Best SINGLE channel Amp?

Tube/Solid State/Hybrid.

I have always wanted to play a single channel amp. Having two channels makes me feel like I need to use both. I guess I'm weird. Anyway, I have a Roc Pro 700---is there anyway to combine both channels? Silly question, I know. I was also wondering what you all preferred in terms of a single channel amp. BONUS: Single Channel combo (if there is such a thing). Mega Bonus: Moderately priced single channel Combo
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I'm a believer in single channel amps. I've had the multiple channel do it all amps and a few 2 channel jobs and they don't cmpare with the single channels amps I've played. They just have a much purer sound and respond to the player, guitar and pedals much better.

I was skeptical before making the switch, but a volume pedal and some drive pedals helped me on my way, and now I've learned how to use the guitar controls and picking dynamics in a way I never would've before.

There are all kinds of single channel amps out there in any price range. I own an Egnater Rebel20 that sounds good and I've heard great things about their Tweaker, which is think are on close out at Guitar Center, so a great deal to be had. Buddies fiancé has a Tweaker comb that sounds really good and it has a switch for Fender, Vox and Marshall sounds.

I'd say you are in a great time to be searching for this kinda amp, as there are so many options.
  • i think ANY single channel amp is better than any multichannel amp out there.

when i first started i thought the more channels the better. turns out that there is just more tone sucking circuitry in there and that the simpler the amp, the better.

i use only single channel amps now. main rig is a 50 watt '74 marshall jmp. it is a non master volume so when i play a place where i need a master volume control i use a '94 matchless clubman. the matchless is more pedal friendly and cleans up extraordinaroly well, but that marshall sound is what my band is known for, so i use that as much as possible.

i have played a lot of boutique single channel stuff like bad cat, star, divided by 13, etc, and for my price range the ones i have are the best ones for me.

good luck in your search!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • when i said this "i think ANY single channel amp is better than any multichannel amp out there." i was referring to single channel tube amps.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I'm just looking, for now---trying to save money...but I'm very slowly getting interested in playing again
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Three amps popped in my head: Tweed Champ, Marshall Plexi, and blackface Princeton Reverb.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'd say with a tube amp, it really depends on what volume and how clean you need it to be at that volume.

I tend to lean towards amps with a two 6v6 power tube setup and tube rectifier. I feel 6V6 break up is a bit more creamy then a 6L6. But I also don't like really bright clean tones. I also like that 20 watt range of amp, so I never look for perfectly clean tones.

That being said I feel the mid 60's Fender Deluxe fit the bill. I personally have a hand wired amp a friend built/ designed for me which is a cross bred of a pre amp section out of 5E3 and the power section out of the 60s deluxe (with a choke! thank goodness!)

I also have a 50 watt mid 70's bassman that has much more head room. Its a 6L6 amp. Great guitar tones out of that. But I rely on my fuzz and overdrive pedals for all the dirty tones... Too loud for me to get it to really break up.

I have zero experience with the modern tube amps unfortunately. I actually get a headache instantly when I step into a guitar center etc... LOL
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H Posts: 2,151
    I have a PRS Dallas II that sounds pretty cool. Its based off of a Fender Twin Reverb.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024