Options

Baby Shane's Future Days

I've been debating posting this on the website. I rarely post. I've been a member since 1998. I've gone to 50+ shows. My wife and I continue to go to a bunch of shows every US tour. We were even looking to spend our 10 year anniversary in Europe for the summer tour. Unfortunately, our life was turned upside down. This past March, my son was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He's now 9 months old. Here is his story. Philly.com reached out to us.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/cancer/Shane_Metzgar_Philadelphia_rhabdomyosarcoma.html

I don't want this to seem like we are pushing an agenda. This post is not about trying to raise money. We've raised money organically. All the money is going to pediatric cancer research. If you donate great (and we truly thank you), if not that's ok. We want to bring awareness to the cause. However, this post isn't about that either.

This post is to express what Pearl Jam means to us, as we go through these tough times. We are focused on a prayer. The power of music is unbelievable. Certain songs strike a cord. Future Days happens to be the song that is helping us get through these times. The Lightning Bolt CD is listened to on repeat as we go to and from the hospital for his weekly treatment. This is Shane rocking out in his PJ onesie after a chemo treatment.

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/9qc4/baby-shane-s-fight-against-cancer/updates/71872

This band means so much to us. They need to know their impact on my family and many families around the world. I just wanted to say thank you. Keep doing what you are doing...

We are holding on to Shane's Future Days.

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Man, I can't even begin to fathom what you must be going through. I have 2 little girls, and this sort of stuff just crushes me.

Hang in there- I hope your little guy gives cancer the biggest fight imaginable.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    My thoughts and prayers are with you, Shane, and your family. A friend of mine went through a similar experience a few years back, with her little child having an inoperable ear/brain cancer. They went through intense chemotherapy and he has now been cancer free for over a year now.

I fully agree that the bands music provides a powerful way to draw strength for our human struggle. Future Days, is one of many that has become a favourite of mine. Stay strong, and take care.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    1st post....glad it's here. Thanks for sharing your story. Our families thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there and keep pushing....even on the toughest days.
  • Options
    soitgoes23soitgoes23 Posts: 13
    My thoughts are with you and your family. I can't imagine.
  • Options
    pjmetz20pjmetz20 Posts: 36
    Thanks for the kind words. 8 treatments down, 34 to go. He seems to be responding to the treatments. We are keeping our fingers crossed. Little man is still smiling.
  • Options
    pjmetz20pjmetz20 Posts: 36
    Follow-up article on Baby Shane. We are holding a fundraiser at NorthBowl in Northern Liberties (Philadelphia). If you are in the area, come on out. It's for a great cause and there's bowling, great food and great auction items. (and we'll be spinning some Pearl Jam tunes)

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/cancer/Fundraiser_at_North_Bowl_will_benefit_baby_with_rare_cancer.html
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Big battle for a little kid...Shane's so cute. I'm with you...No words to explain...Just one to remember : HOPE.
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Thoughts and prayers with you and your family!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    After reading your story, i had to respond. I have a son named Shane as well, who is 4 and has autism. So while what my wife and i are going through is nothing compared to what you are facing, i wanted to reach out and offer my support and enouragement. "Unthought Known" is kind of my theme song for my son, as the first time after hearing that song after learning his diagnosis really floored me. The last verse was what really hit me, so here's to both of our Shane's, to a future filled with moonlit paths and distant shores awaiting their arrivals!