Options

Avocado...

KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
Is an amazing record. It doesn't get the props I think it deserves though. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    It's got some songs that don't work so well for me personally but none are bad and a number of them are favorites of mine. Overall, I'm a fan of the Avocado/self-titled and would LOVE to see it re-released on vinyl! I would order a copy right away if that happened!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cwar077cwar077 Posts: 72
    One of my absolute favourites and also a key turning point in the evolution of their sound. Marker, unemployable, comotose are all incredible. Plus the album has the best flow from start to finish
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Well it is Pearl Jam so it's going to be Alright :P lol
  • Options
    rylanrylan Posts: 206
    Front to back, awesome album. Definately flows nicely.
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    edited March 2014
    So funny to see two people mention the flow.
    I don't have a problem with it myself, but someone I know argued that the songs were badly selected for Avocado.
    Although I myself like the whole album from start to finish with the exception of Big wave, I do understand what the guy was saying. It starts loud and ends soft. That could have been differently.
    However as it is the songs fit nicely as they are.
    I agree that it doesn't get enough credit, because the songs on there are really good.
    Post edited by karmadefect on
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Its In my top 3 for PJ albums. Love it
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    in the lower 1/2 of PJ albums for me (just) but that only means that it is totally kick ass. :)
    Great album that grew on me with the live versions replayed over and over
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    That's the album that brought me back... I faded on Binaural and Riot Act... It's one of my favorites... The whole album is a gem
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I like the album, but to me, its the first PJ album where there arent any real heavy hitters. I like Marker in the Sand and Army Reserve the most. And unemployable is pretty cool.

I see I'm definitely the minority here, but I thought the flow on this record was the first time that PJ just threw some songs on an album.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Last of the Good albums......lol
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    cwar077 said:

One of my absolute favourites and also a key turning point in the evolution of their sound. Marker, unemployable, comotose are all incredible. Plus the album has the best flow from start to finish

Totally agree. It was definitely an album that turned them in another, totally different, direction. And I feel like the 2006 tour for that album was the beginning of a whole new era of live shows. I kind of see it as the album that brought them to full maturity as a band.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I absolutely love this album, and each time I listen to it I like it even more than the last time.... not sure where the ceiling is, lol. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Marker in the sand & Come Back are two of my favs
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I absolutely love this album, and each time I listen to it I like it even more than the last time.... not sure where the ceiling is, lol. :P

Same here. In fact (I hate to admit this), I remember being disappointed the first time I heard it. Riot act was (and still is) my least favorite album and at first I thought they were heading down that same path. But every time I listened to it, it seemed to get better and better. Now I hold it in the same regards as no code, which sure says a lot.
  • Options
    Every time PJ make you question whether your or not your still on the same page musically, they come back and throw something in your face like Avocado and Lightning bolt, that make you stand up listen again. Avocado was like that and the more you listened the more you discovered in it.
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065

Its In my top 3 for PJ albums. Love it

+1
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    I would personally take out Comatose Parachutes and Big Wave to customize it for me. And the flow would bee good.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2014
    TJ25487 said:

I would personally take out Comatose Parachutes and Big Wave to customize it for me. And the flow would bee good.

I would leave Comatose in simply for the amazing riff starting at 1:32 of the song.

The other two I agree with you.
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    edited March 2014

TJ25487 said:

I would leave Comatose in simply for the amazing riff starting at 1:32 of the song.

I would leave it in just because I couldn't stop singing it at one point and so I sang it in the plane on our way to Rome.
    I didn't even notice that;

Yeh, I'll be hanging upside down. An there I will swing.
    For all eternity.

Feel it rising,... Yeh, next stop falling
    Feel it rising,... Comatose, with no fear of falling

might be considered a tad bit unappropriate until my girlfriend gave me a little push with a smile.
    The falling part focussed her attention on something she didn't really want to think about. :D
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    I think parachutes grew on me more than any other song on the album. I skipped over it for the longest time, but now I love it. Go figure...
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    I think Ed almost blew out his voice on this album. Life Wasted and Comatose come to mind
  • Options

TJ25487 said:

I would leave it in just because I couldn't stop singing it at one point and so I sang it in the plane on our way to Rome.
    I didn't even notice that;

Yeh, I'll be hanging upside down. An there I will swing.
    For all eternity.

Feel it rising,... Yeh, next stop falling
    Feel it rising,... Comatose, with no fear of falling

might be considered a tad bit unappropriate until my girlfriend gave me a little push with a smile.
    The falling part focussed her attention on something she didn't really want to think about. :D
    My favorite part is the part where he goes "high above I'll break the law, if its illegal to be in love etc.
    Parts of the song I really like but as a whole it doesn't stack up for me like the others.
  • Options
    KC2917 said:

I think parachutes grew on me more than any other song on the album. I skipped over it for the longest time, but now I love it. Go figure...

Never underestimate a PJ song. I skipped over Habit for many years. Who knew?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited March 2014

TJ25487 said:

Parachutes competes for my favorite song on the album! :) I really like Comatose too.
    But i could do without Big Wave. It's just too much about surfing... I surfed for a weekend once, but never really caught a BIG wave, so i can't relate, hahaha. :P
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    It's my favorite post yield album. I think it's pretty good.
  • Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    Top three, without hesitation. I think the the songs on the album hold up great compared to the different styles of songs on their other albums. Punk, rock, ballad, chill, amped up ect ect.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    i like it
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    I love the music but hate the production. Compressed, Loud, hurts my ears The songs are all great, the tracking order flows nicely. Some really thought provoking tunes, a little politics, a little humor, lots of introspection. I just wish someone could take the multitrack and re-mix/re-master without all that compression. Let it get loud. Let it get quiet. It just sounds unnatural to my ears.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787

I love the music but hate the production. Compressed, Loud, hurts my ears The songs are all great, the tracking order flows nicely. Some really thought provoking tunes, a little politics, a little humor, lots of introspection. I just wish someone could take the multitrack and re-mix/re-master without all that compression. Let it get loud. Let it get quiet. It just sounds unnatural to my ears.

Spot On !!!!!! Only problem with the album

• Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    One of my least favorite. It is PJ, so there are some GREAT songs on there: Comatose, Comeback, Inside Job.
    There are just too many songs that I just plain do not like: Marker in the Sand (probably my least favorite PJ song ever along with Help Help), Parachutes, Gone. I never listen to these and must skip.

They really made up for this effort with Backspacer though!