Software developers, programmers, coders

I am a year away from finishing my undergrad in business studies, CIT software development. I was hoping someone here worked in one of these fields and had some advice. I see a lot of high paying jobs posted online but don't know anyone who does these things. Any suggestions for a 31 year old up and comer in these fields?

Wind this thing up.

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I'm a COBOL programmer...maybe you've heard of it. At 31, I guess it's possible you may not have. I don't think COBOL is taught anymore.

As far as suggestions, I'll give it some thought. I've been at my current place for 15 years. I've been out of the game for awhile.

Are these positions that you are looking at near where you live? Do you plan on moving or do you want to stay put? Some of the high paying positions may be high paying because of where they are.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    edited March 2014
    double post
    Post edited by Empty Glass on
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
    edited March 2014
    I live in NH, just more than an hour away from Boston. Those high pay jobs are mostly in Massachusetts but there are still quite a few high paying jobs in NH as well. Either way its commute for more money and more opportunities or stay local with less opportunities and less pay. I hadn't heard of COBOL before, where is this applied? I hope to spend the next 10 years either progressing in one company or a few but I think I am already a little behind.
    Post edited by oysterjar on

Wind this thing up.

COBOL is an old mainframe programming language. I'm young, 39, and know it. I'm in a good position. It's not taught in school and most COBOL programmers are retiring. It's way too expensive for my company to go all web based.

Knowing my personality, I'd take a local job and get my foot in the door. Then once I see what is going on, I could branch out to the big city if need be. I'm not saying that's the right way, just how I'd do it. I could see me getting fed up with the daiy commute and just being pissed all the time...not enjoying work.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

That is a good position to be in. I wonder how willing companies are to hire someone with no knowledge (I know this can vary) versus someone with experience? I would be willing to get my foot in the door with an entry level position and learn what I can. I am not too excited with a commute either. I live in the woods for a reason, but if its a 40k difference in pay to start I will take it. Do you ever look outside your company to see what is out there, what fields are growing?

Is there any place you know where you can go learn some of these things online? I found this website http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp and it looks decent. I am looking to get some experience under my belt in the next year so I can talk about things openly with some intelligence.

Wind this thing up.

We go thru phases of bringing new "fresh" people in all the time. This career is a roller coaster ride. Lots of up and downs on workload. When things are slow, bring in new people. Has to be the same everywhere.

Once you are in, make friends with the guy whose been there forever. They'll have the tricks of the trade and will know what is going on in the company.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Thanks for the advice. Do you see yourself working there forever? Ever thought of leaving to pursue programming some where else?

Wind this thing up.

I'm set here, unless I'm forced out. We have a daycare center on site and after 7 years of that, I have 15 years in. Really have no reason to leave.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

That's awesome. I ask because one of my professors changed jobs a lot over 30 years to gain the next level position. Of course times were a little different for computing in the early 80's. Thanks a lot for talking about it. If you think of anything else let me know.

Wind this thing up.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    could one of you guys please contact the 10C to fix THIS abortion? Thanks in advance.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

could one of you guys please contact the 10C to fix THIS abortion? Thanks in advance.

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead