Which ts9 Keeley Mod?

Hi. I just picked up a ts9. It looks like Keeley has a couple different mods. Which would get me the closest to early PJ? The baked mod? Thanks

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The early PJ sound is essentially big Marshall amps driven hard, with either a TS-9 (Mike) or SD-9 (Stone) in front. I feel like Keeley's Baked TS-9 could get you pretty close to those sounds (it may help to mention that I have both Keeley pedals, the Baked and the Plus). This is, however, pretty dependent on what amp(s) you are driving with the pedals. The Plus mod is probably closer to what Mike is using and has used in the past, but I feel like the Baked mod has most of the range of the Plus, but with more at the top end of the gain spectrum. The Keeley tubescreamer mods all have the general tubescreamer tonality, which is to say a big midrange bump; by comparison, the SD-9 was more of a scooped-mid distortion pedal. I guess it mostly comes down to who you want to sound more like, Mike or Stone.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
    Thanks for the info..... Stone's early tones is what I'm thinking of. If you have the "Gossman Demo's" you will know what I mean. Thanks again for your help.

Mike
  • i have an old sd-9 that i had used for many years in front of a marshall jcm 800 and 900. i could get close to stone's tone with it.

no matter which pedal you go with, i think the key to the early pj sound is the overdriven marshall amp. if you listen to live recordings of the early years compared to the 2000s tours prior to the backspacer tours where stone began using the marshalls again, the boutique amps they used just sounded thin to me, they were lacking the "oomph" of those old marshalls. even with the tubescreamer, i do not think you can quite nail it without that old marshall head.

but then again, i am a vintage marshall guy, so my ears might possibly be biased.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
    Gotcha. I'm just a 44 yr old basement player. I don't want to blow my family away with a big overdriven Marshall. I'm not a fan of their Class 5 either. I'll keep searching for that Gossman demo tone. Thanks guys.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    At bedroom volumes, your best bet might be modeling amp. Or you could go looking for the fabled "Marshall in a Box". A lot of people like the Marshall Governor pedal for this purpose, but I myself am a fan of the ProCo Rat. I certainly agree that the amp is a key part of the equation, as I tried to explain before. There are some pretty decent Marshall clones in lower wattages from other manufacturers, but the good ones cost some substantial money; the real thing can't be had in good quality in less than 45 watts. But I wouldn't rule out a Line 6 amp for this purpose.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    My favorite sounding keeley moded pedal is the BD-2 blues driver with the fat mod. I think it offers a bigger tone range than the TS-9 mods do.
  • i didn't know keely modded the blues driver..

i am not a big fan of line 6 stuff, but for bedroom stuff it might be really good.

https://robertkeeley.com/products/boss/blues-driver/

I've had mine for 2 years, not sure when he started doing mods on them.
  • thanks for the link. i am not a big fan of the way they did the demo tracks. i would rather just hear the guitar and the pedal, but its all good. i am thinking about that keely compressor when i get some gig money saved up. keely stuff is not cheep...

I have the two knob compressor, I would highly suggest that one. It is cheaper and has the other two adjustments on the bottom.