Options

favorite concert moment for personal reasons?

qq New York Posts: 97
So less about what happened on stage or memorable moments in PJ concert history, but moments that relate to you...

Mine: I'm in the pit and I am rocking out. Save You comes on and I get (in retrospect) obnoxiously into it. Unfortunately, I basically punched the dude next to me in the face. My first thought is oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit. I immediately stop and get into my apology mood shouting I'm sorry I'm sorry. He turns to me with the biggest smile with a big thumbs up giving a "rock on!!" laugh. Love that guy wherever he may be. Awesome moment in the pit hahaha!

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Alpin 98, Ed reaching down an grabbing my sisters hand, then placing his pic into it, closing her fingers around it, and going back to sing.....we had front row center because of the cancelled 96 dates. We were put on a priority list, and they delivered!
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Hmm two really.
    First was Daughter at Bonnaroo. It was the end of a very fucked up chapter in my life, and a sign that things were changing for the better. I bawled like a baby and and yelled fuck you bitch it's finally over!! ( to my mother, who'd passed awY the previous October)And some random lady next to me, gave me the biggest hug ever. I could tell she knew my pain, and my new found freedom.. It meant the world to me.

Two wod be taking my older sister ( who introduced me to PJ 23 years ago..) to see them live finally. Her very first show happened to be Wrigley! It was epic!! So epic, that she also went with me to the Dallas and OKC shows!! She finally got to understand why they mean so much to me.. And why I travel so far and wide to see them repeatedly.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    edited March 2014
    PJ20 Alpine Valley Night 1. Release.

I was living out in Virginia at the time, and I hadn't seen my best friend from Iowa before I moved to Virginia from Iowa for work. Both huge PJ fans. We wasted an entire day at work hitting F5 to get tickets, and finally at the very end of the day we scored tickets. The anticipation and excitement leading up to that weekend was second to none. The weekend finally came and my best friend and his wife and her brother picked me up at the airport in Milwaukee the Friday before the show. Keep in mind this was the first time in two years I had seen him, and this being the weekend of PJ20 - HUGE implications. The night before the show it was beautiful and we picked up our tickets and grabbed merch. As we're standing in line to get merch, we gradually realize that we were extremely lucky and scored lottery for Night 1 - 9th row front and center. Wow. We then confirm with the box office that we did indeed score lottery. I don't think we slept much that night, just catching up and drinking and getting ready for the show.

Day of show comes and although rainy and cold, just a beautiful event. Vibes and energy was just off the charts. We go into venue probably go through 6 different security check points to get to our seats. We get there while Mudhoney was on and no one was in there. I had called Release as the opener since the day we got tickets, and what I wanted. My favorite PJ song and in my opinion, their most powerful song. They come out, Ed doesn't look up at the crowd once while walking on stage, and then the opening notes of Release go ringing through the air. The crowd loses their shit, and Ed immediately becomes overwhelmed with emotion. That song from that weekend was easily the greatest musical experience of my life. The energy and vibes were just unreal. Ed's voice was basically overtaken by the crowd for the entire song, and I literally felt like I was lifted off the ground during "I'll ride the wave where it takes me" part from the energy of the entire crowd rolling down the hill by the stage. I still get chills and goose bumps thinking about it. To share that moment, and that entire weekend, with my best friend who I hadn't seen for 2 years who adores PJ as much as I do was just a great moment for me It felt like destiny we scored lottery that night. For some reason, I could feel a change in my life was coming. Two months later I received a promotion for work and relocated half way across the country. It was an individual experience and weekend that I will never forget.

Below is the video that my friend took of Release from his phone from where we were sitting. That experience will always hold a special place in my life. The video is grainy, so bare with it, but it really does a solid job of capturing the raw energy and sound of that performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KTF426at90
    Post edited by YLed2 on
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    in 06 for the euro tour, my buddy and i followed pj around. he was carrying around this texas flag that had gimme some truth written on it. in Vienna ed did a gimme some truth tag to wishlist then dedicated and played gimme some truth to my homeboy at the next show in Croatia. it was pretty badass to see how excited my friend was. and to be involved in the show like that.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Being at Seattle 2 in '00 (last show of the tour), knowing what had happened in Roskilde, imagining how traumatized the band, crew and all PJ fans were at the immense loss, and knowing they weren't doing Alive for the rest of the tour. Hearing the opening notes to Alive and knowing what it meant to them, what it meant to us, appreciating that indeed, we are all still alive, and we should make the most of it... I hardly ever cry at any shows, rarely at PJ, but we were all in tears and singing a song we'd heard a LOT of times before like it was our first time hearing it live. Incredibly moving.

