Does anyone know anything about pharmaceutical sales?

My husband has decided to change his career path. He thinks that given his past experience and education, pharmaceutical sales is a good option for him. My questions are: How do you go about getting into that business? What exact qualifications/training does he need? A "pharmaceutical sales recruiter" has emailed him with questions about his qualifications. Are recruiters the way into this industry or is he wasting time talking with her? If anyone has any experience or knows how this industry works, your advice will be appreciated. Thank you!
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Has he done any research into the field to make him think this would be a good move for him?

I just did a quick search on pharma recruiters and a shitload of sites came up.

I'd imagine that with the wealth of information available online, he / you might get better insight going that route.

Also, most if not all recruiters get paid by the employer, not by the one searching for work - I assume it's the same for this industry.

Best of luck! This seems like an area that's gonna be around for a good long while.
  • Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
    edited June 2014
    The recruiter asked when he would have his CNPR, CphT, or CMR. All of these seem relatively easy to get, but you do have to put some money into them. So, he is thinking that he would like to know more about job specifics, as well as make sure that this is a viable option for him before putting a lot into training that may or may not be necessary. The recruiter basically told him to make sure that he lets her know when he will have his training. Assuming that the recruiter is the gateway into this industry, he does not want to appear to be unprofessional. I am wondering if there is a way to find out more about the job, as well as what the job will "do for him" so to speak without appearing unprofessional.
    Post edited by Cradles Broken Glass on
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I was a purchaser/inventory manager for a clinic, so I had to deal with all of the pharma reps. Typically, your best bet is to 'know someone' in the field, like another rep-then you don't pay the headhunter fee.
    Also does he want to work for a specific company? Does he want to go human, animal, big pharma, natural? Or work for a pharmaceutical distributor?
    There is lots of driving...LOTS. Your typical day usually is driving around your assigned territory to various clinics and informing them about new products, giving seminars and training staff about the drugs, maintaining CE credits, going to national conventions.
    Gotta be really personable too...if the doctors don't like you, then they won't buy.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    RKCNDY said:

I was a purchaser/inventory manager for a clinic, so I had to deal with all of the pharma reps. Typically, your best bet is to 'know someone' in the field, like another rep-then you don't pay the headhunter fee.
    Also does he want to work for a specific company? Does he want to go human, animal, big pharma, natural? Or work for a pharmaceutical distributor?
    There is lots of driving...LOTS. Your typical day usually is driving around your assigned territory to various clinics and informing them about new products, giving seminars and training staff about the drugs, maintaining CE credits, going to national conventions.
    Gotta be really personable too...if the doctors don't like you, then they won't buy.

+1
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23