9/7/24- Philly, PA
9/9/24- Philly, PA
Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
Post edited by eeriepadave on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,638
    Oh, man, big bummer. Hoffman was way too young and a great talent. Very saddened to hear this.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • jlaustinjlaustin Posts: 2,355
    Just saw this - very sad.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    This is our concern, Dude.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • A very talented actor indeed, and tremendously diverse at that.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3xuoIjxQ_bU
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    this is really saddening. truly one of the best actors in the world. top 3 movies of his:
    almost famous
    before the devil knows your dead
    owning mahowny --very underrated
    www.myspace.com
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    He was a great actor with lots of lots integrity. Wasn't a "movie star". Send his kids to public school. Did workshop at his old High School. Did theatre and supposedly (and ironically) helped many stars through their addiction, since he was clean for 23 years. A great human being, a great actor with a huge huge talent. He didn't go for the Armani suites and red carpet. For him it was all about the performance. Very saddened. We lost one of the great actors of our generation on something so worthless. Unfortunately, if I read the comments of people on regular forums. addiction is stil widely misunderstood and seen as a personal shortcoming instead of a disease....

No words... RIP Philip. I hope that you knew, that whatever demons haunted you, they never measured up to your talents.
  • It still amazes me how powerful heroin is. This guy had every resource in the world at his disposal to kick that habit. I heard an interview on CNN with a heroin addict that is 15 years or so sober. She brought up a great point: heroin users should always carry Naloxone. It's a drug that counter acts heroin overdoses. It's by no means a cure to the problem, but it could save a life and maybe give the user a motivation to quit if it has to be administered.

It still amazes me how powerful heroin is. This guy had every resource in the world at his disposal to kick that habit. I heard an interview on CNN with a heroin addict that is 15 years or so sober. She brought up a great point: heroin users should always carry Naloxone. It's a drug that counter acts heroin overdoses. It's by no means a cure to the problem, but it could save a life and maybe give the user a motivation to quit if it has to be administered.

To be honest, I don't think that an addict would be motivated to stop at all, even with Naloxone in his/her pocket. Like someone stated today in an article I read (also from a former addict): it is not the overdose that kills, but the heroine. "Overdose", as used in the media, make it sound like if you only use so many gram too much it is going to kill you. The fact is, that this drug will kill you at some point no matter what. Your body can only accept that much poison. Besides, I think that the high of an overdose is so extreme that it paralyzes the victim to such an extreme that he/ she will have a hard time to administer any other drug.

Not to disagree with you, but I think the problem lies in the way drug addiction is portrayed (as a personal shortcoming instead of a physiological problem) and handled: instead of an health issue, it is handled as a criminal act.
  • It still amazes me how powerful heroin is. This guy had every resource in the world at his disposal to kick that habit. I heard an interview on CNN with a heroin addict that is 15 years or so sober. She brought up a great point: heroin users should always carry Naloxone. It's a drug that counter acts heroin overdoses. It's by no means a cure to the problem, but it could save a life and maybe give the user a motivation to quit if it has to be administered.

To be honest, I don't think that an addict would be motivated to stop at all, even with Naloxone in his/her pocket. Like someone stated today in an article I read (also from a former addict): it is not the overdose that kills, but the heroine. "Overdose", as used in the media, make it sound like if you only use so many gram too much it is going to kill you. The fact is, that this drug will kill you at some point no matter what. Your body can only accept that much poison. Besides, I think that the high of an overdose is so extreme that it paralyzes the victim to such an extreme that he/ she will have a hard time to administer any other drug.

Not to disagree with you, but I think the problem lies in the way drug addiction is portrayed (as a personal shortcoming instead of a physiological problem) and handled: instead of an health issue, it is handled as a criminal act.
    Yes, I agree. That wouldn't be a cure to the problem. And I didn't point out that somebody would have to be there with the person that is overdosing. Its just an option to make drug use a little "safer" (for lack of a better term).
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Heroin is the fucking devil
  • KatKat Posts: 4,832
    edited February 2014

Yes it is. I lost my brother to a heroin overdose. He was introduced to it while in the military. Very sadly, he had kicked it but tried it again. I wish there was more education about how you give up your life to that drug when you try it. It was offered to me a long time ago but I knew it would make me a slave. Spreading the word...please don't ever try it; it's not worth it.

