GoFundMe?

Has anyone ever tried this? I'm trying to raise some money to help me Thru-hike the Appalachian Trail within the next 2-3 years. I still feel really weird/guilty about asking for money for personal gain but the kindness of friends and strangers alike always astounds me so I figured I'd give it a shot. If this thing has even the smallest success (which in mind mind, already has), I plan to pay it forward big time in some way or another. Anyway, if you're interested, here's my page: http://www.gofundme.com/6qez3k
Mods, if this is against the rules, please remove and my apologies.
A friendly bump every once in a while would be awesome too.
And I'm still interested to hear if anyone else has ever had success with these crowd-funding type endeavors.
Cheers!
We were but stones your light made us stars

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    a better idea, in my opinion exists. i think this is impersonal, and unlikely to truly motivate you. find a local group that helps your community and do it with their help. Stir talk in the community, train in town with your gear, get out there and raise money and then give at least half to your local "charity" and everyone wins. This would also put pressure on you to follow through, to keep hiking through six months of being wet, tired, and sore.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Great idea rgambs! I will do some digging and try and get creative. Thanks for posting!
  • LosientoLosiento Posts: 282
    edited February 2014
    I tried to get funds for an emergency move. I initially really wanted to receive funds for small green business and give back to community. I just been a slight bit busy lately to post my business plan.
    Post edited by Losiento on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    A PJ loving man-child could seriously use your help at gofundme to make my dreams come true ..

And I want the girl too so don't be a cheap bastard. Thanks in advance!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Jason $-)

To the OP, from the posts I've seen of yours (and checking out the linked page), you seem like a pretty decent and humble fellow.

For me, I'd rather donate where a need - vs. want - is involved. Surely over the course of two or three years, you could earn/set aside enough to fund this on your own? Or maybe connect in other ways (which I guess you already are)?

Hope my post doesn't offend; it's not at all intended as such. I hope you can fulfill your dream!
  • hedonist, no offense whatsoever. I'm surely saving on my own, and I agree it's certainly better to donate to those in need. I just figured, what the hell, may as well give it a shot. I plan to donate a percentage of any contributions to charity, I just havent narrowed down those details yet...which I probably should and make clear on my link. Anyways, thanks for looking and for the well wishes
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Jason P said:

A PJ loving man-child could seriously use your help at gofundme to make my dreams come true ..

And I want the girl too so don't be a cheap bastard. Thanks in advance!

Link?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    one thing is for certain
    it is a son of bitch to save money
    you gotta have money first before you can save it
    i am pretty sure most folks are just getting by

good luck to you, sir
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where