Nova: Ghosts of Murdered Kings

Did anyone happen to watch the Nova episode on PBS tonight? I had seen a preview on facebook and was fascinated. It was an attempt to determine what happened to "bog people." People who died and were preserved by the bogs in Great Britain. When they find one, they still have their skin intact, but it has discolored from the acid in the bog. The bodies are hundred to thousands of years old. I think there is a good Stephen King novel in there somewhere. 8-X

And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    edited January 2014
    I watched it. A lot of it was about the discovery of a body in Ireland that was carbon dated as 4000 years old, about 2000 years older than other bodies that have been found. @-) Anthropologists and archaeologists are trying to determine why the bodies that have been found show so much violence. Bodies have been found in bogs all over northern Europe.

It's not exactly Stephen King material but I read a novel called The Ogre MANY years ago and there was some mention of bog bodies in it. Very weird book and I read it so long ago that I can't remember much about it. But it was the first time I'd ever heard of bog bodies.

Post edited by Who Princess on
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • i missed this show but i am gonna look for a replay and try to check it out. sounds really interesting.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited January 2014
    i have heard of bog bodies being very well preserved. i read a small report on this stuff in some science magazine years ago. good stuff. many of the bodies show just brutal happenings like caved in skulls & all sorts of torture & whatnot.

throw 'em in the bogs
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce