Game of Thrones Theories *Spoilers*

Major spoilers if you haven't finished ADWD

Since it seems there are a few AGoT fans here I figured we could try to collect some of the crazy theories from the books. I thought I knew most of them, but last night I heard one I never seen before, and was surprised I never came across it before. I'm just going to list some theories and go from there, discuss them or add new ones. This could be very interesting. A short list to start, the most common one first.

Jon Snow is a Targ
Jon Snow is Azor Ahai
Jaime and Cersei are Targs
Tyrion is a Targ
Frey Pie
Coldhands is BenJen
Maester Conspiracy
Red Viper planned to die

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think R+L=J is very likely, but since so many people think that maybe George will change it

Jon as Azor Ahai. its him or Dany right? I'm guessing him based on Melisandre's recent vision of him

I don't think Jamie and Cersi are Targs. I'd be interested to know more about this i have not heard it before

LOTS of foreshadowing that tyrion could be a targ in a dance with dragons. I really hope not though. Tyrion is kind of cool as being the lannister that is different i hope its not partly because he is a targ but they foreshadowed his interest in dragons back in book one i do hope he becomes a dragon rider that would be cool

Frey pie for SURE THE NORTH Remembers. Manderly asking the bard to play the rat king while it was served no doubt in my mind he served frey's to everyone. I

I used to think Colhands was Benji but didn't Bran see him in Dance? Even if he was deformed i think Bran would have recognized his uncle

Maester Conspiracy? D you mean that they have been hiding magic or trying to eliminate it? I think we will probably learn more about this in winds of winter and it is likely

Red Viper planned to die? I'm not familiar with this one. I felt he planned to win but if he died and achieved his goal he would be okay.

I NEED ANOTHER BOOK
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    most of the details of these books escape me ... brutal ...

i just want to see arya reunite with her wolf and go on a tear of epic proportions ... haha
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Another books would be great!

The Maester Conspiracy that I saw was they were tired of of the Targs ruling, and they had a hand with the houses forming marriages across the realm. Eddard and Catelyn, Robert and Lyanna, etc. Form strong bonds so it was the realm vs the Targs. I don't remember the details but that is what I remember from it.

The Red Viper one was crazy, just that since the Martells were moving too slow to avenge Elia, that if got himself killed it would be two Martells dead at the hands of the Lannisters and his brother may finally do something. The Red Viper was too great of a fighter to lose, unless it was on purpose...

It seems with every book there are more theories and questions then were answered, I just hope if Martin ever finished the series, that there arent a million lose ends.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I think Jon Snow is Targ. All the other secret Targ stuff comes off like lazy speculation. Likely that Snow is also AA.

Frey Pie isn't a theory, IMO. It's a fact.

I think Coldhands is too old to be Benjen and wonder if Benjen won't show up as some sort of bigwig for the Others.

I've read another fairly convincing theory that Oberyn poisoned Tywin, setting up the oppurtunity for Tyrion to kill him. I also think RV was ok with dying once he got revenge, but not sure it was the plan.

Definitely think there are those trying to nullify magic /dragons, from both sides of the sea. The Faceless Men, chief among them.

You can drive yourself crazy with all the theories and speculation that's out there. ASOIAF has definitely been put under a microscope.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    GRRM just posted about how he is planning on writing a bunch more Dunk & Egg novellas, and collect them all in books. It would be nice if he would spend more time finishing books 6 & 7, and then worked on stories form Westeros past.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    frig ... now I know why his parents named him GRR ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    R + L = J
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Jason P wrote: »
    R + L = J
    I saw something about that yesterday. What does it mean?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote: »
    R + L = J
    Theory is that Rheagor Targaryen (spell check isn't working for some reason ...) kidnapped Lyanna Stark (Ed's sister) during Robert's Rebellion and held her captive in a tower. When Ed Stark broke through and found her, she was laying bleeding and dying and said "Promise Me ..."

Suddenly Ed comes back from the war with a bastard child even though that would be totally uncharacteristic of his nature.

Connecting the dots, Lyanna bore Reagor's son, who if Robert found out about, he would have killed. Lyanna, to save her son, made Ed promise to take him and protect him be claiming him to be his own blood.

Thus, Jon Snow may actually be Jon Targaryen and Ed's nephew.

R + L = J
    Theory is that Rheagor Targaryen (spell check isn't working for some reason ...) kidnapped Lyanna Stark (Ed's sister) during Robert's Rebellion and held her captive in a tower. When Ed Stark broke through and found her, she was laying bleeding and dying and said "Promise Me ..."

Suddenly Ed comes back from the war with a bastard child even though that would be totally uncharacteristic of his nature.

Connecting the dots, Lyanna bore Reagor's son, who if Robert found out about, he would have killed. Lyanna, to save her son, made Ed promise to take him and protect him be claiming him to be his own blood.

Holy shit.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jason P wrote: »
    R + L = J

Whoa there! I thought Lyanna went with Rhaegar, didnt he give her the rose at the tourney instead of his wife? Then they ran away together. I think Robert is the only person that said bad things about Rhaegar, and that is because Lyanna picked Rhaegar over Robert. And if he just kidnapped her why would he put his best men to guard her, instead of his children? Just seems odd that he would value a kidnapped person and a bastard kid more than his own kids that would have a claim for the throne unless there was something more between him and Lyanna. I guess the only person still alive that knows the answer is Howland Reed.
  • Came across this article today, found it interesting (only just read all the books, haven't watched the show yet). It's maybe a bit spoilery...maybe, lol.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/02/06/george-r-r-martins-original-plan-for-game-of-thrones-revealed
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    I think it is funny that the "Frey Pie" theory flew way over my head when reading the books. I thought Manderly was doing a mass suicide and he was so happy cause he was taking out Boltons and Freys. Turns out it was just some good pie.
    Finally finished book 5. Now what?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin said:

Finally finished book 5. Now what?

Wait, then wait some more...
    Interesting. I think he is reborn as Azor Ahai
    April is to far away. I was hearing that GOT was going to be pushed back to the end of May.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    George RR Martin is Robert Jordan.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.