Gibson LPJ?

What's the difference with the LPJ and SGJ from other Gibsons? There's a massive price difference, I noticed that. I haven't plugged and played but I did hold one. I used a Gibson Les Paul Mahogany, in 2006, and it lasted 2 songs before I switched back to my strat (I'm a small guy that's 110 pound soaking wet so the weight kicked my butt). Are there quality issues and is it worth possibly buying one?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Junior models tend to be slabs of mahogany, so no carved tops and no maple caps. They do tend to be lighter, if that's a plus for you. The reduced mass tends to mean a little less sustain and a different tone signature. You still get a set neck, which is great, and you still get Gibson pups and hardware, which are pretty good. Besides the lack of a carved maple top, the biggest sacrifices are in body and neck binding, and the quality/grain of the wood being used. You also end up with a maple neck instead of mahogany, which shouldn't make a huge difference overall. But the biggest point remains: try it and see if you like it. Find a store with a good return policy and give it a one-month test drive or something.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Ahh, okay. Weight is a big selling point--if my back hurts after a few songs, I'm not going to even think about buying it.
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    The weight is probably going to vary on the different models or even between different guitars of the same model. When I bought my LP, I tried a bunch of Epiphones and Gibson's and they were all very different. Have fund picking on out! That's exciting! I agree with mccradyisgod- try them out.
  • oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
    The guy at guitar center said that basically they strip all of the nice cosmetics out of the guitar-inlays to dots, nice finish to satin finish, no pick guard etc.

Wind this thing up.

• BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    That sounds about right. My neighbor has one (LPJ), and actually playing his got me hooked on Les Pauls to begin with. They aren't bad guitars.
  • As a owner and a fan of Juniors I have a few tidbits. MIG hit most of it on the head.

Now in the end it depends on what Junior you are looking at.

Some have fixed wrap around tail pieces, some have the Gibson tune-a-matic set up. I've had both. My opinion is that the wrap around tail pieces have a lot more sustain, little more jangle to it. A lot less attack.

They are definitely lighter.

Originally a entry level guitar.

I love them to death. I'm currently the owner of a double cutaway LB, single P-90, with wrap around tail piece. I have a SG version from a friend of mine that passed away coming soon. I love playing open chord stuff on this set up...

Someday I'll get back to having a 2 p90 junior with a tune-a-matic on it.

I highly recommend trying one with a wrap around tail piece first. Although with you being a strat person, it might not be a big deal, strats don't have a lot of attack either.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • The Junior models tend to be slabs of mahogany, so no carved tops and no maple caps. They do tend to be lighter, if that's a plus for you. The reduced mass tends to mean a little less sustain and a different tone signature. You still get a set neck, which is great, and you still get Gibson pups and hardware, which are pretty good. Besides the lack of a carved maple top, the biggest sacrifices are in body and neck binding, and the quality/grain of the wood being used. You also end up with a maple neck instead of mahogany, which shouldn't make a huge difference overall. But the biggest point remains: try it and see if you like it. Find a store with a good return policy and give it a one-month test drive or something.

to my mind it is lacking pretty much everything that makes a les paul a les paul.

they are good guitars IMO, but just not what i look for in a guitar these days.

i had a black one a few years ago. loved the p90s but it was just not what i was looking for. i ended up returning it.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    My favorite LP is the Epi LP 100 just because of the weight. The sustain isn't the best, thoug
  • The Junior models tend to be slabs of mahogany, so no carved tops and no maple caps. They do tend to be lighter, if that's a plus for you. The reduced mass tends to mean a little less sustain and a different tone signature. You still get a set neck, which is great, and you still get Gibson pups and hardware, which are pretty good. Besides the lack of a carved maple top, the biggest sacrifices are in body and neck binding, and the quality/grain of the wood being used. You also end up with a maple neck instead of mahogany, which shouldn't make a huge difference overall. But the biggest point remains: try it and see if you like it. Find a store with a good return policy and give it a one-month test drive or something.

to my mind it is lacking pretty much everything that makes a les paul a les paul.

they are good guitars IMO, but just not what i look for in a guitar these days.

i had a black one a few years ago. loved the p90s but it was just not what i was looking for. i ended up returning it.
    Absolutely. If you are looking for a Les Paul, you get a Les Paul. If you are looking for a Junior, you get a Junior. Les Pauls are heavy, especially playing a show with one strapped on. But I'm a bass player so I'm always used to the weight.

But my guitar tone for the last couple years has been Juniors, bridge pickup, through a 6v6 powered head through a AlNiCo speaker.

There are a lot of great Les Paul Like guitars out there. If you are looking for a Les Paul styled guitar with P90s, maybe look at Hamer. They have a few models that are a in between a Les Paul and a Junior. Extremely well built.

E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • tallman72tallman72 Posts: 353
    the music shop near me said the same , thats its basically stripped back version on the 2 or three models up , so for the money i chose not to have the bling , and its an excellant guitar love it . i really want a tele as well now and im toying with the idea of getting a squire, anyone have one?
    tallman72 said:

the music shop near me said the same , thats its basically stripped back version on the 2 or three models up , so for the money i chose not to have the bling , and its an excellant guitar love it . i really want a tele as well now and im toying with the idea of getting a squire, anyone have one?

I have a squier and I love it---probably more than I love any Fender tele. The weight is great and you can swap the pickups out if you don't like them (I put a Mexican strat single coil in the neck of mine). The sustain isn't the best (but that's the pickups) but the feel is spot on