Those Weird Smilies

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,633
edited May 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
Personally, I liked the old ones. image

Thank you, Thumbs Up Smiley.

But what about these new ones? Let's try to figure out what some of them mean. Like this guy for example:

:-t

What's with all that waving of that geologist's hammer?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    brianlux said:

But what about these new ones? Let's try to figure out what some of them mean. Like this guy for example:

I think he is calling for time break like in ice hockey.
    I wonder what this guy is doing :-L
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Annafalk said:

brianlux said:

Yeah I can't Figure out what's He's doing lol

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    edited May 2014
    haha. as a geologist, i laughed at your interpretation. The guy is totally calling for a "Time Out" though.

Post edited by evsgjamm on
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    Annafalk said:

brianlux said:

I think he is just pissed off, but some of these seem so redundant like :)) and =)) and >:) and :-j and none of these laughing smileys are located in the same place on the chart. It takes me forever to find one to use. I still like the old ones. Really miss the shifty and facepalm guys.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    evsgjamm said:

haha. as a geologist, i laughed at your interpretation. The guy is totally calling for a "Time Out" though.

I can so see that Now :P lol

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,633
    evsgjamm said:

AH HA!! Ding ding ding ding! That is so correct and I see it now! Thank you!

You're a geologist! Excellent! I took a geology class in college thinking it would be a breeze. Uh uh- more to it than earthquakes, that's for sure!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

OK, next up, this little lady.

L-)

At least I think it's a she. So what's up here? We're number one? Jesus is the way? Hold on one second? Not sure.

• morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    brianlux said:

L-)

At least I think it's a she. So what's up here? We're number one? Jesus is the way? Hold on one second? Not sure.

Yeah my vote would be for hold on one second or just a minute. Would definitely rather have some of the old ones than that one for example.

Ok, how about this one: :> Smug smile perhaps but why would one use it???
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    morello said:

brianlux said:

L-)

Yeah my vote would be for hold on one second or just a minute. Would definitely rather have some of the old ones than that one for example.

hahaha! That guy seems a bit goofy but yeah, maybe a bit smug. Maybe he's a little sarcastic- like he's saying, "hmmm, yeah, whatever you say..." But he might also be Dirty Old Man Smiley say, "Oh-ho-ho, come here baby!" Really not sure about that guy. Not sure I trust him- hahaha!

brianlux said:

morello said:

brianlux said:

L-)

hahaha! That guy seems a bit goofy but yeah, maybe a bit smug. Maybe he's a little sarcastic- like he's saying, "hmmm, yeah, whatever you say..." But he might also be Dirty Old Man Smiley say, "Oh-ho-ho, come here baby!" Really not sure about that guy. Not sure I trust him- hahaha!

Oh yeah, good point re "he might also be Dirty Old Man Smiley say, "Oh-ho-ho, come here baby!" .

Ok, how about: 8-X You're going on so much I've died & turned into a skeleton perhaps?
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    morello said:

brianlux said:

morello said:

brianlux said:

L-)

Oh yeah, good point re "he might also be Dirty Old Man Smiley say, "Oh-ho-ho, come here baby!" .

Ok, how about: 8-X You're going on so much I've died & turned into a skeleton perhaps?
    An excellent guess. Yes, Rolling Eyes Skeleton Smiley is a strange one!

This one really has me stumped: :o3 Is this The Hallucinatory Doggy Smiley and what on earth is it for?! Think that over and I'll check in tomorrow- if I stay up much later I will need more morning ~O) than usual!

edited May 2014
    brianlux said:

morello said:

brianlux said:

morello said:

brianlux said:

L-)

An excellent guess. Yes, Rolling Eyes Skeleton Smiley is a strange one!

This one really has me stumped: :o3 Is this The Hallucinatory Doggy Smiley and what on earth is it for?! Think that over and I'll check in tomorrow- if I stay up much later I will need more morning ~O) than usual!
    Yep, a tripping dog I guess. No idea YTF you'd use it. 8-|

How about, any idea on the meaning of: b-( Someone whacks him in the face so he gets black eyes & then he winks about it!?!? WTF!?!?
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Posts: 3,777
    edited May 2014
    I use the animal smilies for bumps, the :o3 and the :bz are pretty cool, I don't mind the :(|) , but why wouldn't they have a cat? b-( ....no f##king idea!!
    Post edited by Natashapearljamfan on
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Im right the dog is cute.. :o3 We have to have variety it makes for great expression and yes there should be a courageous like cat too..
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    brianlux said:

L-)

LOOSER!

that is actually one I can decipher but would probably not use. this one baffles me:

>-)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

brianlux said:

L-)

LOOSER!

that is actually one I can decipher but would probably not use. this one baffles me:

>-)
    I think that one is the Oh My God I'm Turning into a Chameleon Smiley!

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

I use the animal smilies for bumps, the :o3 and the :bz are pretty cool, I don't mind the :(|) , but why wouldn't they have a cat? b-( ....no f##king idea!!

JWPearl said:

Im right the dog is cute.. :o3 We have to have variety it makes for great expression and yes there should be a courageous like cat too..

i was just thinking the same thing. no kitty smiley. boo.

did you see me? i saw you.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    But the smiles are changing all the time I don't get it 3:-O
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    i don't like the new smileys
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

+1

Can someone post the link to where someone has made a photobucket, or sometime like that, album of the old smileys so we can use them? Thanks. :)
    <hr>
    morello said:

RKCNDY said:

+1

Can someone post the link to where someone has made a photobucket, or sometime like that, album of the old smileys so we can use them? Thanks. :)
    http://imgur.com/a/wHchf

I forget who made the link, I found a site that has the rest of the smileys, and I would direct them there to add the rest...like NEUTRAL FACE
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I like the old school smileys!
    edited May 2014
    RKCNDY said:

morello said:

RKCNDY said:

+1

http://imgur.com/a/wHchf

I forget who made the link, I found a site that has the rest of the smileys, and I would direct them there to add the rest...like NEUTRAL FACE
    Cool. Thanks. How do you get the address to put them in a post here though? That'd be why I hadn't saved the page.

Ah, mr popcorn, mr clapping, mr rolling eyes my/our old friends!!
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    mca47 said:

I like the old school smileys!

Ooh, there they are. How do you get those addresses to post them?
    <hr>
    edited May 2014
    morello said:

Cool. Thanks. How do you get the address to put them in a post here though? That'd be why I hadn't saved the page.

I bookmarked the page, then you will have to right click on the smiley you want, and select 'copy image URL', then in here click on the picture icon at the top of the reply text box, then 'paste' in the 'enter image URL' box, click 'ok', then hit 'reply'.

A lot of work, but I just feel the new smileys are so...archaic and AOL-ish image

- Christopher McCandless
    edited May 2014
    Ah, right click on the smiley! Cool. Thanks. image

e.t.a. Cool, it worked. Sweet. :)
    <hr>
    edited May 2014
    OOh I just want to bring all the old friends back now.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Sorry, going a bit smiley crazy here!!
    <hr>
    you're silly!

- Christopher McCandless
    here's the website! ALL of our old favorites! image

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:PhpBB_emoticons

whoever made the imagur list, could you please update it with the missing ones? thanks! image

- Christopher McCandless
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    still my favorite image
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes