Perth AU
Feb 2, 2014

Set List:

01. Go
02. Do The Evolution
03. Last Exit
04. Animal
05. Mind Your Manners
06. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)
07. Corduroy
(Ed thanks, “Arcade Fire, our neighbors and Beady Eye and Primus, our flatmates.” He notes that the abbreviation for Washington State is the same for Western Australia, WA. and mentions all the special memories he has of this part of Australia.)

08. Lightning Bolt

(Ed offers a toast and a chance to catch his breath. He starts to list a bunch of small towns in Western Australia. He even offers to buy beer all night if someone can prove by drivers license that they are from Dogswamp.)

09. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
10. Faithfull
11. Even Flow
12. Deep

(Ed dedicates the next song to someone he just met today. He notes that he, Ed, is a third. Wynn from Arcade Fire is an Ed the third as well and today he met an Ed the forth)
13. Unthought Known
14. Sirens w/ sing along outro
15. Getaway
16. Jeremy
( Ed says this next one is something you play for your loved one in a romantic setting)
17. Lukin
18. Satan’s Bed (“this one’s for Zoe”)
19. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1

(Ed thanks the bands, the crew, the local crew and most of all the audience for making the shows so memorable. He has a young couple that he had spotted earlier come up on stage so they can watch from the side. He thinks the couple look like they are really in love and have great attitudes. When they get on stage he wants them to hold his wine while he plays but they appear to be under age. He dedicates the next song to them.)

20. Throw Your Arms Around Me-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Miles, Seymour, Smith, Waters)
(Ed introduces Boom Gasper and talks about how they met. He then sings happy birthday to Boom.)
21. Happy Birthday to Boom
22. Crazy Mary-(Williams)
(during Crazy Mary Ed goes to the barricade and interacts with the audience. After the song a cake is brought out. “We got him a nice cake but we have lots of cake up here. Should I give it to you guys? Should I? I don’t have enough plates and forks for you.” The crowd cheers so Ed hurls the cake into the crowd)
23. Comatose
24. Given To Fly
25. Black
26. Porch
27. Rockin’ In The Free World w/ Win Butler of Arcade Fire-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :bz

Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    What a nice setlist for a festival!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    CharlieP said:

What a nice setlist for a festival!

yup!
    happy bday to boom! :-c
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Time for some u.s. Dates! Great set
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Just got home and.......WOW. What a set. The band was having a great time, the crowd was great, well worth the 6 hour wait at the front. My face has been permanently melted off after that opening, holy hell. And Lukin-Satan's Bed-Rearviewmirror was just insane. I won't be able to sleep now...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    sweet,thanks Kat!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Thank you!!! Amazing high energy, fun and emotionally warm show. Fantastic setlist!

First day of school term tomorrow... spent the morning labelling school supplies, prepacking lunches and laying out uniforms to earn tonight's show... time for this mummy to get some sleep! Mx
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Kat said:

Pearl Jam
    Big Day Out
    Arena Joondalup
    Sydney AU
    Feb 2, 2014

Arena Joondalup is actually in Perth ;)

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    i_lov_it said:

Thank you! :)

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Fantastic show! Loved Deep, Jeremy, Crazy Mary and Rearviewmirror (which was absolutely epic!)
    Saw them in Sydney and here. Little bummed by lack of No Code, Binaural, Riot Act and Backspacer tunes but still a cracking show.
    Also left wondering what happened at the end. PJ didn't play their allotted time. Very abrupt end and there was no group bow at the finish. There were a stack of people who felt there was more to come.
    See you in 5 days Eddie!!!

