Tomorrows the 10th

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    JimmyV said:
    I know I'm in the minority on this, but too much of a big deal gets made about cell phones at shows. 
    I wanted a pic. EVERYONE on the rail was filming most of the show…
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,468
    Pretty early on in the days of phones filming I realised it's gonna show up on you tube so I can just enjoy the show 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    Pretty early on in the days of phones filming I realised it's gonna show up on you tube so I can just enjoy the show 
    lol.  When I was one of the few people w an Iphone I filmed some things then I realized if I wasn't up front that a video did not matter, lol!
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,201
    In all honesty, how often do people go back and watch their videos?  I'll take a few pictures during the show but that's it. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,115
    JimmyV said:
    I know I'm in the minority on this, but too much of a big deal gets made about cell phones at shows. 
    Nice. I would have wanted that pic, too! 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JojoRice said:
    In all honesty, how often do people go back and watch their videos?  I'll take a few pictures during the show but that's it. 
    True 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • robbierobbie Posts: 882
    It is strange that anyone would be live at a show and watch it through a tiny screen. They are showing the No Hitter that the Phillies pitcher just threw and his mom is in the stands filming it on her phone instead of actually watching her son do it. Same with another player who hit a HR in his first MLB at bat, his family was in the outfield bleachers filming it on their phone instead if actually experiencing the moment with their own eyes. Don't these people.know the games are filmed. How does a phone video from the stands come out better than the broadcast footage? How can it be worth it not to actually watch your kid accomplish something like that because you were watching it through your phone screen?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    robbie said:
    It is strange that anyone would be live at a show and watch it through a tiny screen. They are showing the No Hitter that the Phillies pitcher just threw and his mom is in the stands filming it on her phone instead of actually watching her son do it. Same with another player who hit a HR in his first MLB at bat, his family was in the outfield bleachers filming it on their phone instead if actually experiencing the moment with their own eyes. Don't these people.know the games are filmed. How does a phone video from the stands come out better than the broadcast footage? How can it be worth it not to actually watch your kid accomplish something like that because you were watching it through your phone screen?
    I've always wondered this. So when I record anything, I still watch it with my own eyes, and hold my phone steady at my upper chest level. doesn't bother anyone, not blocking anyone, and I'm still watching in "real life". 

if I can't record something at that level, I just don't. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,867
    robbie said:
    I hear you.
    I once read a book. Susan Sontag 'on photography' which sheds an interesting perspective. This was written previous to the iPhone invasion.
    To sum it up. The camera is a layer between you and reality. Easier to watch a stressful/intense situation through a camera. Takes you one step away. Idk
    Some dumb sh.t like that.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,802
    JimmyV said:
    I feel the opposite. It ruins the moment instead of enhancing anything. People film endless shit and watch a show through a photo screen.  I never understood it

And then half of them are nothing but someone pogo jumping because they forget they have a camera. Meanwhile, all you hear is "WHOOOOOOOOO!!!! I LOVE YOU EDDIEEEEEEEEE!!!! WHOOOOOO!!"
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    I think what people are missing is that a lot of the people who take video at rock shows or baseball games or what have you aren't doing it so they can relive the experience later. They're doing it so they can post those videos in real time to their social media feeds and say, "Look at where I am! Aren't I so cool?" The experience itself is less important for some people than being able to show their friends that they had the experience.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394 said:
    I think what people are missing is that a lot of the people who take video at rock shows or baseball games or what have you aren't doing it so they can relive the experience later. They're doing it so they can post those videos in real time to their social media feeds and say, "Look at where I am! Aren't I so cool?" The experience itself is less important for some people than being able to show their friends that they had the experience.
    I thought that was a younger person kind of thing or has it trickled in to the 40+ year old crowd as well?
    BF25394 said:
    I thought that was a younger person kind of thing or has it trickled in to the 40+ year old crowd as well?
    Oh, it's definitely an all-ages thing.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,453
    JimmyV said:
    Everyone one chasing that dopamine hit from their video getting the most 'likes' on IG, FB, etc
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited August 2023
    BF25394 said:

There's two types, IMO:
    The extremely hot social media influencer who does it for the clicks and (sometimes) expects free shit because "I have five million followers!"
    The random dudes doing it to show their friends.

PJ fans did it right: Get on Periscope and focus on the band for the virtual viewing parties. They weren't showing the view around the venues. They weren't focused on their brands.

