Legendary Author Maya Angelou Dies At 86

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/maya-angelou-obit/

(CNN) -- A literary voice revered globally for her poetic command and her commitment to civil rights has fallen silent.
Maya Angelou died at her home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, on Wednesday, said her literary agent, Helen Brann. The agent added that she has been "frail" and suffering from heart problems.
The 86-year-old was a novelist, actress, professor, singer, dancer and activist. In 2010, President Barack Obama named her the recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the country's highest civilian honor.

Her poetry was world renound

PEACE, Rest in It.
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    RIP :(
    ELITIST FUK
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,633
    It was really weird how I heard about this today. I was working at the bookstore when someone had told us that Toni Morrison had died. We were really bummed. We talked about setting up a little memorial with a few of her books. I went on line to find out how old Morrison was and, low and behold, she's still alive!

Shortly after that we heard that it was Maya Angelou who had passed. I verified that this is true and we were truly saddened.

R.I.P. great poetess, author, civil rights activist, mentor and multi-talented woman, Maya Angelou.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    edited May 2014
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    RIP. Read "I know why the caged bird sings" years ago and it had such an impact on me. I even wrote a song by that name to honour her.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014