Other acts I hope people saw were drones, cosmic psychos, the hives and arcade fire
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    DanigirlmadpjfanDanigirlmadpjfan Perth WA Posts: 4
    That was mind blowing!!! Totally Sunburnt, sore swollen feet from standing for 17hours straight, so tired from getting there at 6:30am to line up (Lol) but It was absolutely so much more than worth it!!! Sensational. Awesome set list. Eddie is God! Met the most amazing people ❤️!
  • Options
    SudmanSudman Fremantle, Western Australia Posts: 48
    Absolutely cracking show, the boys were on fire. I was impressed with the sound quality at Arena Joondalup, much better than the sound at the Melbourne BDO. The band seemed to be having a really good time, which is why it was a bit strange that it ended abruptly, without a second encore. Looks like they ran out of time and had several songs crossed off the setlist. I wonder if there was a curfew set by the arena? They seemed in a hurry to get off stage at the end, not even waiting to do a group bow, which was weird given it's the last show of the Oz tour. I really hope that they don't do another festival next time they tour Australia. But I understand why they wanted to give it a try on this occasion. It was a great show regardless, even with the time limit. Greatest band in the world, no doubt about it!!
  • Options
    CrazyboutevCrazyboutev Burns Beach WA Posts: 45
    Loved it great show as always. Few people in the front were disappointing shoving and just being disrespectful. Great set up at Joondalup. Ill be walking with a spring in my step until I see Eddie on Saturday :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Kat said:

i_lov_it said:

Thank you! :)

Your Welcome Kat :)

• Options
    B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    edited February 2014
    Great show and set. Thanks PJ for an awesome 2 weeks. Had rail last night in front of Jeff and was great! Satans bed and faithfull! Also got some picks off Mike.

Now to the bad side. What the hell happened last night. Did bdo or the council kick them off ? 6-7 songs cut from the set. Finished 10.20ish with what was supposed to be 10.30 finish.

Also no one has mentioned that Eddie at end of rocking said 'we've been kicked out' before throwing his microphone to the ground
    Post edited by B-Rock on
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • Options
    Great day/night and set. Cant help but wonder what could of been if we got the full setlist that Eddie had planned. Show ended suddenly no bow no farewell nothing. Very anti climatic end to the tour
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    I can read on the setlist Why Go, Spin the Circle, Better Man, Alive, Sonic Reducer, Yellow Ledbetter ... All cut. A few others I can't read.

I didn't hear Ed say they've been kicked off. Maybe he did. Either way he clearly called a verbal at end of Porch and wrapped it up. Thought he might have lost his voice or was unwell.
  • Options
    So I wonder what Eddie is going to get up to on his week in Perth......besides maybe a stop off at a certain concert at the Arena on Wednesday.
  • Options
    chubbygungan01chubbygungan01 Posts: 45
    edited February 2014
    Well what a night for me!! This was *only* my 4th concert (I say *only* because I understand that for those that are able to go to heaps it's not many but then there's other's that would love to go to 1!) and my first on the rail. I thought it was a cracking set, I was over the moon to hear Faithfull live for the first time, as well as Satan's bed. The band seemed to really enjoy themselves. I befriended sisters Marion and Kika (sorry if the spelling is wrong), Gavin, Amy and the guy with the John Butler Trio hat (sorry I've forgotten your name!!) Thanks for holding my spot for me and making me feel welcome into the Jamily. I've never been a particularly active member however everyone was really nice and supportive of each other. Marion had made a sign about the shark culling and as I was with them Ed acknowledged it and made eye contact with us so I happily went along with his thought that I belonged to the sign!!! Ed wanted to throw his tambourine to us and he was looking at us (because of the sign) and I was pointing to Marion saying "it's her sign, it's hers, it's hers"! And Ed was nodding at me saying "her? her?" and he threw it to Marion and she was beyond happy! I had a cheeky tap of it and kissed it as well. But the most exciting part for me was just being able to watch one of my guitar heroes Mike play and do his thing up close. I got a couple of acknowledgements from him and was stoked to get some eye contact during one of my favourite songs, RVM, which went off as always. Honestly I could spend the whole concert watching his hands on those strings and be a happy girl. I thought I'd miss out on a pick but ended up getting 2. Now, as for the end of the night and all the talk about the setlist being cut etc, etc....it was a bit abrupt. Felt unfinished a little bit. I hadn't even realised they didn't play Alive, Betterman (not that I particularly cared to hear them, but I think they've played those 2 at every BDO, can't remember), until meeting up with my father-in-law afterwards (they're probably the only songs he knows). Then I had to endure listening to Damien Leith in his car on the way home......THANK GOD I've got Eddie on Saturday, however I'm in for a massive depression this time next week. Eden
    Post edited by chubbygungan01 on
    "In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

