.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    discrimination .......interesting, because of my personal opinion on some topics I've been called a bigot (straight up bullshit) so now I can rest easy knowing that I am not a bigot but am guilty of discrimination just like the rest of the train members....kind of put things in a different light don't it. :))

Godfather.
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    It's quite possible to be guilty of both.