Options

How to listen to FLAC (HD) files?

davidosdavidos Posts: 467
I listen mainly on iPad/iPhone and have a USB stick for my car... How do people listen to FLAC files? Does everyone convert them? If so, then what is the whole point of FLAC? Can you tell the difference?

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,697
    Why not buy Alac & Alac-HD files so you won't have to convert your Flac files.
    http://livedownloads.com/live-music/3,321/Pearl-Jam-mp3-flac-downloads.html

ALAC = Apple Lossless Audio Codec. True CD Quality Lossless Files, similar to FLAC.
    ALAC plays in iTunes and your iPod, iPhone, or iPad!
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    VLC player app for iOS devices and for PC/Mac platforms as well. It's the best.

:-bd
  • Options
    As for Alac-HD ..

Higher than CD quality 24 bit audio, playable in iTunes and AirPlay / AppleTV.

I play my Flac-HD files on my PC via WinAmp & VLC Player. Also play them through my Playstion 3 Media Server.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    I stream FLAC files from my computer to my stereo system using Squeezebox. I don't have use CD player anymore, everything is on my computer. So lossless is huge for me because I invested a lot in my speakers/tuner. When something goes on my phone, tablet, etc., then it gets converted to MP3 through DBPoweramp.

If you are listening with something size constrained like an ipad and/or using mid level or below headphones, then you will not hear a difference between mp3 and FLAC. You are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain.

If you ever listen to CD's still, then having FLAC is teh way to go too. You would burn the FLAC to a CD and it is totally lossless and as perfect as a .wav.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2014
    I also use DBPoweramp. I listen to everything in ALAC.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    You are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain.

Ah, a finally, a concise way of saying what I've been trying to say awhile!

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,089
    I have a media box for my TV called a popcorn hour a-400. It does HD flac but I'm not convinced it does 5.1 HD flac because it doesn't sound like much is coming out of the rear speakers when I play the tracks.

I also have an optical cable going from my PC to my home stereo, so I can play them via WinAmp as well.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

I also use DBPoweramp. I listen to everything in ALAC.

I use dBpoweramp Music Converter too. Taking .flac files and encoding them to V0 Extreme, V2 Standard & 320kbps for on the go. Now with the High-Fidelity Pono Music Player release, it's Flac-HD from now on! :)
  • Options
    Zod said:

I also have an optical cable going from my PC to my home stereo, so I can play them via WinAmp as well.

This is a good way to do it too, if your PC is near your stereo. My issue with optical is that most receivers wont play multi zone using digital cables, you have to use analog. I have no idea why this is.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    How can i Burn HD-FLAC to DVD AUDIO?
  • Options
    Can you give some more context? What are you trying to burn that needs to be in a format for a DVD?
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    I use Winamp it's free and it works just fine :)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    cutz said:

How can i Burn HD-FLAC to DVD AUDIO?

I convert to .wav and then use Burn to make a DVD-Audio. I'm on a Mac, and it works well. I don't know of an equivalent PC program for it. I simply select DVDA and drag the .wav files in.

Sounds superb!

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    With flac I typically burn to a cd and listen to the cd when I want good quality. I then rip the cd to iTunes for when I want to listen to mp3.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Can you give some more context? What are you trying to burn that needs to be in a format for a DVD?

24 Bit. I think that's the only type of disc that 24 Bit can be Burned to?

• Options
    In a few months time they will be played on one of these PonoPlayers ..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music

:)

• Options
    Yes, you can use a DVD player to play 24bit FLAC. But you do need special software to burn. If you are comfortable with Bit torrents, you can get Audio DVD Creator free here:
    thepiratebay.se/torrent/4782025/Audio_DVD_Creator_v1.9.1.0___Serial_By_ChattChitto

Or you can buy it for like $50 bucks. It is supposed to work cleanly with 24 bit FLAC. I've not used it myself as I have very little in the way of 24 bit audio.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, you can use a DVD player to play 24bit FLAC. But you do need special software to burn. If you are comfortable with Bit torrents, you can get Audio DVD Creator free here:
    thepiratebay.se/torrent/4782025/Audio_DVD_Creator_v1.9.1.0___Serial_By_ChattChitto

Or you can buy it for like $50 bucks. It is supposed to work cleanly with 24 bit FLAC. I've not used it myself as I have very little in the way of 24 bit audio.

I use ImgBurn. How can i Burn 24 bit to DVD-Audio WITHOUT the GAPS between EVERY song?(I'm trying to Burn concert Bootlegs) I have no problem Burning a DVD to watch but for some reason i can't get the music without the gaps.

Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    Are you sure you are burning 24 bit when using ImgBurn? I thought that dithered it down to 16 bit before burning. You should at least do the free trial of Audio DVD Creator to see if it works for you and if there is a way to remove the gaps.

