Mark your calendars, sky watchers: total lunar eclipse on April 15 (Blood Moon)

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon

Comments

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    B-)
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I heard about this! Definitely going to be setting my alarm, taking a picture and then passing back out haha
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Posts: 3,777
    edited April 2014
    Picture looks awesome, thanks Lukin2006 it will be amazing to see. Fingers crossed it's not raining.

I looked it up for Sydney and we can see it late evening to early night, see below:

Event UTC Time Time in Sydney Visible in Sydney
    Penumbral Eclipse begins 15 Apr at 4:55 AM 15 Apr at 2:55 PM No, under horizon
    Partial Eclipse begins 15 Apr at 5:59 AM 15 Apr at 3:59 PM No, under horizon
    Full Eclipse begins 15 Apr at 7:08 AM 15 Apr at 5:08 PM No, under horizon
    Maximum Eclipse 15 Apr at 7:46 AM 15 Apr at 5:46 PM Yes
    Full Eclipse ends 15 Apr at 8:23 AM 15 Apr at 6:23 PM Yes
    Partial Eclipse ends 15 Apr at 9:32 AM 15 Apr at 7:32 PM Yes
    Penumbral Eclipse ends 15 Apr at 10:36 AM 15 Apr at 8:36 PM Yes
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,187
    The Religious freaks here are very concerned with this event they are expecting Biblical events coming from this Blood Red Moon ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

The Religious freaks here are very concerned with this event they are expecting Biblical events coming from this Blood Red Moon ...

Oh lordy! I haven't heard any rumblings like that here. Even the article says "The coming red moon, which you may have heard called a “blood moon,” is a perfectly natural occurrence."

Hope I can catch a bit of this...it'll be a nice way to end tax-filing day!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    hedonist said:

Oh lordy! I haven't heard any rumblings like that here. Even the article says "The coming red moon, which you may have heard called a “blood moon,” is a perfectly natural occurrence."

Hope I can catch a bit of this...it'll be a nice way to end tax-filing day!
    I know i hope i can see it too ! the one guy in my office who is a bible thumper actually took the day off hi's really expecting something to go down
    =))
  • njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    This article explains the phases and what time each part of the eclipse will happen in different time zones. http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/aprils-total-eclipse-of-the-moon/
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited April 2014
    Well, it's 9:40pm here in LA, and the moon is high and white (much like me at the moment :D).

I'm waiting!
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    it was like 80 yesterday and now it's snowing. i can't see the moon at all. :(
    did you see me? i saw you.
    It's 1:37am here in New Jersey and just as it started - total cloud cover!!! Arggghhh!!! :-L The actual total eclipse is supposed to happen around 3ish here - so, I'll be tired tomorrow. Oh, if you have clear skies - Venus is also visible - it's been at its closest distance from Earth for a bit. It'll be red. You can watch it on-line if you have clouds, or snow - there's a link in the article above.
    Hope this works better - the other link drove me insane http://www.ustream.tv/channel/6539981
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,144
    Here in Chicago it is clear and IT IS SPECTACULAR!!
    There is about a 1/4 of the moon visible.
    edited April 2014
    I'm watching it on the NASA website and i saw it turning red a little bit ago! I just walked three blocks to try and get away from all the tall buildings but the most i saw was a reddish sky. A policeman asked me what i was doing and i said 'looking for the moon'. Thinking on that, i probably sounded insane. i wish there weren't so many damn buildings - enjoy your live show!!!
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Was a beautiful site here in northern BC, glad it was clear enough to witness from my backyard.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,144
    I have never seen such a red moon during a lunar eclipse! The white of the moon is starting to return now, like a crescent.
    Total black out here in NY Cloud covered skies , will have to wait to OCT for the next one ...
    It seemed so promising (NJ) when it was in the pre-umbral stage. Clear skies - bright bright full moon and then just as the good stuff was supposed to happen - 'total black out', as you said. I too will be looking skyward in October.