Meteorites for sale for those interested

Just throwin it out there. I have listed some meteorites for sale for anyone here that is into astronomy or rock collecting. Meteorite hunting is a passion of mine, almost as much as following PJ around. So, if this at all interests you, fell free to check them out. They are small little buggers, but they're so cool. The oldest things you will ever hold in your hands are meteorites. Own a few fragments of outer space, or give them to the budding rockhound in your family. Thanks for looking. Cheers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271431398250?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
Tagged:

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited March 2014
    very cool!

might i ask how do you go about finding a meteorite, where do you find them? & whatever else you would like to share
    thanks
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    i've got like 20 meteorites just sitting in my garage. no thank you. i have plenty.
    www.myspace.com
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    chadwick said:

very cool!

might i ask how do you go about finding a meteorite, where do you find them? & whatever else you would like to share
    thanks

I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya.

In all seriousness though, I don't mind divulging some of the secrets. First: ya gotta be passionate about meteorites, because it's a tough gig to get into if you want to find your own. Do I still have your eyes and ears? haha. You've got to first try to find out where meteorites have been found in the past. Because typically, where one meteorite is found, more are found in the same area. Reason being, when a fireball flies over an area (ie, Russia fireball from last Feb) they explode at least once. Every explosion is causing hundreds, if not thousands, of the fireball (the rock) to scatter. The bigger the fireball, the bigger the initial size of the rock, the more fragments that fall to the ground. Farmers find most of the meteorites we know of simply because they own large plots of land. They generally find BIGGER meteorites that end up getting caught in their ploughs, combines, swathers etc.... simply because the rocks are heavy (iron-filled) and generally look weird. So, if you know of an area that once had a meteorite found, chances are there will be more in that area. Now, when a fireball explodes in the sky (which we see as big bursts of light - ie, Russian fireball again is the perfect example), that happens at altitudes in the range of 30-80 kilometers (18-50 miles) high. Note: 747's cruise at about 7 miles altitude, so these rocks are VERY HIGH and VERY FAR away and travel VERY FAST. I'm talking 10 to 70km/s. or 25,000 to 160,000 mph. We're talking speeds INCOMPREHENSIBLE to the human brain. So, when a fireball is spotted in the sky and it lasts for several seconds, these fireballs are generally very far away from the observer. The observer commonly thinks the fireball is "just over there!!!" "I saw where it landed!!!!" "it was just over the hill and behind that farm!!" well.... unfortunately this is not the case. They are hundreds of miles away from you when you see them UNLESS they are DIRECTLY overhead you. Anyways, I've digressed. Here are some FAQ's on fireballs worth reading if you're at all interested in meteorite hunting. http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/faqf/

After that, you have to find a good metal detector (usually ones that work well for finding gold work well for finding meteorites - it's just the way it is. There are no metal detectors specifically designed yet for meteorites) Even the ones the guys use on Meteorite Men, are using ones that are designed specifically for gold.

Or, if you're lucky to be in the region where a fireball even occurred and it was big enough to drop meteorites, then stay tuned to the news and contact a local university department and ask for the geology department. They may have a group of people heading out to try to find pieces. It takes days, months or sometimes years to find your first meteorite, but if your keen on the subject, and join up with some online forums to discuss the passion, you'll find yourself out in a field sooner than later with some like-minded people searching around for space rocks.

Haha - wow. Time for bed.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!