Options

Why does PJ hate south florida?

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    edited April 2014

Although they do often sell out the West Palm shows (or at least fill them up enough to add a second date), I sometimes wonder if the crowd excitement level is lacking which makes them not too into it. And its not because we dont get excited, its that its so hot, we often are overly laid back. ;)

brianlux said:

Maybe PJ will discover Luna Rex and have that most excellent Southern FL band open for them down there!

This guy ^^^ knows what he's talking about. :D haha i wouldshit my pants x2.
    ^^^ Were having Luna Rex open for PJ to happen, and were I in your shoes it would makes the thought of doing an open mic sound like a cake walk! :-)

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Mcrok 2002 WPB was one of the best crowds of any PJ show I've been to.2008 was start of tour night and I thought set list was a lil weak,but I agree crowd was the least rabid of all past shows.We have been to surprising amount of the same shows so ill assume you agree the Borgata shows had an energy hard to find at bigger venues?
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    mcrok said:

Although they do often sell out the West Palm shows (or at least fill them up enough to add a second date), I sometimes wonder if the crowd excitement level is lacking which makes them not too into it. And its not because we dont get excited, its that its so hot, we often are overly laid back. ;)

When was the last time they played back to back shows in WPB?...it was a long time ago. South Florida music scene was really great in the 90s and that is why they would end tour legs there. Much has changed since then. Sorry to burst the bubble but there is some misplaced history running thru this thread. Crowd excitement was off the chain in the mid to late 90s...heat is a bad excuse...if anything it would affect the band not the crowd (should be used to it).
    Yeah you're right.. I was thinking the last time in WPB (2008) they had back to back shows, but I went to Tampa the next day, so I forgot, it wasnt back to back WPB. Eds last solo tour had back to back sell out though in Ft. Lauderdale. I do agree, something has changed here with crowd energy. Maybe the PJ fanbase is older or something? I do recall the last show in WPB it was brutally hot and there were a good deal of people around me sitting, only about 20 rows back too. I recall thinking the crowd sucked and the only thing I could think was they are older and it was hot as fuck. Maybe you think its a bad excuse, but I know it makes me feel a bit lethargic if Im just standing there sweating my ass off-- that a lot different than performing and the energy required. What else could it be? Maybe the people of Florida just didnt like Avocado? I dunno..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    brianlux said:

^^^ Were having Luna Rex open for PJ to happen, and were I in your shoes it would makes the thought of doing an open mic sound like a cake walk! :-)

Haha yeah no kidding Brian! I'd just have the lightning guy put the lights right in my face so I couldnt see the crowd. :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Anything even remotely related to a Bush is a no go..... two words Jeb Bush... lol
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    AC16758AC16758 Posts: 46
    To Hot!!
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    rr165892 said:

Mcrok 2002 WPB was one of the best crowds of any PJ show I've been to.2008 was start of tour night and I thought set list was a lil weak,but I agree crowd was the least rabid of all past shows.We have been to surprising amount of the same shows so ill assume you agree the Borgata shows had an energy hard to find at bigger venues?

I agree. Borgata was fantastic. Top 5 show for me.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628

mcrok said:

When was the last time they played back to back shows in WPB?...it was a long time ago. South Florida music scene was really great in the 90s and that is why they would end tour legs there. Much has changed since then. Sorry to burst the bubble but there is some misplaced history running thru this thread. Crowd excitement was off the chain in the mid to late 90s...heat is a bad excuse...if anything it would affect the band not the crowd (should be used to it).
    Yeah you're right.. I was thinking the last time in WPB (2008) they had back to back shows, but I went to Tampa the next day, so I forgot, it wasnt back to back WPB. Eds last solo tour had back to back sell out though in Ft. Lauderdale. I do agree, something has changed here with crowd energy. Maybe the PJ fanbase is older or something? I do recall the last show in WPB it was brutally hot and there were a good deal of people around me sitting, only about 20 rows back too. I recall thinking the crowd sucked and the only thing I could think was they are older and it was hot as fuck. Maybe you think its a bad excuse, but I know it makes me feel a bit lethargic if Im just standing there sweating my ass off-- that a lot different than performing and the energy required. What else could it be? Maybe the people of Florida just didnt like Avocado? I dunno..
    I agree. It was humid as hell that day. I even played golf earlier and thought I was going to die, lol. Maybe they should do some indoor shows there? I just think the music scene has changed a lot down there. Obviously, there are still some cool folks there but I think you all have become the minority in S FL. It is like another country and so much more superficial than 15-20 yrs ago.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options

mcrok said:

And the place they've been playing in west palm is too big and the sound sucks. I think that is part of the problem. they need to play a better venue down here.