Household appliances

Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
edited February 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
We are renting a place right now. It's a nice apartment in a older style farmhouse with lots of room for the kitty and lots of windows. All nice :) Our stove was provided by the landlord. I loved it right away when I saw it cause it's a big chunky American stove like from the early 80s. I'm from Germany, and to me, it looks like from the movies ...

The problem with that lovely stove is though that only two cooking plates work, and not the big ones. I mainly use the front left one. For everything. Baking in the oven is alright, but it's a hit and miss and I had to learn how to handle the different levels on the inside. But I did.
We do have a microwave, which I could live without, but is practical. We have a coffee machine, which I couldn't live without. A juicer ... New, love it. That's it for the kitchen. My dishwasher is Cav. He does a pretty good job.

As for the laundry, I felt major disappointment when I moved to the States. What the heck are you people up to with your washing machines? They look like from the 1930's! I kind of got used to that, but I miss my high-efficiency washing machine from Germany a bit ... And the dryer works with gas. Ugh. Always has me nervous. But because the weather doesn't really allow hangng the laundry outside, I'll go with it.

Other than that, there's really no household appliance here that I could think of. what I would love is a dishwasher. For the glasses. And I would love a fully functioning stove.

What's the household appliances you cannot live without?

Post edited by Leezestarr313 on

Comments

• I can't live without my stove I do a ton of baking (including bread), canning and love cooking in general. I don't think I could live without my washing machine either just so much faster, but that's about it.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    My fridge/freezer is definitely my most appreciated appliance! I love very cold, refreshing drinks more than anything, so always have plenty of delicious cold liquids and tons and tons of ice cubes on standby (I have a serious pet peeve about finding no ice and empty ice cube trays in people's freezers, lol). If I had to only consume ice cold beverages for the rest of my life as food, I wouldn't be overly upset about it, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Except for the toaster, all of our appliances were purchased in 1991 when I moved into this place.

All are still going strong and once they need to be replaced, I know I'll never encounter that again (teary-face).

And...the dishwasher has never worked! I painted the outside of it in a cool bronze-y color and haven't touched that motherfucker since.

I'd say the fridge and stovetop/oven are my beloveds.

(PJ_Soul - you'd find full ice-cube trays in our freezer, but beware! The ice is about six months old :D )
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i think i appreciate the refrigerator and the washer and dryer the most. i never use my dishwasher.

did you see me? i saw you.
  • I love my stove….but it's terribly efficient. If I don't pay close attention to what I'm cooking, everything burns!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    gotta be the fridge. we bought all new appliances when we moved in a few months ago.

regarding the dishwasher...i could live without it. i actually prefer to wash the dishes myself. i feel like people are lazy with dishwashers. they just throw dishes and silverware in there without running it. they want to wait until it gets full, and i get that from a conserving water/energy standpoint. but then as a few days go bye the silverware just tends to dwindle until the load is ran.

i'd rather wash everything right after i eat and be done with it.
    www.myspace.com
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited February 2014
    You got a point there, Juggler :)

shortstack, I love that advertisement! I'd love to get myself an older stove, like from the 40's or 50's. They look amazing, and I heard they are working nicely once you get used to them. Also, they seem to be more durable than the modern stuff. It's gotta fit stylewise with the rest of the kitchen though... And I'm baking a lot, it would probably take some time to find out how to handle it properly.

Given to nap - that happened to me a lot too when I first moved here. We have an electric stove with those weird spirals. It's crazy how fast they heat up, and start to glow! Somehow I'd love a gas stove, but an electric oven. Baking with gas is a pita...
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912

i think i appreciate the refrigerator and the washer and dryer the most. i never use my dishwasher.

this is totally how a woman should dress for housework!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    imalive said:

this is totally how a woman should dress for housework!

Men too!

(and with that Stepford smile, dammit)

• Can opener. For beer.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Can opener. For beer.

Aren't you fancy :p I just use the edge of the table or counter works like a hot damn, and for those remote beer drinking excursions a lighter.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Can opener. For beer.

Aren't you fancy :p I just use the edge of the table or counter works like a hot damn, and for those remote beer drinking excursions a lighter.
    Nice. I was never good at that stuff. I have a friend who has gimmicky flip flops with a can opener on the bottom. Yeah, cause thats what I want, the bottom of your dirty shoe all over the place where im about to put my mouth.

Dragon of the North, please tell me you dont use your teeth to open beers though -- that drives me batty. :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Of course I don't use my teeth that's just barbaric!
    To be fair most of the above happens outside because no one can find the f***in bottle opener.
    Also that shoe thing is disgusting, I mean really.

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    I waded into this thread for Mamasan23's reply, which I assumed would be Bob.

But Mama went off and left us; she wanted more from life than we could give. :((
    I SAW PEARL JAM