Instagram: pipingroller
    Facebook: Eden Sandwell
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    ^^ Eden-so you were the tambourine kisser I saw! I was in the row behind the row behind Gavin :)
    Eddie had me all worked up and in a swoon with all the love and romance talk... Then launching into Lukin!!! =D> Opening with Go set the tone for the evening - started jumping, dancing and singing and didn't stop til they did. Met some great fellas in the crowd who really looked after us, kept checking in were we ok, needing water, want to get in closer to take photos etc. The guy next to me and I sang Small Town to each other at full belt and with imploring arms which was spontaneous and hilarious! I ended up stuck next to the certified d-heads that barrelled through the crowd and had a gropey pash during the 'we belong together' tag... and I more deplorable display I cannot recall :-S ... But I successfully ignored them for the most part. Amazing show, great crowd with 2 exceptions. Thanks Ed for the Rockingham shout out and for being chatty and engaged with my hometown crowd \:D/
  • Options
    Yes I kissed the tambourine! Pitiful I know but I might not get another chance!! Ewww about the gropey pash people!! Was it that big burly idiot who was causing the trouble? Overall the crowd seemed good though....must have been the night for romance, my hubby was standing up the back as he's not long had back surgery and the girl next to him grabbed his hand during Black and sang along to it with him haha!
    "In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

Instagram: pipingroller
    Facebook: Eden Sandwell
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 578
    Another incredible setlist.

Thanks Kat!
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    POF13POF13 Posts: 4
    Fantastic show and really enjoyed the opening songs - you know that you are up for a good one when Go is the opening song ! Thought the crowd really got into and Eddie was in good humour for the entire evening. Look forward to their next trip back to Perth hopefully playing at the Perth Arena.
    Was my 10th show and went with friends who had never seen them before - now they know what they have missed over the years
  • Options
    B-Rock said:

Now to the bad side. What the hell happened last night. Did bdo or the council kick them off ? 6-7 songs cut from the set. Finished 10.20ish with what was supposed to be 10.30 finish.

Also no one has mentioned that Eddie at end of rocking said 'we've been kicked out' before throwing his microphone to the ground

There's video on youtube. He said: "We done kicked 'em out," quoting Kick Out the Jams. He may have been referring to being told to finish up, but he was smiling when he said it and didn't throw his mic down.

On the setlist thread someone said that they were leaving the stage after Porch but then seemed to be told that they wouldn't be allowed a 2nd encore, so they scrambled RitFW in there before leaving.

93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options

B-Rock said:

There's video on youtube. He said: "We done kicked 'em out," quoting Kick Out the Jams. He may have been referring to being told to finish up, but he was smiling when he said it and didn't throw his mic down.

On the setlist thread someone said that they were leaving the stage after Porch but then seemed to be told that they wouldn't be allowed a 2nd encore, so they scrambled RitFW in there before leaving.

I'll have to watch the video but I thought he did throw the mic down. Still they finished earlier then the 10.30 curfew and cut a lot of songs. Something doesn't feel right
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/l4iWfcDTEZM
    6:50 He just lays the mic down. And the reason they cut the songs seems to be what I said before. They seemed to be told there wouldn't be a second encore, so they just added a last song to the first. Nothing about the end of RitFW looks abnormal.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    Well I may of mis interrupted that bit with the microphone but they still had scheduled 13 minutes left so I just want to know why they had a sudden rush to get off. Weather it be council/ bdo or pearl jam themselves. The band were cruising through like they had all the time in the world. Every one there didn't think show was over initially

I still think it was an amazing set and performance by the band.
  • Options
    RenaeRenae Perth, WA Posts: 38
    edited February 2014
    I think maybe that was it, they seemed to be cruising through! Which was awesome, maybe thats why it seemed like they ended things ubruptly. I dont care what the BDO put as their "slot" at the end of the day, at a PJ solo gig, you never know how long or short they will play for, ,and I have seen them play one encore before so in line with the "cruisin" comment it all matches out. Now.. here are the fighting words, and please dont get me wrong, the PJ fans are the bomb and still were last night but where were they all? BY FUCKING GOD i blame the bdo for this but I feel like I need to give an apology from Perth as this has to be one of the worst gigs i have seen from a Perth audience at a PJ gig, close to embarrasing. If you are on this forum I suspect you have seen them here, and more than likely elsewhere, a number of times before, pulling in sold out crowds, amped up as much as the band but last night..bajeezus! The amount of people I had near me chatting away,, may as well started pouring cups of tea! And all the whinging about not playing their popular radio songs, are you kidding me! If you know the band that dont mean shit! The band performed exceptionally, as usual, but BDO, what the fuck did you do! Perth is the freaking best when it comes to PJ. Im still astounded.
    Post edited by Renae on
  • Options
    Just Mike said:

So I wonder what Eddie is going to get up to on his week in Perth......besides maybe a stop off at a certain concert at the Arena on Wednesday.

Yeah odds on there...lol

• Options
    WallyWally Posts: 35
    edited February 2014
    As there has been so much debacle over this years Big Day Out, I was relieved when Sunday finally came around and I was about to see the finest and greatest rock band on the planet again. Hearing that only 12,000 tickets had been sold for the festival, I was expecting around 9,000 fans making it a nice intimate show with the other ticket holders at other stages.

Going with a few of my mates who are casual Pearl Jam fans, unlike the full on PJ fan I am, this was a bit of a nostalgic day for all of us as we had all been to very many Big Day Out's in the past and this was the final ever Perth Big Day Out, and a lot of our mates who would normally be there weren't. When we showed up around 5.30, I was surprised at how many people were there. It was like a ghost town. Half the bar areas were closed off because there were hardly any lines. Getting merchandise was easy, food easy, it was all easy and looking good. With a last minute offer by promoters for after 6pm $100 tickets at the door, I was expecting more people to show up, it was all set out for it.

Being in the bar area to the right of the blue stage that PJ were going to be playing on, we waited for PJ there while Arcade Fire played on the orange stage. Not being a fan of them, the sound was great from where we were and I was impressed with their show.

It was nearly 8pm and towards the end of Arcade Fire I noticed that, while a few more people had arrived, unlike previous years it was still fairly empty. I noticed it was looking easy to get down towards the front so a couple of my mates and I went down and stood about 10 metres on Stones side. To be honest, it's the closest I've ever been to the band playing on stage so I was really happy with where we stood.

About a minute or so after Arcade Fire finished, Pearl Jam hit the stage at 8pm. Starting off with Go, Evolution, Last Exit and Animal, the crowd around us were, like me, so vocal and it was hard to hear Eddies vocals. Starting off with a set like this, I knew we were in for an awesome set like 2006's concert at Subiaco Oval. But during these first few songs the wind was blowing all about and I noticed that the sound was a bit all over the place. The band were playing awesome and tight as usual but the sound wasn't loud enough to begin with, and I noticed that Stones lead would be coming from the right speaker and Mikes lead would be coming from the left speaker, so from where I was standing all I could hear was Stone going sick. Every time Mike was doing his thing, especially during Animal, I could see him playing on the video screen, but it was like his guitar wasn't even plugged in. I couldn't hear him rip it. I pointed it out to my mate and he agreed.

After Corduroy, Ed finally said g'day to the crowd. During this little interaction, I was hoping they would iron out the sound issues. Again, the crowd were very vocal during Elderly Woman, and by Even Flow it was evident the sound issue hadn't been fixed. I couldn't hear Mike. My mates left to go and meet all the others in the bar area, and I was left solo to soak it all up and try and enjoy it as best I could. Being treated to Deep was something really special, and although Sirens bores me (it just goes on too long), in typical PJ fashion it sounded better live than the studio version. Not really a festival song though.

Realising during Jeremy that I seriously needed to stop singing for a bit and get a drink, I waited until the first encore and headed straight to the bar for a beverage. I decided that I would check on my mates and see how the first couple of songs sounded from the bar area a bit further back. Ed was speaking but I could hardly hear him.

