Fender pick-ups

gjvanmcampgjvanmcamp Posts: 21
edited June 2014 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everyone:

I got a sweet Fender Classic Series 60's strat recently; love the guitar but not in love with the pick-ups. I am trying to recreate Mike's tone/sound. Has anyone tried the fender noiseless pickups or the Custom '69's? Trying to figure out what would be best.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,173
    i have noiseless pickups in one of my strats. they are horrible! stay away from them at all costs.

i have not tried the custom 69s, but lollar makes some incredible strat and tele pickups.

i plan to put a set of lollars in that strat and throw the noiseless ones in the trashcan.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • gjvanmcampgjvanmcamp Posts: 21
    Thanks for the tip on the noiseless. I will have to check out and do some research on the lollar's.
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    I have the "Fat 50's" in my strat, and they sound awesome. It seems like there's lots of factors that go into matching someone's tone, but these have that classic strat tone. Good luck!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Can't go too wrong with a set of Texas Specials, or a nice slightly-overwound set from Fralin or Lollar. Even the Seymour Duncan Texas Hot will get you in that neighborhood. Mike's main Strat is a '59 with stock pickups, so those 60s-era pups aren't gonna cut it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 481
    The '69s are a little thin and weak... The Fat 50's are excellent... I have heard great things about the new American Vintage '65 pickups... You can find them on Amazon for around $140... either of those...