Options

Why common sense will never win

Every argument about either guns, immigration, healthcare ect ect will never end. Most will jump on the political bandwagon that fits them. Sure you will probably argue why or how that you don't do it. But you do. We argue and disagree based on the extremes of every situation. Never really offering a real solution but a solution that we see fit personally. F those that disagree right? We try and play this educated role that what I think is better than what you think. It's completely lunacy. Your ideas are no more right than the ideas you disagree with. Maybe if we ever got down and addressed the real issue things would change... Yea we are all keyboard warriors and can google to make sure we are right. It's madness of picking either black or white. And the worst are the people that claim they aren't picking black or white but defend black till the end. And vice versa. Humans, not as intelligent as we'd like to wish or pretend we are.

Comments

• Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    edited June 2014
    8-X 8-X 8-X
    Post edited by EarlWelsh on
  • Options
    unfortunately, "common sense" isn't as common as we would like. there is no official right or wrong answer for anything out there, just opinions that people say should be common sense.

personally I enjoy others viewpoints, open mind for a different view as metallica would say. my problem is, is that i haven't seen any opinion to make me want to change my views.

if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    common sense is actually the only winner if we can label such a thing as winner. at least in the realm i am located in it works like this
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

unfortunately, "common sense" isn't as common as we would like. there is no official right or wrong answer for anything out there, just opinions that people say should be common sense.

personally I enjoy others viewpoints, open mind for a different view as metallica would say. my problem is, is that i haven't seen any opinion to make me want to change my views.

Well I'm staunch in many if my positions and many are based on science and or facts so until a god talks to me nothing will change.

But other subjects like gun control or DP I do listen to the either side and when compelling statistics such as what Matt offered on total gun deaths trending down it does make me think and reevaluate.

People on this board have changed their perspectives.

But the most kickass thing is there are different views that one may not get from their social circle or mediums they normally visit.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen,

but god (if we can call this god) does talk to you, you are not listening

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    chadwick said:

callen,

I'm agnostic so I don't know and freely admit that and always have my ear to the ground.

Listening intently to birds singing right now. Many species....incredible chorus. I'll take nature to be my spiritual guide.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    chadwick said:

callen,

Oh. Good morning Chad. Hope it's beautiful where you are as it is here
  • Options
    beautiful morning here as well. enjoying this fine day

yes, callen, nature is the spiritual guide. that is where your ears are
    put your all in there as it is common sense

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited June 2014
    callen said:

chadwick said:

callen,

I'm agnostic so I don't know and freely admit that and always have my ear to the ground.

Listening intently to birds singing right now. Many species....incredible chorus. I'll take nature to be my spiritual guide.
    Well-said.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    Pretty much politics for ya right there. I'm right and won't compromise.
    Ex) School Shootings
    It's Guns, that's the problem!!
    No it's not we have the right to guns!!

meanwhile school shootings still happen, everyday and people die. who cares who's right, people are dying.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I think that 'Common Sense' is what the majority in the middle believe. The problem is, we only hear from the extremists os both ends of the spectrum is because that is where the fanaticism exists.
    For example, most of us agree that we don't want fucking crazy people to obtain guns becuase we understand they are the ones most likely to shoot up the place. We just don't know how to go about it without violating the rights of the people.
    Then, the extremists jump in with the crazy, 'Ban all Guns' or 'Arm Everybody' talk that the rest of us know is not even a variable in the solution. The extremists are typically the ones with the loudest voices and are the most entertaining to display on television. No one wants to watch a couple of boring people in the middle trying to actually solve a problem using logic, reason, fact, truth and common sense... it is more fun to watch a couple of extremists yelling crazy shit at each other, right? Political Jerry Springer. That increases ratings, which bring in money.
    The side effect is the sterotyping of the political labels, such as Conservative and Liberal, and those extremists are the one defining those stereotypes.
    The only way Common Sense will win is when we stop listening to the static coming from the lunatic fringes of our society. But, that is no going to happen because lunacy... not common sense... $ells.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    To the OP: common sense to me may not be common sense to you. For example, I believe that abortions should be legal. To me, it's common sense that a woman has the right to choose. Someone that is against abortion would tell me that it's common sense not to murder a baby. That's the backbone of debate, no? Yes, we are all keyboard warriors that use Google. But everyone has their own definition of common sense. That's what makes a good argument/debate. That's why we are on AMT and not AET.
  • Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    Last exit, I understand what you are trying to do. You are bringing up a much debated issue as your reasoning why common sense doesn't exist. And how it just a subjective idea. I would say common sense isn't that subjective. It's only subjective to someone that wants to make it subjective. The all around common sense issue with abortion is if you don't like it, don't have one. If you are okay with them, then have one if you the situation arises. Let's leave the extreme ends out ie "you can't because I don't think" points out. Sticking with these ideas are the complete reason why common sense will never prevail. We make issues out of what we as individuals think is right, And more disturbingly what we think is right for others. This is a prime example of why I said common sense will never win because we are all completely focused on the extremes.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    That's actually not what I was saying. Common sense certainly exists. But it is different to different people. I used abortion as an example only. It's not extreme. Apply it to any issue. There's no set definition of common sense. It most definitely is subjective.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Last exit, I understand what you are trying to do. You are bringing up a much debated issue as your reasoning why common sense doesn't exist. And how it just a subjective idea. I would say common sense isn't that subjective. It's only subjective to someone that wants to make it subjective. The all around common sense issue with abortion is if you don't like it, don't have one. If you are okay with them, then have one if you the situation arises. Let's leave the extreme ends out ie "you can't because I don't think" points out. Sticking with these ideas are the complete reason why common sense will never prevail. We make issues out of what we as individuals think is right, And more disturbingly what we think is right for others. This is a prime example of why I said common sense will never win because we are all completely focused on the extremes.

this is a total fallacy... The common sense of "get one if you want one, dont if you dont" requires the prerequisite of a provider being legally allowed to provide one.. To some, as last exit pointed out, abortion is murder and thats common sense. Hence the national debate in which there is no "common" sense. He is right, it is subjective. If it was objective it would be "fact" not "common sense". The speed of light is fact, dont put your hand in the fire is common sense... Do you see the difference???
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Think you have to go more primal or basic to get to "common sense" on abortion as an example.

There are more underlying motivations than the commonly sited reasons for ones positions such as it's murder of woman's rights. Could be it goes to insecurities of feeling special or out of control. One could argue that the common sense comes down to adding another human to the planet.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    subjective either way though! Speed of light was a bad example as it changes depending on the medium through which it travels. Speed of light in vacuum, there that isnt subjective lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Adding or not adding to population isn't subjective, ramifications are.

So point being common sense has to rely on actual effect.

So walking into minus 20 degrees to walk for 2 hours in nude isn't common sense as you'd get frostbite. If that's the case anyway.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    I usually equate common sense with basic things like:
    "Don't stick a hot poker up your ass before going to work."
    "Never play marbles in the fast lane on I-80 at rush hour."
    "If you have to choose between cream or strychnine for your coffee, choose wisely."

Arguments for more complex issues like gun control, international relations, environmental issues and the like are enhanced by common sense I suppose but I don't think you can easily narrow them down by one single characteristic like "common sense".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    If sense was common, everyone would have it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687

If sense was common, everyone would have it.

Love it!
    :))
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.