Options

Do It Yourself poster framing for this tour?

BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I figured this might be helpful for others as well. I am looking for advice on framing some posters myself, as opposed to getting hem custom framed which is $$$. If anyone is doing it themselves, can you tell us:

1) What poster you are framing
2) Where you got your supplies
3) Exactly what you ordered (dimensions, colors, etc)
4) Post pics if you can

Any ideas?
Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Anyone?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    Maybe try BRY or expresso forums - might get more help there. I hear you about the custom framing - perhaps thats why I have such a back log of posters to frame.

Best of luck.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    From my experience, I HATED IT...I had nothing but problems. Was buying foam board, sectional frames and non-glare glass with the idea of doing it my self. All they did was ripple in the frames and looked like shit. Not sure why either. I used plenty of spring clips and mattes around the posters and they ended up looking pretty bad. That is why I opted to have them all dry mounted. I am not suggestion you do that(it makes some people here want to commit suicide), but that is what I did. Then I had the done professionally for about $70 each. Took the stress out of it and I am very happy with what I have had done so far.
    GOOD LUCK....:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    americanframe.com
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Options
    Brownie9160Brownie9160 Posts: 190
    Framesbymail.com. I've had some success framing a couple of my posters with supplies I ordered from this site. I hadn't had any experience framing before, but they made it pretty easy to understand. I'll post some more details for you later...in the meantime you should check out the site though.
    Hartford 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield I & II 08
    E.V. Boston I & II 08
  • Options
    groovNgroovN Posts: 92
    i get my stuff at ac moore. in their frame shop, they sell the boarder board, per sheet. they have all different colors.

its really easy, you just need a large t-square, a big table and an exact-o knife. you might want to get some extra board just in case you make a mistke. i find if i cut 4/5 deep on the non-color side, and then carefully cut the remaining 5th on the color side, it works the best. just take your time.

their frames are 40% off this weekend, too.... although, i have found that ikea has really nice frames, great selection of the funky sizes that you need for pj frames, and good prices.

to do it yourself is a fraction of a fraction of the cost of getting it done by a frame shop.

good luck!
    picture an empty cup in the middle of the sea
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    I'm framing a DC and a Camden I. I haven't decided on Camden II yet.

I haven't ordered anything yet, but you can bet americanframes is the place I'll by from. They always do me well.

I'll post when I've decided.
  • Options
    MTRMTR Posts: 30
    Good thread, definitely interested.

So is there a problem with having the poster touch the glass if you are not planning on using any mats? Also does anyone have pictures of the plexi stuff that americanframe.com uses?

Thanks
  • Options
    Went down to Michael's and bought a $15 frame and just shoved it inside basically. Not the best course, but the poster is still in perfect condition and it looks alright for what it is. Plus it's dirt cheap!

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3910/dsc00212jp3.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/969/dsc00215nb5.jpg
  • Options
    I just went down to AC Moore to take advantage of the 60% off sale. For Camden II it was $100 for a double mat job, but they ship it out so it takes 3-4 weeks to get it back.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Options
    I recently framed an Eddie Vedder solo tour poster (16" x 24") for my boo.

I went to Michael's and purchased sectional frames (a pair of 16" and a pair of 24") and screwed them together. All the hardware is included.

I also purchased some foam board and cut it to size with a utility knife. I didn't glue the poster to the foam board, it is just being held by the tension of the spring clips. So far so good and it wasn't expensive.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    i just did everything today for my 2 MSG posters

both are 25 x 18.5 so i got 2 frames at target for 14.99 each (28x22), thick metal framing but fake glass (still a good deal)...since they dont make matting that big i went to michaels and it is going to cost 21.99 a poster to put the custom matting down, i just have to bring in the posters and frames i bought...so about 35$ each
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2