Options

The Greening Of China

polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
these are the work of some "sub-humans" ...

http://projects.thestar.com/chinas-generation-green/

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    These environmentalists are going to get crushed over there... like the do over here.
    Money is the green driving force and nothing can stop it. As long as a down turn in the market is considered a 'disaster', while a chemical spill in a lake is seen as a line item in a news report... nothing is going to change.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    except the notoriously authoritarian gov't that has about as much tolerance for insubordination as darth vader actually wrote legislation allowing for certain agencies to sue the gov't ....

they are starting to see the consequences to the environment and they are trying to do something ... obviously, like everywhere it's an uphill battle because most people are both stupid and don't care or selfish ... still - it's something ...
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Oh, I'm not saying it's not good. Just saying that when you try to go up against big money... you will lose. Profits and economic growth will always defeat (or buy out) clean water and clean air.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Cosmo said:

These environmentalists are going to get crushed over there... like the do over here.
    Money is the green driving force and nothing can stop it. As long as a down turn in the market is considered a 'disaster', while a chemical spill in a lake is seen as a line item in a news report... nothing is going to change.

Sad but true. I personally think it's just too late for China. They won't be able to reverse anything significantly enough to prevent the eventual complete death of all the land over there. I picture China being a giant no-go zone in 1000 years. Just a huge toxic wasteland.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    PJ_Soul said:

I personally think it's just too late for China. They won't be able to reverse anything significantly enough to prevent the eventual complete death of all the land over there. I picture China being a giant no-go zone in 1000 years. Just a huge toxic wasteland.

And what do you think the rest of the World will look like in 1000 years time?

• Options
    Byrnzie said:

PJ_Soul said:

I personally think it's just too late for China. They won't be able to reverse anything significantly enough to prevent the eventual complete death of all the land over there. I picture China being a giant no-go zone in 1000 years. Just a huge toxic wasteland.

And what do you think the rest of the World will look like in 1000 years time?

Well I don't know, but if I have to guess probably pretty bad unless 3/4 of the population is wiped out fairly soon or some miracle technologies are invented pretty quick. But I don't think many places if any will be as bad as China judging from current conditions.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    The Chinese people could actually turn things on it's head and do great things for the environment. Once they find their way out from under the heavy hand of authority they kick ass. I hope this happens, I hope it happens everywhere, other wise we'll all have our asses kicked in 1,000 years. The place will be a wasteland for at least several millennia.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    Okay seriously, can we get past always looking negative about everything we feel needs to change? I have seen huge changes in the past few years in order to be more conscious to our own individual carbon footprints. Every time it come and check this forum it's people never acknowledging the progress that has been made, but just complaining. Things take time.
  • Options

Okay seriously, can we get past always looking negative about everything we feel needs to change? I have seen huge changes in the past few years in order to be more conscious to our own individual carbon footprints. Every time it come and check this forum it's people never acknowledging the progress that has been made, but just complaining. Things take time.

I personally acknowledge all the progress being made and donate to and sacrifice for the cause as well. All efforts have to be made. But in can't ignore reality either. The fact is that some people care enough to do the things that might help, but not anywhere near enough people for it to actually make the difference we need. Doesn't mean anyone should give up the cause, since you never know what might happen, or at the very least we might delay the inevitable.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    China has the biggest economy in the world..will they start making this world a better place now?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Matt, Population growth needs to be stopped. Till that happens doesn't matter if we do a little bit better. But your right air is cleaner in many places and water getting cleaner.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

China has the biggest economy in the world..will they start making this world a better place now?

No. Money is king, at all costs.