Whiskey anyone????

wasa1971wasa1971 Posts: 2,144
edited February 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
I want buy a bottle of whiskey for a friend who is turning 50, he's a connoisseur you could say. I have no clue on this subject, but want to get him something special. I'm willing to spend about $100, I'm hoping that will get a nice bottle? Any suggestions before heading to the liquor store would be appreciated.
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    edited February 2014
    Jameson gold reserve
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Woodford reserve is excellent, and above your typical Jack.
  • SLahrSLahr Posts: 5
    MADE IN AMERICA I was just watching the documetary on MADE IN AMERICA and thought hey what about my PEARL JAM T SHIRT WHERE WAS IT MADE HENCHO IN MEXICO !!! SO HOW ABOUT PEARL JAM HAVING THEIR T SHIRTS MADE HERE
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Posts: 2,144
    Re posting in AET.........duh
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    SLahr said:

MADE IN AMERICA I was just watching the documetary on MADE IN AMERICA and thought hey what about my PEARL JAM T SHIRT WHERE WAS IT MADE HENCHO IN MEXICO !!! SO HOW ABOUT PEARL JAM HAVING THEIR T SHIRTS MADE HERE

Did you try the whiskey?

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited February 2014
    NO QUESTION:: The Macallan 25 Year Old Single Malt Scotch, if the 25 is to expensive get the 14 Year Old.

18 year old Highland Park Single Malt Scotch is also very good.

18 year old Jameson Reserve also very good for Irish Whiskey

I agree with KD109226. Woodford Reserve is very good for a bourbon. I would try any of the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection.

Crown Royal Cask No. 16 if you want a Canadian Whiskey.

and being from Tennessee. I am very fond of the Single Barrel Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Have bottles of Macallan 21 yo and below... unfortunately the 25 is crazy expensive here in canada. I like the Oban for a scotch. Basil hayden for a bourbon, any jameson, JW Gold and Black for a blend. all should be well below your $100 price point.

Costco has some really good value. I have their Woodford and Macallan 15YO. Love shopping at Costco for a bottle when visiting my Bro in WA!

As a whisky fan... any addition to the bar would be appreciated im sure.
    MedozK said:

NO QUESTION:: The Macallan 25 Year Old Single Malt Scotch, if the 25 is to expensive get the 14 Year Old.

I agree with KD109226. Woodford Reserve is very good for a bourbon. I would try any of the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection.

and being from Tennessee. I am very fond of the Single Barrel Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey.

IF NOTHING IS EVERYTHING, I'LL HAVE IT ALL.

Vancouver 2003
    EV Vancouver 2008
    Winnipeg & Saskatoon 2011
    Wrigley July 2013
    Vancouver & Seattle 2013
    Tulsa, Lincoln & St. Paul 2014
    Mexico City 2015
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Wrigley 1 & 2 2016
    Seattle TOTD 1 & 2 2016 
    London 1, Cancelled / Boarderline, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2 2018
    Ohana 2019 
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    wasa1971 said:

I want buy a bottle of whiskey for a friend who is turning 50, he's a connoisseur you could say. I have no clue on this subject, but want to get him something special. I'm willing to spend about $100, I'm hoping that will get a nice bottle? Any suggestions before heading to the liquor store would be appreciated.

This is from the brother-in-law's xmas list. Should run you $75-90. I think I settled on the Oban for him.
    Oban 14 year
    Lagavulin Scotch 16 Year
    Macallan 15 year

• im a manager at a virginia state store...there is a lot out there now almost over done..like craft beer..some of my favs

Glenmorangie- Scottish whisky
    Redbreast - Irish
    Crown royal XR- Canadian
    Woodford reserve bourbon
    Wasmounds - VA whiskey
    Yamazaki - Japansese

• ZodZod Posts: 10,520
    Macallan 15 is my favorite bottle under 100 bux in the US (costs $150 here in BC so I only buy it when I'm in the US).
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759

Have bottles of Macallan 21 yo and below... unfortunately the 25 is crazy expensive here in canada. I like the Oban for a scotch. Basil hayden for a bourbon, any jameson, JW Gold and Black for a blend. all should be well below your $100 price point.

Costco has some really good value. I have their Woodford and Macallan 15YO. Love shopping at Costco for a bottle when visiting my Bro in WA!

