Newly Designed Poster

rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Ok, as some of you already know, I'm an artist and would love to design posters for Pearl Jam one day. I designed a new one last night and here it is:

http://www.rawpixels.com/gotham.jpg

Previous one:
http://www.rawpixels.com/fishing.jpg

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Bill
One man stands alone awaiting
for her to come home
eyes upon the horizon
in the dark before the
darkness leaves the dawn
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    rawpixels wrote:
    Ok, as some of you already know, I'm an artist and would love to design posters for Pearl Jam one day. I designed a new one last night and here it is:

http://www.rawpixels.com/gotham.jpg

Previous one:
    http://www.rawpixels.com/fishing.jpg

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Bill

Fairly cool bill, I prefer the previous one, meself :D
    I need a coffee!
  • rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    Irish Al wrote:
    Fairly cool bill, I prefer the previous one, meself :D

Hey, everyone has their favorites. :) Oh, where in Ireland are you? My mom comes from County Mayo.
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    rawpixels wrote:
    Hey, everyone has their favorites. :) Oh, where in Ireland are you? My mom comes from County Mayo.

I'm from County Louth.....far side of the country :D

You coming to the Dublin gig??
    I need a coffee!
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    i like the blue one too !
    is there meaning to the fish n tv ??
    andif u havent u should really post this on "the art wall" i know traffic is a lil slow on there but its full of good ppl , dont be suprised if this gets move ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    they don't do it for me, just the overall design. they look like something from a children's book. maybe if it wasn't for a pj poster they wouldn't be bad.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    inmyrvm wrote:
    they don't do it for me, just the overall design. they look like something from a children's book. maybe if it wasn't for a pj poster they wouldn't be bad.

A lot of PJ posters look "childish" as far as the illustration style.
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    Too many colors...something with the band and keeping the coloring to two colors...maybe three. Not sure what this means but three color posters are much rare'er and fetch a lot more dough! They look pretty sweet though
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • way to clean and dull for a pj poster, needs more grit

Randall's Island 96----NJ 1 '06
    14 shows and counting
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    I would forget the black bar with the bands name and work the name into the overall background design.

But I really like the overall look of the poster.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • manic mindmanic mind Posts: 84
    way to clean and dull for a pj poster, needs more grit

i don't know about that. If you're talking about the $5 poster you pick up at the shows, I'd say these would fit in pretty well. The wave poster and the avocado posters are pretty clean and simple yet cool looking to me. Keep working at it. They're not bad. For the record, I do like the fish one better.
    Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!
  • SmallTownSmallTown Posts: 152
    I would forget the black bar with the bands name and work the name into the overall background design.

But I really like the overall look of the poster.

I agree. Good stuff though Bill...keep it up!
    10-08-00 Ice Bowl
    06-21-03 Alpine
    09-09-05 Thunder Bay
    05-17-06 Chicago
    06-26-06 St. Paul
    07-22-06 The Gorge
    07-23-06 The Gorge
    05-07-10 Noblesville
    09-03-11 PJ20
    09-04-11 PJ20
    09-21-12 Pensicola
    09-22-12 Atlanta
  • I think part of my issue with these is that they are so flat. Rendered. Very Adobe Illustrator-ish. You know? I need to see them on paper, in ink, to better judge. As designs, they're not terrible. Very basic, clean.
    I agree that the black band breaks that one image up a bit too much. And I'm not thrilled with the colors in it. Reminds me too much of sherbert. Or Easter.
    I like the blues of the fish one. The gradients on it, however, are perhaps not subtle enough. They work, they could just be...less defined I guess.
    It's been a while since I've given a real art crique, so I apologize for my lack of technical words/phrases :) (Yes, that's right, sherbert is not a technical term!)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    i bet you could have a contest/quiz where you take 10 real PJ posters and 10 'fake' posters and show them to the man on the street and ask them to guess which are real and which are fake, and the person would have no idea
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    not bad at all, very cool color schemes

I agree about the black band

they are kind of "soft" graphics (for lack of a better word)
    They need some "edges"

By the way Ames is looking for artists

amesbros.com

"help wanted"