Throw Your Arms Around Me started and, whilst it was great to see the band perform it with the songs writer Mark Seymour from Aussie band Hunters & Collecters at the '03 concert, they have performed it at every Perth gig since then and I'm personally over hearing them do it. I'm not a fan of the song and I think it's a waste of quality PJ time. I also noticed that there must have been a crowd of about 7,000 dispersed around the oval and in the bar area it didn't look like many people were getting into it, the sound was still quiet and wish washy.

Black came on, I nearly hyperventilated, and I had to leave my mates and try for a better sound spot. I found a huge open pocket about 20 metres back centre of stage. The sound was a bit better, but again noticed the crowd not really getting into it. Everyone was a casual Pearl Jam fan, and waiting for songs like Betterman. The small contingent of full on PJ fans down the front looked like they were enjoying it, but although the band were giving 110% the crowd seemed to be engaged. Ed even asked if the crowd wanted to go home to get the crowd revved up, and it seemed the only cheers were only coming from down the front.

Porch came on and at the end you could just sense it was the end of the first encore. But then Ed runs around chatting to all the band and then the next thing they break into RITFW. I thought it was odd them playing that as I know that's one of their gig closers, but I thought that being the last Big Day Out and with plenty of time, they must be saving some casual fan crowd pleasers till last. Being more like a Karaoke gig and being ruined with the lead singer from Arcade Fire joining in, RITFW finished and the band waved, said thanks, Ed picks up his book and they all walked off.

The crowd clapped for a little while, it went sort of quiet, roadies starting fossicking about on stage, and after about a minute or so and with fans realising the prospect it could be the actual end of the show, fans started calling for more but it was actually all over. I looked at my watch and it wasn't even 10.15pm, certainly not the 2.5 hours as advertised. They still had time to play another song or two. I was in a state of shock and couldn't believe it ended the way it did, and missing a second encore which basically every other show has got on this tour. No Alive, no Daughter, no singalongs for the casual fans to also get into and maybe get the whole crowd pumped. I was surprised we at least didn't get Alive, especially it being the last BDO. What a somber way to finish a Pearl Jam show and a long running touring Australian festival.

I caught up with my casual fan mates who were disappointed there was no Alive, Betterman, etc..., and like me, was disappointed with the show. They said they have seen better BDO headliners and I have to agree.

Don't get me wrong, the band were on fire. Tight as usual, and the setlist was perfect for a full on PJ fan. But the sound was hardly in your face loud, especially the more distant you were from the stage and it was too wishy washy, Depending on where you were standing depended on who you were hearing, so some people were really only hearing half the song. I think the show was cut short as Ed just couldn't get those beyond full on PJ fan status, coupled with the ghost town like atmosphere, engaged to warrant playing on for a few more songs.

After reading so many awesome reviews, I was really excited for this show as I know PJ deliver quality. I really like Lightning Bolt, so was looking forward to hearing the new songs live. But for me this was missing that usual quality Pearl Jam sound and atmosphere, and was certainly the worst Pearl Jam gig I've been too. Unlike the tour poster, it failed to impress.

Pearl Jam at the Big Day Out ten or so years ago would have been a dream come true but like the BDO, full on PJ fans have aged a bit and are a bit too old for a festival. I know ALOT of fans who would normally see PJ but didn't go as they were turned off by the expensive all day festival thing.

When you come back, and let us all pray it's very soon, please consider the new Perth Arena. Amazing venue, especially acoustic wise, you will sound amazing.
    Post edited by Wally on
    3 March 1998 (Tue) - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
    19 March 1998 (Thu) - Perth Entertainment Centre
    23 February 2003 (Sun) - Burswood Dome, Perth
    25 November 2006 (Sat) - Subiaco Oval, Perth
    14 November 2009 (Sat) - ME Bank Stadium, Perth
    2 February 2014 (Sun) - Arena Joondalup, Perth
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    So Pearl Jam are in Australia at the moment touring with Glen Hansard, lucky people