As a whisky fan... any addition to the bar would be appreciated im sure.

MedozK said:

for the price point you're talking about, gotta agree with the others and tell you the 14 yr Oban is the best bang for your buck.

I'm partial to single malts, don't drink blends, and have recently gotten into bourbons.

As others have said the Woodford Reserve is a great Bourbon Whiskey, and a good drink to start your bourbon venture on if you're a single malt drinker. and it's a much cheaper price point than most single malts.

I can talk all day about whiskey... if you actually want more advice, PM me.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Thanks for all the info, I'm off to the US this morning, I should probably get more bang for my buck there! I'm waiting to hear back if it's scotch he likes, I didn't know it was any different.....
  • KD109226 said:

Woodford reserve is excellent, and above your typical Jack.

I agree
    wasa1971 said:

Thanks for all the info, I'm off to the US this morning, I should probably get more bang for my buck there! I'm waiting to hear back if it's scotch he likes, I didn't know it was any different.....

FYI - depending on where you're going, it might actually be cheaper (and have better selection) to purchase in a liquor store than duty free (assuming you have time).

If you're in Texas (if you're traveling to the US for business and you live in calgary this is highly likely), it is actually cheaper to buy booze at spec's than at the duty free in george bush airport anyway...

This I can confirm from experience.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Woodford Reserve bourbon. Very, very good choice.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,520
    edited February 2014
    Woodford Reserve is pretty tasty Whiskey and much cheaper than some of the Scotches were are talking about.

I prefer the 15yr Macallan to the 14yr Oban but that's just me (I do have both in the cabinet :)). I've never tried the 21yr Macallan. The cheapest I saw one of those was $138 when I was in Oregon last summer. Seems a bit steep.

I do like Macallan Cask Strength as well (but you definitely need to add some water/ice to that one :).

Edit: There was another Macallan I found when I was in Scotland called Macallan Director's Edition. It''s the one that got me into Whisky. I was told you couldn't buy it outside Scotland (in 2011), then I was in a Costco in Marysville, WA (coming back from the December Pearl Jam show in Seattle) and they were selling it for $73/bottle.... mmmMMmmm.

Double Edit: I don't care much for the new Macallan's (Gold and Amber). I prefer the 12 to Gold, and the 15 to Amber. Amber is ok but I'd rather be drinking the 15. The Gold burns a bit going down, don't think I'll buy another bottle.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    Fantastic graphic about bourbon - I tried the Weller since it was in the Pappy lineage and it was pretty great (at $25 as well):
    http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,986
    I have only had Crown XR, so how do these others compare?
    I'd love to add to my selection but dont have any idea where to start.
    All I know is we tried my buddies Pendelton against my Crown XR in a blind taste test and it was clearly evident then that there is a huge difference.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Nice thread ;)
    Zod said:

Woodford Reserve is pretty tasty Whiskey and much cheaper than some of the Scotches were are talking about.

I prefer the 15yr Macallan to the 14yr Oban but that's just me (I do have both in the cabinet :)). I've never tried the 21yr Macallan. The cheapest I saw one of those was $138 when I was in Oregon last summer. Seems a bit steep.

I do like Macallan Cask Strength as well (but you definitely need to add some water/ice to that one :).

Edit: There was another Macallan I found when I was in Scotland called Macallan Director's Edition. It''s the one that got me into Whisky. I was told you couldn't buy it outside Scotland (in 2011), then I was in a Costco in Marysville, WA (coming back from the December Pearl Jam show in Seattle) and they were selling it for $73/bottle.... mmmMMmmm.

Double Edit: I don't care much for the new Macallan's (Gold and Amber). I prefer the 12 to Gold, and the 15 to Amber. Amber is ok but I'd rather be drinking the 15. The Gold burns a bit going down, don't think I'll buy another bottle.

Macallan, and most of the major scottish whiskey players, make a whole bunch of special vintages that never make it to this side of the pond. Most of them actually don't even make it out of scotland, let alone the UK. If you're overseas travelling in Europe, you will find quite a good whiskey selection (that normally doesn't make it outside the UK) in Charles de Galle airport in Paris, and Schipol airport in Amsterdam.... that being said, none of it is remotely "cheap" despite being "duty free".

