*Fender Telecaster/Stratocaster update*

oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
edited April 2014 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am a novice guitar player. I have been playing for about a year now and realized that I will be sticking with this for the rest of my life to some degree. Since I surpassed the one year hump I decided to start saving towards a better guitar to serve as motivation to keep playing. I currently have two fender squiers (tele, strat) that I got for just over $100 a piece. I never really like the feel of the strat and love my telecaster. I have tried some gibsons/epiphone sg/les pauls as well and realized I just want another telecaster. I played a Squier 50's vibe that I liked, and almost purchased, but it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade so I refrained. I think that I want a Fender American Special telecaster and is more in the price range that I can handle with some saving.

Is there a lot of difference between this and the American standard?

How about road worn telecasters?

Any thoughts from some real guitar players out there?

I also just tried a Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Plus Top and loved the look and feel. Right now in my amateur skills I have a strong affliction for fenders modern C 9.5" neck. Anyone tried one out?

Wind this thing up.

Post edited by oysterjar on

Comments

• edited April 2014
    You can't go wrong with any of those choices IMO. I LOVE teles (have an american standard and an american tele plus) I played a tele special (in olympic white) recently and loved it. If I could swing it right now financially I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat. Going from the Squier line to either a road worn or a special I am sure you will be happy either way.

For more of the technical side I am sure MIG or another regular will be more helpful.

For what its worth, I know a lot of people happy with Mexican made teles as well (always try a few out, if it plays well, its a good guitar bottom line!)

Good Luck!!!
    Toronto - 1996, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 1 & 2.
    Buffalo - 2010
  • oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
    That's what I have heard so far about MIM fenders. But there are always people that feel strongly about "better" more expensive guitars. I just want one guitar, under 1k, that I could play the rest of my life. I have no plans in modifying it after either.

Thanks!

Wind this thing up.

• Then go used American Standard!! I usually go with fewer guitars and better quality (when the budget allows for it!)
    Toronto - 1996, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 1 & 2.
    Buffalo - 2010
    Do you know of any trusted places buying used instead of guitar center? I have searched craigslist in my area for months and nothing. I am not in big rush, I just don't plan on seeing any in my area for a while if ever.

Wind this thing up.

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    oysterjar said:

Do you know of any trusted places buying used instead of guitar center? I have searched craigslist in my area for months and nothing. I am not in big rush, I just don't plan on seeing any in my area for a while if ever.

If you're not in any rush, I'd wait it out on craigslist. You're bound to pay less and maybe even find something awesome. Almost all of my 11 guitars (plus amps and a plethora of pedals) are from ebay or craigslist.

I have a Squier tele that I like more than any Fender tele I've played. I also got a JBL tele (as a gift from my fiance's dad---now I know I'm "in" the family). Great guitar with awesome sustain. If I get another tele, it'll be the Tele Custom. If possible, head into guitar center and try out the teles they have---even better if they have the amp/effects you use.

Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,103
    All I can tell you is that my American Special (http://www.fender.com/series/american-special/american-special-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/) is one of the loves of my life. I took the pickguard off so that I can get leverage by digging my unused fingers in the space for the wires to travel between pickups, and it's great. The versatility and feel of a Tele, for me, are unsurpassed. I even convinced a roommate to name his dog Tele as a result. Great dog too. Dumb as a rock, regrettably.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    That is actually the exact one I was looking at. I liked the saddles being modeled after the 50's style. What do you think of the jumbo frets? My tele has medium jumbo and didn't know how much the difference would be?

Wind this thing up.

oysterjar said:

If you're not in any rush, I'd wait it out on craigslist. You're bound to pay less and maybe even find something awesome. Almost all of my 11 guitars (plus amps and a plethora of pedals) are from ebay or craigslist.

I have a Squier tele that I like more than any Fender tele I've played. I also got a JBL tele (as a gift from my fiance's dad---now I know I'm "in" the family). Great guitar with awesome sustain. If I get another tele, it'll be the Tele Custom. If possible, head into guitar center and try out the teles they have---even better if they have the amp/effects you use.

Have you changed anything to your squire? I love mine and just lowered the string height to make it more comfortable, other than that its right from the store as is. I get a little fret buzz but overall it does what I want it too for now.

Wind this thing up.

oysterjar said:

Have you changed anything to your squire? I love mine and just lowered the string height to make it more comfortable, other than that its right from the store as is. I get a little fret buzz but overall it does what I want it too for now.

Added a Mexican Strat single coil PUP in the neck. I kinda regret it, though-just not the sound I wanted. I'm sure I've changed the string height, too. Added a political bumper sticker to the back (the guy running for Sheriff is a close friend and literally helped save my life when I was dead in a car accident. I promised to always help support him).
  • BHealyBHealy Posts: 466
    Guitar shopping is so fun! Try as many as you can!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I would probably avoid any Squier made in the last 20 years. The original Mexi Squiers were pretty nice (and I have one myself), but I haven't liked the stuff from Korea or China. There are gems to be had, but you gotta look at a lot of logs before finding anything good.

The MIM stuff is great. I've seen some that were abused because previous owners thought of them as cheap, but the quality off the factory floor is amazing when you compare it to the USA Fenders, *for the price. Again, there are gems, and there are logs. Try before you buy, caveat emptor, etc. MIJ/CIJ stuff goes roughly in the same category.

But there was one phrase here that caught my eye:
    oysterjar said:

I just want one guitar, under 1k, that I could play the rest of my life. I have no plans in modifying it after either.

If you want one guitar, out of the box, not needing mods, that you can keep forever and ever, then I'd say American Standard. It's the definition of a solid guitar that will age over decades, and need no improvements. I am also a huge proponent of buying used gear, but based on that "one guitar for life, no mods" philosophy, you might buy new. Even if it means saving for longer, there's something about getting a guitar brand-new and just holding on to it forever.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    That's what I have been thinking but I didn't know which one. I am not good enough yet to say "Well this guitar will work for me the rest of my life" Do you think a MIM will carry me 10 years or so? I appreciate your input and agree with what you had said I just need an upgrade from my squiers and I am not ready to break the 1K threshold and would realistically like to keep it at half that.

Wind this thing up.

I would probably avoid any Squier made in the last 20 years. The original Mexi Squiers were pretty nice (and I have one myself), but I haven't liked the stuff from Korea or China. There are gems to be had, but you gotta look at a lot of logs before finding anything good.

I love both of my Squiers. The strat is from 2003 and the Tele is newer (can't remember the year).
    My tele bridge keeps loosening up on me and I get fret buzz unless I set the action up too high. It feels and looks great but I want to get comfortable with a long term guitar.

Wind this thing up.

oysterjar said:

My tele bridge keeps loosening up on me and I get fret buzz unless I set the action up too high. It feels and looks great but I want to get comfortable with a long term guitar.

Have you taken it to get set up by a luthier? Almost all guitars need a true set up (no matter what the quality is). Intonation needs to be set, frets need to be dressed, and (if it's electric) add some sound tape to the inside. Just these few little things can make a $100 guitar sound lightyears better than any $1000+ guitar out of the box. I had the set up done on my strat and (maybe it's because it's my first guitar and sentimental) but I always find that as my "go to"guitar.
    I haven't but I have contemplated it. I just never wanted to on a $100 guitar. The saddle really suck and this model isn't a string through telecaster so there isn't as much to play with for saddles. I will look into it though. Thanks again.

Wind this thing up.