This program here: cirlinca.com/download.htm (middle one) evidently has a way to burn without gaps. A forum post said, "IF YOU DO NOT WANT GAPS BETWEEN TRACKS :
    Optimize for gapless inter-track – Check this option if you want gapless transitions between tracks. Please be advised that there will be a gap every 20 still pictures when the DVD-Audio player pre-loads the still pictures. If you do not want any gaps at all, turn off Still Pictures, see Still Pictures Configuration"
  • Options
    demetrios said:

As for Alac-HD ..

I play my Flac-HD files on my PC via WinAmp & VLC Player. Also play them through my Playstion 3 Media Server.

CAn you play ALAC-HD on iPhone?
  • Options
    From what I understand, Iphone won't output in 24 bit. Remember though, unless you have a high end set of headphones, you will never hear the difference between 24 and 16. In fact, I would be shocked if you could hear the difference between an apple lossless and a decent kbs mp3.
  • Options
    BK5403BK5403 Posts: 50
    I use XLD (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder) to convert FLAC files for listening in iTunes or on my iPhone. I happen to convert to AIFF, but AIFF files are totally uncompressed and take up space. You can set up iTunes so that when it syncs, the big AIFF files are "down converted" (there's a few choices, e.g. 256, etc.). This will ensure it takes up less space on the iPhone which can't output great quality anyway and yet still lets you listen to the uncompressed files when you're using iTunes with a better stereo system at home. Another option when using XLD is to convert from FLAC to another, smaller format (as some have mentioned above). ALAC for the iPhone is a good choice.

Make sense?
    96 Hartford | 98 MSG 1 & 2 | 00 Jones Beach | 03 MSG 1 & 2 | 06 Irving Plaza | 06 Camden | 06 E. Rutherford | 08 MSG 1 & 2 | 10 MSG 1 & 2 | 11 EV/Portland | 13 Wrigley | 13 Brooklyn 1 & 2 | 13 Hartford | 13 Portland | 13 Seattle | 14 Stockholm | 17 EV/Tennessee | 18 Missoula
  • Options
    BK5403 said:

I use XLD (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder) to convert FLAC files for listening in iTunes or on my iPhone. I happen to convert to AIFF, but AIFF files are totally uncompressed and take up space. You can set up iTunes so that when it syncs, the big AIFF files are "down converted" (there's a few choices, e.g. 256, etc.). This will ensure it takes up less space on the iPhone which can't output great quality anyway and yet still lets you listen to the uncompressed files when you're using iTunes with a better stereo system at home. Another option when using XLD is to convert from FLAC to another, smaller format (as some have mentioned above). ALAC for the iPhone is a good choice.

Make sense?

I think he is specifically asking about how to play ALAC - HD, which is 24 bit. I think your answer is specific to 16bit compressed/lossless files.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies... I bought the Seattle boot in ALAC and can't really tell the difference between the other shows I bought in .mp3. Have some decent headphones coming tomorrow so I can get a better comparison...
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    edited March 2014
    I'm a Winamp fan for FLAC but just went to their site to download it to another PC and see they are in a holding pattern while some changes are being made. damn.

I like VLC for video but I could never get it to play my FLACs properly. I open the first song to an album but I can't get it to play in "continuous" mode. I have to click each song - sure I'm doing something wrong.
  • Options
    davidos said:

demetrios said:

As for Alac-HD ..

CAn you play ALAC-HD on iPhone?
    I don't believe you can play ALAC-HD files on an iPhone.
  • Options
    Here is what I use to listen to flac(everything I own is flac format):

Home stereo system - I stream using logitech media server to my Squeezebox

Computer use - Foobar2000 (free opensource software)

Mobile/Car - everything is uploaded to my Google Music account and then either streamed or downloaded to my devices.(it is all automatic when I add a file to my computer)

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    CJ260717 said:

I'm a Winamp fan for FLAC but just went to their site to download it to another PC and see they are in a holding pattern while some changes are being made. damn.

I like VLC for video but I could never get it to play my FLACs properly. I open the first song to an album but I can't get it to play in "continuous" mode. I have to click each song - sure I'm doing something wrong.

I have had that problem using vlc. I believe if you use the in app menu and select the folder to open it will play the entire contents, it has been awhile since I used it. I am mostly portable nowadays and my Samsung galaxy plays flac natively. Not the best output but drag and drop is always a plus.
  • Options
    supernaut1125supernaut1125 Denver, CO Posts: 255

CJ260717 said:

I have had that problem using vlc. I believe if you use the in app menu and select the folder to open it will play the entire contents, it has been awhile since I used it. I am mostly portable nowadays and my Samsung galaxy plays flac natively. Not the best output but drag and drop is always a plus.
    Best way to listen to music on VLC is to open a playlist and basically makes it a music player. If that makes any sense.