My favorite that i always buy when I'm in the UK, or one of those airports is the "Distillmaker's Edition". for this series the distilleries take one of their flagship whiskies and place it in Oak barrels previously used to cherry (the wine) for 2 years... thus far I've had the Lagavulin and the Oban, and I have a bottle of the Talisker in my closet waiting to be opened... none of them are cheap - around 150 Euro a bottle i've paid for each.

... however, I'm not a fan of the cask strength Macallan - I'd rather have the elegencia (12 yr) if you're offering me something from their portfolio on the low end ;)

My personal other favorite (besides the Oban and in the same price range) is the 10 yr Talisker. Smoky as all fucking hell, but I enjoy it.

haven't had Crown XR yet... but have a bottle of the Crown Special reserve to open in the near future.... can't wait to try.... however I was sorely disappointed with the crown "maple"... tasted like a mix of rye whiskey and dark rum.... while these are two of my favorite liquors, this liquor I am not a fan of... can't wait for it to be gone so I can open the special reserve.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    Black Velvet.....and you'll still have 90 bucks left over :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • derbydavederbydave Posts: 11,254
    shep said:

Zod said:

Macallan, and most of the major scottish whiskey players, make a whole bunch of special vintages that never make it to this side of the pond. Most of them actually don't even make it out of scotland, let alone the UK. If you're overseas travelling in Europe, you will find quite a good whiskey selection (that normally doesn't make it outside the UK) in Charles de Galle airport in Paris, and Schipol airport in Amsterdam.... that being said, none of it is remotely "cheap" despite being "duty free".

My favorite that i always buy when I'm in the UK, or one of those airports is the "Distillmaker's Edition". for this series the distilleries take one of their flagship whiskies and place it in Oak barrels previously used to cherry (the wine) for 2 years... thus far I've had the Lagavulin and the Oban, and I have a bottle of the Talisker in my closet waiting to be opened... none of them are cheap - around 150 Euro a bottle i've paid for each.

... however, I'm not a fan of the cask strength Macallan - I'd rather have the elegencia (12 yr) if you're offering me something from their portfolio on the low end ;)

My personal other favorite (besides the Oban and in the same price range) is the 10 yr Talisker. Smoky as all fucking hell, but I enjoy it.

haven't had Crown XR yet... but have a bottle of the Crown Special reserve to open in the near future.... can't wait to try.... however I was sorely disappointed with the crown "maple"... tasted like a mix of rye whiskey and dark rum.... while these are two of my favorite liquors, this liquor I am not a fan of... can't wait for it to be gone so I can open the special reserve.
    I LIKE your style SHEP!!
    My #1 scotch is Lagavulin BUT,
    This Talisker Distillers Edition is closing in FAST!!!

AND if you enjoy the smoky & peaty flavors...
    You need to try Compass Box Whisky Company's
    PEAT MONSTER...it's a blended malt scotch,
    but it's the most INTENSE & SMOKY scotch I've ever had!!
    CHEERS
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

Ok, so I found this store called Total Wine and More in Palm Springs, I have never been in a place with so many choices! I ended up purchasing a bottle of Woodford Reserve Master's Classic Malt. Thanks again for all the info!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    wasa1971 said:

Ok, so I found this store called Total Wine and More in Palm Springs, I have never been in a place with so many choices! I ended up purchasing a bottle of Woodford Reserve Master's Classic Malt. Thanks again for all the info!

oh, yeaah.....they're like a Home Depot of booze. I love how they offer shots like Costco offers cheese cubes

:))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

wasa1971 said:

oh, yeaah.....they're like a Home Depot of booze. I love how they offer shots like Costco offers cheese cubes

:))
    I actually think the shot "section" was my favorite part of the store. I picked up a bunch for the gift baskets I do. I will keep a few for me too, great for on the chair lift at -20.

wasa1971 said:

I haven't had the pleasure of trying that particular woodford reserve... let us know what your friend thinks!

after woodford exploded all over both the whiskey and bourbon scene's and won all kinds of awards, they started making all kinds of special reserves and other vintages... unfortunately haven't had the chance to try any of them yet, but being that a lot of them are in the $40-60 price point, I'll get there soon.

:D