Can someone recommend a good turntable?

Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,592
edited April 2014 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I have a basic sony turntable, nothing special. I've been listening to it for years, and its just ok. I wanted to get something a bit more mid-level, maybe in the $100-$250 range. Any suggestions? My basic needs are listening on headphones as well as playing on an amp, so any other suggestions will be helpful. (Pre-amp, etc)

Thanks!

Oh, and please use small words than I can understand. :)
Turn this anger into
Nuclear fission

Comments

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    Small words I can do.

Up your budget to $500 and get a Rega RP1, Music Hall mmf 2.2 or Project Debut Carbon. Do you have the amp already? To be 100% honest, be diligent and put your hard-earned money into a good little system. You won't be disappointed if you spend more. You're certain to get an amazing set of products if you truly enjoy the turntable experience, which it sounds like you do. Mid-level isn't $100-$250. Mid-level is $4000-$6000 (turntable, amp/receiver, speakers, cables). Entry level is $2000-$4000 for the same list of gear. If you're willing to risk it all, go as cheap as you can and just head out and buy the first turntable you see for $200. But I'm telling you, it may not be your wisest choice if you're a music lover. Take all advice with a grain of salt, but I'm trying to be fair and honest with you too. If you're not ready to spend over $1000 on a full system, then I can't help you choose your HiFi set-up. If you are, then I can put some more time in, no worries. I just grabbed all of the gear necessary to put my 600+ record collection to good use finally. I've spent probably $4000-$5000 on my records and I bought a $630 turntable, $350 set of speakers (great deal on a set of Tannoy DC4's and DC4 LCR), $70 on custom made speakers (excellently cheap price for a durable homemade speaker) and $1100 on the receiver, which has the built-in pre-amp (also called a phono stage). Altogether about $2200 on the HiFi gear which I plan on using for at least 10 years. Do the math. It's definitely worth it. Feel free to bounce ideas / questions off me.

Cheers
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!