Make every day count.

It's such a major cliche but like they say, cliches are cliches because they are so true. I'm finding this one to be very pertinent as I just found out my brother-in-law now only has a few days left on this earth. We were hoping for maybe six months but that is not to be.

The story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye. The story of love is hello and goodbye. Until we meet again. - Jimi Hendrix
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Yes, so true. I find myself counting the days instead of making them count.

Be strong, brother.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2014
    Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated.
    Lamartine

Love burns across the infinitude.

I'm sorry about your brother in law, Brianlux.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'm really sorry, Brian. Good thoughts from here.
  • Brian,

Sorry to hear. All the best to you and your family.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Brian, so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    ELITIST FUK
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,638
    Thanks so much for your heartfelt thoughts everyone. Celia and I appreciate them very much.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• i am so sorry to hear this, my friend.

i know that there is really nothing that i can say or do to help. just know that you and your family are in my thoughts in this sad time.

the lesson is true. make each day count. thank you for posting that, because that simple sentence is something that i have been needing to read. maybe it will sink in this time.

cherish the time you have left with your brother in law.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

i am so sorry to hear this, my friend.

i know that there is really nothing that i can say or do to help. just know that you and your family are in my thoughts in this sad time.

the lesson is true. make each day count. thank you for posting that, because that simple sentence is something that i have been needing to read. maybe it will sink in this time.

cherish the time you have left with your brother in law.

Will do for sure. Thank you my friend.

• I'm sorry to hear this also Brian. My thoughts are with your family.

I've seen quite a few things recently that reminded me to live everyday to the fullest and to feel lucky to be alive.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    This morning my brother-in-law Phinehas passed away quietly under hospice care. Friends and family have shown great support. One friend showed up near the end and read Phinehas lyrics from The Doors. At his request, another friend build him a small wooden box to hold his ashes. Friends and family will set the box adrift at sea and on it, also at Phinhas' request, are etched these words: "Return to sender, address unknown." Phinehas had a great sense of humor. He was a good and brilliant man and a fine brother.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and good thoughts.

• I'm sorry for your loss Brian. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I love what he had carved into the box.

I'm sorry for your loss Brian. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I love what he had carved into the box.

Hey, thanks man. Yeah that inscription is really cool. Knowing how to live well and die well- now that's class.

• Amen brother....

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Your brother-in-law sounds like an awesome and unique person. I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    ELITIST FUK
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    So sorry, Brian.
  • God rest his soul,
    as my people say.
    Honour his memory +
    celebrate his life.
    I am very sorry for your loss Brian.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Try to find some joy in your days, Brian.

And as to the title of your thread, Pink Floyd's 'Time' sure comes to mind: ticking away the moments that make up the dull day...
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianlux said:

This morning my brother-in-law Phinehas passed away quietly under hospice care. Friends and family have shown great support. One friend showed up near the end and read Phinehas lyrics from The Doors. At his request, another friend build him a small wooden box to hold his ashes. Friends and family will set the box adrift at sea and on it, also at Phinhas' request, are etched these words: "Return to sender, address unknown." Phinehas had a great sense of humor. He was a good and brilliant man and a fine brother.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and good thoughts.

What a nice send-off. I got goosebumps...
    I'm sorry for your families loss Brian.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    indeed a nice send-off

sorry about your friend

did you see me? i saw you.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    indeed a nice send-off

sorry about your friend

did you see me? i saw you.
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Posts: 2,144
    So sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. Celebrate the time you had together.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Sorry too, you have my condolences
  • Very sorry for you & your family's loss.
    Coming from an occupation( NYC fireman) that has seen life & death situations everyday, making everyday count has been a way of life for pretty much my last 23 years.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    Thanks for kind words everybody. Looking forward to a weekend of pretty much zoning, letting things sink in and definitely carrying on with life. I'm pretty sure Phin would be ok with me saying, "Carpe diem!" Peace everybody.

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Sorry for your loss...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    It's now been 12 years since my Fiance has passed, lately i've been using his old satin pillow cases and for some reason i keep dreaming we're back at the circus again without pain..
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Very, very true, and I'm so sorry. A lot of the time we come to these realizations after tragedy, I was hit with this lesson after my father died unexpectedly.

"No time to be void, or save up on life, you gotta spend it all."
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    JWPearl said:

It's now been 12 years since my Fiance has passed, lately i've been using his old satin pillow cases and for some reason i keep dreaming we're back at the circus again without pain..

I'm sorry you had to experience that kind of pain. It sounds like you found a way to keep him close through the years. Best wishes for you.

• Sorry for your loss, Brianlux.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hang in there
    & be strong
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce