January 31, 2014

Set List:

01. Why Go
02. Do The Evolution
03. Corduroy
04. Lightning Bolt
05. Mind Your Manners
06. Blood

(Ed welcomes the audience and says they are glad to be back in South Australia.
He says hello to the people in the “free water” section and says it looks nice but since you can only drink water there he wouldn’t wanna watch the show from there.
He says he doesn’t understand how the part of Australia that is closest to Antarctica could be so damn hot. He commends the people that got to the show early and have stayed up front all day. He offers to buy anyone that he recognizes from the front row drinks all night if they see him at the pool hall by the Scarborough Hotel the band frequents)

07. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
08. Got Some

(“This one is like a father’s day card. If your father is a fucking asshole.”)

09. My Father’s Son

(“Mr. Mike McCready has agreed to entertain you while I get just half a breath.”)
10. Eruption-(Van Halen)
11. Even Flow

(Ed talks about Soundgarden, Cosmic Psychos and Mudhoney who have played previous Big Day Out festivals. He says he had heard the term ‘Bogan’ and wondered what it meant. “I assumed it was an insult but when someone described a Bogan I realized most of my Aussie friends were Bogans. May be it means something different back in the states.
He mentions the upcoming Super Bowl and notes that while they wouldn’t normally care, the Seattle Seahawks are playing this year. Ed shows a jersey that a fan made for him. “Seattle Washington is playing Denver Colorado. The only two states in all fifty United States that have legal marijuana. Maybe other states and other countries will take notice.” He also wonders who Snoop Lion is rooting for. This next song is called Sirens-dedicated to the Seattle Seahawks.”
12. Sirens w/ sing along outro
13. Daughter/It's OK-(Cole)

(“Here’s to playing in the flight path!” A reference to the fact that there is an airport nearby and planes fly fairly low over the park)

14. Given To Fly
(“This used to be a song about war. Now it feels more like a song about climate change.”)
15. World Wide Suicide
(Ed starts to say something about reading a story to your child but gets distracted because he is getting bit by a mosquito. “Fucking mosquito. Twenty thousand people here and it’s eating me...Actually I am glad about that. Rather me than you.”

“Okay, so this is like a bedtime story you read to your child. It starts out ‘Once upon a time.”)
16. Once
(“This here is a request of sorts.”)
17. Red Mosquito
18. Betterman/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
{Ed asks if the people in the free water section will clap along then chides them for being out of time and when they get the groove, he compliments them. He notes that this is the part where they have the most girls on guys shoulders usually. Tonight he notes that there was a woman with a guy on her shoulders, “way to go mama”

Encore Break 1

(Ed asks for an Aussie beer, “VB? Cascade? Tasmania? No? Well instead of Aussie beer how about an Aussie song?”

19. Throw Your Arms Around Me-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Miles, Seymour, Smith, Waters)
20. Mother-(Waters)
21. Jeremy
22. Lukin
23. Porch

Encore Break 2

(Ed thanks the bands that have been playing Big Day Out. He also says, “this is for the guy on top of that thing trying to make out with his girlfriend but can’t because she is about to vomit.)

24. Alive
(Ed brings up Mark Arm describing him as one of the greatest singers of all time. Mark replies with an “aw shucks”.
25. Kick Out The Jams w/ Mark Arm-(Davis, Kramer, Smith, Thompson, Tyner)
26. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)

(Ed thanks the people putting on Big Day Out. He knows they tried to make it better than the last few times. He thanks the audience for being so well behaved in this extremely hot weather.
“Okay, this is your walk out music or whatever.”)

27. Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing-(Hendrix) (Ed plays drums for the Little Wing portion)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    JK109224JK109224 Posts: 563
    Early Blood was great. It's OK brilliant.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Options
    DM76DM76 Posts: 54
    Cracking show.....lined up from 4pm and got front row in front of stone.
    Really happy I got to here baba,ylb,once and mosquito.
    Ed gave us some wine to drink and also got a one of his pics.

Crowd was much more jovial than Melbourne ......the day was hot but evening setting was perfect.

Sad that my 3 show BDO run has come to an end and no ed solo shows here in adelaide, but look fwd to their speedy return to our shores.

Thanks for visiting ....the energy PJ displayed truly showed me that there's another 20 years left in this band
    1995 ~ Canberra NATEX 1998 ~ Thebarton Oval Adelaide 2003 ~ Adelaide 1 & 2 (Ent Centre) 2006 ~ Adelaide 1 & 2 (Ent Centre) 2009 ~ Adelaide (Adelaide Oval) 2009 ~ Melbourne (Etihad Stadiuml) 2011 ~ Eddie Vedder 1& 2 ( Thebarton Theatre) 2014~ Gold Coast ( Big Day Out) 2014~ Melbourne ( Big Day Out) 2014~ Adelaide ( Big Day Out)
  • Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    edited January 2014
    It's ok. That made the show. Oh and mother was a great surprise. Good mix of big hits for the festival crowd. Band had removed their gear when Ed called for Ledbetter. Mike played yl with his Polaroid camera on his shoulder.
    Post edited by TroubledSoul on
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    awesome set!!thanks Kat!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    It's OK was amazing. Would have liked to have heard Footsteps, but Mother was pretty great. Sirens sounded fantastic. Once, Jeremy, and Kick Out The Jams were pretty outstanding. Was fun to see Little Wing with Ed on drums.

Still sad no Ed solo shows for Adelaide.
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 579
    Another great setlist.

Roll on July 8th at Leeds!
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Seeing Ed on Drums would of been awesome :)
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Oh my God! Awesome! When they played Mother I was so excited!!! Love Pink Floyd! Thank you guys for an amazing night, hopefully Adelaide was good enough for them to want to come back soon.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    Another great show and setlist. a little less energy then the other bdo's but still very good. Ed was in a fun mood shooing mozitos with his guitar, putting mike on his shouders and playing drums etc
  • Options
    Putting mike on his shoulders and playing drums were separate things, although that woulda been fun to see lol
  • Options
    red_devred_dev Adelaide, Australia Posts: 147
    An awesome set list by Pearl Jam. Despite the heat they played a fast and furious set! Loved it and I loved the energy. An incredible performance yet again! What a band!

We waited since 11am front row centre of stage for Pearl Jam and had an Awesome day with other fellow Pearl Jam fans who really look after each other.

The guy beside me and the girl beside my wife got a tambourine from Eddie, well done to them but we did get an Eddie guitar pick.

Cannot wait to see them return again to Adelaide. I just really wish Eddie was playing a solo show here. Please add a date Eddie, please!!!!!

Long live and hail hail Pearl Jam the greatest band in the world fullstop.

1995 - Adelaide (Memorial Drive Tennis Centre)
    1998 - Adelaide (Thebarton Oval)
    2003 - Adelaide (Adelaide Entertainment Centre)
    2006 - Adelaide I (Adelaide Entertainment Centre)
    2006 - Adelaide II (Adelaide Entertainment Centre)
    2009 - Adelaide (Adelaide Oval)
    2011 - Eddie Vedder (Thebarton Theatre)
    2011 - Eddie Vedder (Thebarton Theatre)
    2014 - Adelaide Big Day Out
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I am shocked they opened a festival with those six songs. It must have been CRAZY
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Sounds like an unreal night. Great setlist, sounds like the band had another fun night. What 2 songs were taken off the setlist? I couldn't read them.
  • Options
    Nothingman and Low Light
  • Options
    wow! killer opening set. first 6 are punching you in the face
  • Options
    BeefBeef Posts: 5
    Great show as always. Loved the extended Daughter and Betterman. Always good to here stuff from Ten whatever it is. Nothingman wold have been awesome.
    Ed, solo shows in Adelaide please. Petition signed.
  • Options
    The wait was to long to see them again, what a performance, I' still buzzing. It's ok was sensational and I am so thankful for Given to Fly, come back soon guys!!!! Ed we need a solo show in Adelaide
  • Options
    Can I claim the Red Mosquito request after yelling out for the song while Eddie was swatting the mozzie?
  • Options
    DM76DM76 Posts: 54
    The whole set last night was pretty hard n fast - the encores had no slow songs other than mother.

Surely EV can squeeze one solo show here in SA
    1995 ~ Canberra NATEX 1998 ~ Thebarton Oval Adelaide 2003 ~ Adelaide 1 & 2 (Ent Centre) 2006 ~ Adelaide 1 & 2 (Ent Centre) 2009 ~ Adelaide (Adelaide Oval) 2009 ~ Melbourne (Etihad Stadiuml) 2011 ~ Eddie Vedder 1& 2 ( Thebarton Theatre) 2014~ Gold Coast ( Big Day Out) 2014~ Melbourne ( Big Day Out) 2014~ Adelaide ( Big Day Out)
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787
    Any vids of Ed on drums?
  • Options
    Lots of good energy considering the heat of the day/night. The songs that were scrubbed would have been really great to hear! Never heard the 'save it for later' tag in Betterman so for me that was a highlight, along with the 'It's ok' tag. Crowd was well behaved mostly and good for a sing along. Mike was in bloody great form. At my first PJ gig in Adelaide in '98 Ed got on the drums towards the end of the show. He did the same last night! Hasn't got any better though haha!

For everyone who is going to Perth, enjoy the show! Apparently $100 tix at the gate after 6pm now...
    "this is such a happening tail-pipe of a party"

Adelaide 98; Adelaide 03; Melbourne 03 #2; Brisbane 06 #2; Adelaide 06 #1 & #2; Perth 06; Adelaide 09; Melbourne 09; Gold Coast BDO 14; Adelaide BDO 14
    EV Aus 2011: Adelaide #1 & #2; Canberra
  • Options
    Nice red mosquito for the fucker that bit him!!! Looks like a great show.
  • Options

Putting mike on his shoulders and playing drums were separate things, although that woulda been fun to see lol

Haha yeah

• Options
    I've got a 10 second vid of ed on drums but don't have a YouTube account
  • Options
    dj75dj75 Posts: 7
    Hi all, it was a great show - they all are. Given the heat you have to have huge respect for the commitment the guys give. They always make sure they give their all for the fans,
    Anyway, here is my review http://www.unambitiousus.com/music/big-day-out-adelaide-review/
  • Options
    Please Ed, surely you can find it in your heart to fit us in?? [-O<
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    Kat said:

(Ed asks for an Aussie beer, “VB? Cascade? Tasmania? No? Well instead of Aussie beer how about an Aussie song?”

No mention of 'Coopers'? ;)

• Options
    i_lov_it said:

Kat said:

No mention of 'Coopers'? ;)

Haha! Yeah everyone booed with each suggestion! Lol!

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    kintockintoc Posts: 9
    edited February 2014
    Hey DM76,

Have to agree with you - the energy from the band was great - they all seemed to be in great spirits and the set list was upbeat.

Kick out the Jams was great with Mark requesting all the men to "show their t***s" while getting on their women's shoulders.

We stood just behind you and in front of stone - I have always loved a PJ crowd - I guess when you wait for 4 hours to get up front, you get to know them pretty well.

I *think* that was the first time I heard Once?!?!?

Looking forward to Ed's solo tour over in Melbourne.

DM76 said:

Cracking show.....lined up from 4pm and got front row in front of stone.
    Really happy I got to here baba,ylb,once and mosquito.
    Ed gave us some wine to drink and also got a one of his pics.

Crowd was much more jovial than Melbourne ......the day was hot but evening setting was perfect.

Sad that my 3 show BDO run has come to an end and no ed solo shows here in adelaide, but look fwd to their speedy return to our shores.

Thanks for visiting ....the energy PJ displayed truly showed me that there's another 20 years left in this band

Post edited by kintoc on
    ===============================================
    **** 10c member since April 2001, Addicterd since '94
    Adelaide 1998, 2003, 2006 x2
    Melbourne 2006 x 3

Adelaide November 17th 2009
    Melbourne November 20th 2009
    ===============================================
  • Options
    redmegredmeg Posts: 21
    Still coming down from fri night, best night of my life at the front for the first time never thought that would happen.I was pretty happy being that close then ed came off stage and ran past and grabbed the jersey, the whole show seemed to happen so quickly.I had specific songs I hoped to hear but really didnt care once it started just soaked it all in, jeff was going off like I havent witnessed before the whole band really seemed to be enjoying themselves. Pj security werent to happy when a chick hugged ed, he went off on the aussie security guys.The water guys were pretty funny to watch they were lovin there job ed repayed them with picks