Those guys (the one from Oklahoma? especially) were cool. The people who figured out how to ride Instagram's algorithms to show five million people how they drink White Claw or the Nirvana shirt they're wearing? Annoying.

Sidenote: What the hell was that guy's name? I think it was the 2016 tour... Jorge? Jose? He routinely had 800+ people watching online and we were all disappointed when he took his last show off, but he deserved it.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    goldrush said:
    JimmyV said:
    Everyone one chasing that dopamine hit from their video getting the most 'likes' on IG, FB, etc

Exactly. Something tells me Kurt Cobain would find them incredibly obnoxious and annoying.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,501
    I also think phones are worse when you're on the floor.  If your in wings your higher than the person in front of you, and generally people don't need to hold their phones as high and/or you can see over them.

When you're on the floor people hold them up as high as they can and block the view of the people behind them.  It's super annoying.   I take a few pictures, and at worst a short video during a show, which I  can back relive in the future, but holding it up for a whole concert and prolonged period of time is super annoying.

I will say the whole phone lights replacing lighters actually works not too badly.  For a while so many people stopped smoking that the lighter brigade was wearing thin.. but everyone has a phone, so it looks pretty epic :)
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,896
    JojoRice said:

I do a few times.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,728
    edited August 2023
    JimmyV said:
    That song that Mike wrote about Chris is pretty powerful stuff.  I hope Mike get's that solo album out some day. 
    Agreed on both counts. 
    The tracklist has been shaping uo since 2006... :smile:

1) Thank You
    2) Greatest One of All
    3) Turning Mist
    4) Crying Moon
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,138
    Pap said:
    JimmyV said:
    That song that Mike wrote about Chris is pretty powerful stuff.  I hope Mike get's that solo album out some day. 
    Agreed on both counts. 

1) Thank You
    2) Greatest One of All
    3) Turning Mist
    4) Crying Moon
    By this rate, he should have an album of songs ready by 2040. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Sugarloafer04Sugarloafer04 Telluride CO // Brooklyn NY Posts: 452
    I was in pit for Camden, about 7 rows deep and can say had no issues with phones being in my face…
    2016: Telluride, CO
    2018: Fenway 1
    2021: Sea.Hear.Now
    2022: San Diego, MSG, Camden 
    2023: Ft. Worth 1, Ft. Worth 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
    2024: Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Philly 2
    I was in pit for Camden, about 7 rows deep and can say had no issues with phones being in my face…
    I was the guy behind you, and I had a huge issue with it.  =)
    Hahaha perfect reply
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Sugarloafer04Sugarloafer04 Telluride CO // Brooklyn NY Posts: 452
    BF25394 said:
    I was the guy behind you, and I had a huge issue with it.  =)
    haha well if so sorry about that, I get enough flack when I am in the pit because I am 6'3 so I make sure not to move much and when I do use my phone it's a quick picture or video to pull a still from. I am very conscious that I am tall and do everything I can to make sure anyone behind me can finagle to one side of the other and I will generally stay put where I am. 

When I was in the pit for San Diego the lady behind me just goes "Really?" Like I have any fucking choice on how tall I am haha...
    2016: Telluride, CO
    2018: Fenway 1
    2021: Sea.Hear.Now
    2022: San Diego, MSG, Camden 
    2023: Ft. Worth 1, Ft. Worth 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
    2024: Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Philly 2
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,896
    Pap said:
    JimmyV said:
    Agreed on both counts. 

1) Thank You
    2) Greatest One of All
    3) Turning Mist
    4) Crying Moon

Vinyl EP please!
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    Looks like I picked a good month to completely forget it was the 10th until 2 days later
    What I don't understand is why people who check their phones in movie theaters insist on holding the phones in front of their faces, so as to disturb everyone in the theater, as opposed to holding the phone in their laps, so as to only disturb the people in their row? Are people genuinely not aware that holding a lit-up screen in front of your face is like shining a flashlight in the direction of the people behind them?
    Lots of people have become self centered 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    The phone is peoples GOD now

take away a phone from someone who spends a bunch of time on it & watch their reaction, it’s an addiction 

• I was in pit for Camden, about 7 rows deep and can say had no issues with phones being in my face…
    I was probably another 5 feet to your right in this pic, a few “rows” up