Any opinions on going with thin strings?

Advantages and disadvantages?

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I think they may be a little less steady in the tuning department, but other than that, you'll find alot of myths and opinions surrounding bigger strings. I think it started with SRV, who allegedly used 13 and sometimes higher, but that was actually what he would end up with at the end of a long tour as his hands got stronger.

Some people swear that big strings means big tone, but I've never heard bigger tones than what Jimmy Page and Billy Gibbons are able to get. It's much more in how you approach other gear and your playing style.

I like the resistance that bigger strings offer, but I would have no hesitation in the tone department.
  • bellosjambellosjam Posts: 288
    Thanks for the response!
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    My strat came with 9's and I switched to 10's, mostly because it was the same string diameter as my Les Paul, and I was over-bending the notes on my strat.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H Posts: 2,151
    I used skinny top heavy bottoms (10,13,17,32,42,52), I tried using a standard 9 gauge set but I just felt like I was going to break the strings.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024