RIP P.S.H. ...a truly great artist gone too soon.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Man. I'm so sorry, Kat.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited February 2014
    Kat said:

Yes it is. I lost my brother to a heroin overdose. He was introduced to it while in the military. Very sadly, he had kicked it but tried it again. I wish there was more education about how you give up your life to that drug when you try it. It was offered to me a long time ago but I knew it would make me a slave. Spreading the word...please don't ever try it; it's not worth it.

Wow, I am sorry, Kat. So sad. I can't imagine what that feels like with how easily people get hooked. It certainly doesn't help that both mental and addiction help in this country is nonexistent for anyone without a pile of cash, especially since they often go hand in hand. 302ing someone gets them sober and a bed for a little while, crisis centers are good for immediate issues but don't deal with the addiction and NA or other free/cheap rehab is basically a heroin convention for people who aren't yet sober and have no will power.

A high school friend died from an OD a couple weeks ago, had a tough life and I hadn't seen him in about 6 years, but for a while he had his shit together. My brother in law is a whole different story. We are essentially planning the funeral. He has spent 90% of the last 3 months in jail, which is probably the only thing keeping him alive. He doesn't give a fuck about anything, his brain is mush and he is fucked up within 12 hours of getting out of jail. His mom then just sends him right back.

That's what makes PSH so sad. He had the resources to get sober. What a terrible disease.

edited February 2014

It still amazes me how powerful heroin is. This guy had every resource in the world at his disposal to kick that habit. I heard an interview on CNN with a heroin addict that is 15 years or so sober. She brought up a great point: heroin users should always carry Naloxone. It's a drug that counter acts heroin overdoses. It's by no means a cure to the problem, but it could save a life and maybe give the user a motivation to quit if it has to be administered.

Yes, I agree. That wouldn't be a cure to the problem. And I didn't point out that somebody would have to be there with the person that is overdosing. Its just an option to make drug use a little "safer" (for lack of a better term).
    Dear Last-Exit, I wasn't dishing you in anyway, please don't think or feel that. That wasn't my intention at all. I think you raised a point. I think everything helps: good education, a safe environment, a network, counter drugs, but most of all medicalization of the problem (seeing people with addiction as an issue of health hazard to themselves; with both psychological and physiological problems) instead of a criminalization of the problem (perceiving people with addiction as criminals or plain hedonists or people who are weak). Which is until today still the way addicts in the media are often portrayed. I just see more answers in regulating the drug(s) than criminalizing it. Research has shown that drugs, especially strong drugs as heroin, alters the brain activity. What seem complete irrational to the outsider, is rational for the addict; the drugs become the main driving force. It acts on the same brain pattern as our survival mode; meaning that the drugs tricks the brains to believe (and thereby the addict), so to speak, that the drug is needed for the basic survival. That is why addicts don't stop.

I think more education about this - what is drugs, what does it do, why do people use it, why is an overdose more likely during a relapse, what are the latest scientific debates concerning this issue etc. - is needed.

Kat, I am very sorry for your loss and I also want to thank you for sharing this information with us. We sometimes forget the heartache of the people around it. And you're right, gone too soon.

Post edited by fortyshades on
  • They are saying they will digitally recreate Hoffman for some scenes in the next Hunger Games flick.
    I wonder if consent is needed from someone for this sort of thing.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Kat said:

that is awful :(

sorry Kat,

I lost a good friend that i knew for nearly 30 years back around halloween 2013. tragic.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • It never fails to move me
    when board members come together
    in their collective suffering
    to share the burden of pain.
    Which isn't to say I can relate in any way
    to losing a loved 1 to heroin, or any drug.
    It is truly the miracle of tragedy
    to bring others closer together.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Rip
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074

In Massachusetts, that recovery drug is known as NARCAN. Unfortunately, the individual who has overdosed or is in the stages of overdose are not in the right frame of mind to administer it. If someone is in the room with them they could. But, more times that not, there will be no one in the right frame of mind to help anyone, let alone themselves.
    Heroin is just absolutely terrible. So sorry for those who have lost a loved one to this terrible drug.