Also being at MSG '98, personally knowing the parties involved in the Breath campaign and how much work they'd done to spread the word, make copies of the signs, get them out... having seen the band's reactions the 2 previous shows (Meadowlands and MSG I) to the signs, and then hearing Ed do his whole (this is not quoted, don't remember the exact words but gist was): "We as a band give and give and give to you, and you just keep asking for more and more and more... do you really think you deserve this? You think you deserve this?" And of course everyone's screaming yes yes yes and then the words "Well... we think so too. Fuck you, we're gonna play it!" and they went into Breath.... THAT was an awesome moment, it was such an all around "WTF?!?!?! Really??" and then everyone going nuts and lots of singing and dancing. Very cool.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Man, I could tell stories all day.

My second show was Montreal '98. We had absolutely amazing seats (11th row floor, Mike's side), and Sometimes --> Corduroy just socked me in the gut. I was completely overwhelmed...totally unexpected.

Going to MSG 2 '08, the night I got engaged to my now wife was awesome. We had great seats and I was on cloud 9. We went to night 1 too, but I think night 2 was when my wife "got" it. We had such a good time...and the diamond on her finger didn't hurt I'm sure ;)

Philly Halloween 09 - Went with my wife (amazing seats again) and it was weeks after we found out we were going to be parents. Again I was on cloud 9. I went the night before with my buddy, and when I told him the news he lost his mind too...that was a cool moment.

Camden 06 - Me and my buddy were sitting in some random seats farther back in the shed during the opener. We had good seats, but just wanted to lay back and chill before PJ's set. So we're sitting in some random seats and get to talking to this guy and girl who were sitting in the row in front of us...also not their seats. So I get to talking about the Boston shows and how I was in the 10C seats and a buddy of mine who was in the nosebleeds said that the reaction to the dropping of Leash was funny because the 10C seats were going apeshit, but everyone else was like "Oh, cool, I like this song...". So the guy in front of me goes "Yeah I saw something about that on the message board". I responded with "Yeah, that was me". And the look on his face was priceless. He goes "Ummm, what is your name...?". I told him BinFrog/Brian and he just smiles..."Dude...I'm Seth!". AKA GuitarHero27 - A guy I had known since the old #PearlJam chat room days on EFNet/IRC from the mid 90's. We now keep in touch frequently. Small world.

On the '13 tour, I brought 5 different people to 5 shows...including 3 newbies. But I think the coolest moment was Hartford. I brought my friend with me who had been to 3 shows with me previously (Camden 1/2 in 2000 and Philly 3 in '09). He has never really been sold on PJ, but he likes coming to shows with me and always has a good time. He's asked me several times why a certain PJ show could be considered epic (he loves Phish, the Dead, jazz, etc). I tried to explain it but it just didn't register. So a couple of days before the show I got some great upgraded seats that got released on TM. We get to our seats and realize how good they are, and we're just in a great mood after a little pre-gaming. Halfway through Long Road he taps me on the shoulder and goes "Dude...Eddie just has me right now". He was all in. That show blew his mind....to the point where we decided not to even try to get Phish tickets for Saturday night in Worcester and instead he made me play some of my favorite PJ stuff for him as we drank beers until the early hours of Sunday morning. PJ will never be a top tier band for him....but he totally gets it now.

I have so many memories from over the years. All the concerts, meeting great people, midnight album sales, the random moments here and there...man I love this band.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    It's a bit of a read but IMO worth it :-) It's amazing what the guys do for us!!

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/142997/my-pearl-jam-story
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    I have been to a dozen shows, each with its own moment, but walking onto center field at Wrigley for a Pearl Jam show was such a great moment, even before the band hit the stage and went into that ridiculous opening set
    you're god and you've got big hands
  • Options
    FE55353FE55353 Greenville, SC Posts: 64
    edited March 2014
    I have 2 moments:

6/21/03 at Alpine Valley.. My wife's first show and only my 4th. The end of LBC has the entire crowd singing and I am feeling the vibe. Later Betterman starts and the crowd sings the first verse anc chorus and I had goosebumps. The weather and vibe made that an epic experience.

Wrigley: Playing Come Back was the such an amazing gesture by the band. I grew up in the hair metal days and the era of only having one show performed across the country. For a band to play the song after a request and video on You Tube cemented PJ as the greatest band for me.
    "If you are listening to this bootleg in Alaska, open the front door." Eddie Vedder 10/8/00

Alpine Valley: 6/26/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03, 9/3/11 Target Center: 6/30/98
    Summerfest: 6/30/06 Music Midtown: 9/22/12 Wrigley Field: 7/19 & 7/20/13, 8/20/16
    Charlotte: 10/30/13
    Greenville: 4/16/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Wrigley Field: 8/20/2016
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    Two moments.

10/31/1993, Greek Theater, Berkeley: I had just finished telling my friend about the awesome Who song Baba O'Riley when all the sudden Pearl Jam starts playing it right in front of us. This moment was so amazing that it was not ruined by Stone's horrible attempt to sing along at a certain point.

11/29/2013, Rose Garden, Portland: We brought our young son to the show with ear protection, but the first few songs still worried mama so she waited outside for a little bit in the hallway. I'm in there by myself watching Sirens, anticipating the singalong that I've heard about, and loving it so much when it happens. Then they put on the most rocking version of Even Flow I've ever heard, including a drum solo (something I'd wanted from Pearl Jam), and I lost it. I had no idea how high I was from that, so when I rushed out to the hall afterward to re-connect with my family, I'm literally bounding like a slobbering dog whose owner has come home. I've never acted so goobery in my life. I was 100% blissed out. Later, the fam rejoined me and we all had a great time at the show.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    Here are a few recent ones for me..
    Phoenix 13 immediately comes to mind. I was standing in the pit near a girl from Utah who was hoping for Just Breathe. She told us that her father passed away and was buried just a few days prior and that song had brought her so much comfort. I told her that I doubted she would get it since it has been out of rotation lately and I had just heard it a few nights earlier in OKC following the impromptu Sadie Hawkins style proposal.. I suggested that she be open and let the songs speak to her. 2 minutes later the lights go down, they walk out and play Long Road and Release back to back. She and her husband and anyone that was within earshot when she told us her situation are all just crying our eyes out.

I believe that anyone who followed the forums and went to Wrigley last summer cried an ocean during Come Back.

Atlanta 2012 Rearviewmirror. Having grown up a victim to fundamentalist Southern Baptist cult like home life, I was carrying around a lot of anger from the mental and physical abuse of my father. For years I loved the song because I related to it and associated it with my own anger.. That night for the first time I realized that the song doesn't come from an angry place at all but is rather a celebration of no longer being a victim. It helped me to find forgiveness.

Back to Phoenix last fall. Getaway.. Re-read last paragraph... Lol.
    Two nights before the show my Father (who lives in North Louisiana) traveled to my sister's home in South Texas where I made a stop over on the tour and we all had an early Thanksgiving dinner. That night he told me he had "been wrong about a lot of things" it didn't fix everything but it was a nice gesture and a start. "Get yours off my plate" :-)

• Options
    The second EV stepped on stage at Gorge night number two.

The heat, crowd, backdrop and the first chord of severed was just outstanding.

Nothing mattered after the music started.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    PJ20 Night 1 opening up with "Release." It was the 1st time I'd heard it live since my Dad had passed away. Truly a moment that I'll never forget.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Light Years dedicated to Terry Fox, Vancouver '09

Terry Fox has always been a hero to me, even moreso after my dad passed away in '08 after a battle with cancer ... Dad was a carpenter, a craftsman. Learned his craft in Italy in the 40s, made his own wooden tools. "I've used hammers made of wood ..." started the tears but in an absolute good way. Felt my dad there with me.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Atlanta 2012 Rearviewmirror. Having grown up a victim to fundamentalist Southern Baptist cult like home life, I was carrying around a lot of anger from the mental and physical abuse of my father. For years I loved the song because I related to it and associated it with my own anger.. That night for the first time I realized that the song doesn't come from an angry place at all but is rather a celebration of no longer being a victim. It helped me to find forgiveness.

Back to Phoenix last fall. Getaway.. Re-read last paragraph... Lol.
    Two nights before the show my Father (who lives in North Louisiana) traveled to my sister's home in South Texas where I made a stop over on the tour and we all had an early Thanksgiving dinner. That night he told me he had "been wrong about a lot of things" it didn't fix everything but it was a nice gesture and a start. "Get yours off my plate" :-)

This post is just...beautiful. As is this whole thread.

There are some who poo-poo those who re-live the past, our memories - "live in the now!" they say - and while I think both views are valuable, it's past experiences (that I guess we do experience in the now as well - but still) that form our wisdom, our soul, our ability to (re)digest past regrets and ultimately forgive...allows us to put some old pain in our own RVM and get the fuck out of Dodge.

And with that, usually - hopefully - comes clarity and peace.

That music can get us there is something else.

Your revelation really made me smile, and I thank you for that.

Oh, and my favorite concert moment... Very first time seeing this band on 10/25/00 in San Diego, with the love of my life. Ten Club came through with flying colors and we got 13th row center. Some of the most positive energy from my fellow attendees I've ever felt.

When they opened with Long Road, I felt...full. Incredibly happy and lucky. I'd wished for so long...and then, there it was. There WE were.

Good fucking times :)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    So many moments with this band.........but you never for get your first.

Being lifted off the ground in the pit at randall's 2 96 during spin the black circle. I remember after the main set my buddy and I retreated to a calmer area and I turned to him and said "now that's a fucking rock band, holy shit they are good"
  • Options
    MSG 2 2008. I hadn't been to a proper PJ show in 8 years. Standing in the dark listening to the opening notes of Release made me remember why I love this band so much and why their music has been with me for the better part of my life.
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Mine might be sitting outside of Wrigley listening to the soundcheck last July 18th. Exactly one year prior to that I was about to go in or emergency surgery to put my left arm back together after a work accident a few hours earlier. Was just so cool to walk off of the L and hear the sounds of PJ coming out of the park and then walk to the street behind the outfield to find a few hundred people gathered for an impromptu concert.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Friday November 1 2013.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Stealing the cork from Ed's wine bottle in Worcester this past tour. The woman next to me was handed Ed's bottle right before "Spin the Black Circle" (special to me because that is the first song I loved from the band). She passed on the bottle to me...I kept the cork and passed it on. I'll have to post the trophy case I put the cork in.
  • Options
    My worst concert moment was losing my front row spot at Wrigley after the intermission by people who did not belong there.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Thanks for bringing up the 1998 breath campaign! That's why 9/11/98 has to be the bonus disc for the re-issue if No Code / Yield boxed set IMO!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Great thread btw..
    Ed asking for and getting Boston Lous hat at Mansfield 6/30/08 , wearing it to perform the "into the wild" pose and singing "given to fly" then tossing it back to Boston Lou was a pretty surreal moment for me!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked said:

Thanks for bringing up the 1998 breath campaign! That's why 9/11/98 has to be the bonus disc for the re-issue if No Code / Yield boxed set IMO!

They should release that whole Yield tour.

• Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Isn't every great moment great for personal reasons?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    qq New York Posts: 97
    FrankieG said:

I meant it more how it relates to you. Like the Breath campaign is one of my favorite concert moments, but I had nothing to do with it or was there. So how you fit in the story basically. Hope that distinction makes sense.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    q said:

FrankieG said:

I meant it more how it relates to you. Like the Breath campaign is one of my favorite concert moments, but I had nothing to do with it or was there. So how you fit in the story basically. Hope that distinction makes sense.
    Gotcha.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    jnikojniko Posts: 292
    Catching the tambourine at the end of the House of Blues Katrina relief concert in 05. I was jumped, tackled, violated but still held on to it. It's hanging on my wall.
  • Options
    Thought of another one...Mansfield #1 2008...the crowd went absolutely nuts after the first verse of "Betterman". I know they usually do, but to this day it's the loudest applause and screaming from a crowd I've ever heard. If went on for at least a minute straight, it was surreal at the time.
  • Options
    jp307677 said:

Thought of another one...Mansfield #1 2008...the crowd went absolutely nuts after the first verse of "Betterman". I know they usually do, but to this day it's the loudest applause and screaming from a crowd I've ever heard. If went on for at least a minute straight, it was surreal at the time.

It was an amazing impromptu moment. I wish better videos existed on YouTube.

The coolest part about it was that it was unplanned. I remember some fans on the message board trying to organize everyone and get it to happen again at night 2 and I just kept thinking to myself that the whole point of that moment was that it just...happened. Trying to get it to happen again just seemed so forced.