Inexpensive gear that sounds great.

I have to admit that over the last 45 years I've cumulatively spent a lot of money (especially for someone who does not make a shit load of it) on guitars and amps and such. Because my ears are pretty trashed, I've been wanting to get something small to plug into and was really surprised to hear a Roland Micro Cube being played through in our local music store. It sounded great- especially for a non-tube amp. I picked one up- what the heck- they're cheap. When I got home I played all my guitars through it and the best sounding is my First Act Paul Westerberg model- a cheap little guitar that was sold by Walmart a few years ago (I got mine on eBay for a little or $100) So my investment in the First Act and the Micro Cube is less than $250 and I'm blown away by how good they sound together. Quite a surprise and I can get some really cool sounds without hurting my ears!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• sometimes the inexpensive stuff is best. if you do not want something loud, a micro cube is a smart buy. anything with tubes, you have to crank it just to get it to sound good. most solid state stuff sounds pretty good right out of the box. if i were not in a band, i would probably downsize my tube stuff into something smaller and less houseshaking.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,749

sometimes the inexpensive stuff is best. if you do not want something loud, a micro cube is a smart buy. anything with tubes, you have to crank it just to get it to sound good. most solid state stuff sounds pretty good right out of the box. if i were not in a band, i would probably downsize my tube stuff into something smaller and less houseshaking.

Yes, so true! My gear is small enough to keep from spreading all over the place. But I have to admit, I think if my hearing weren't so compromised I have a Marshal Stack in the living room and drive the neighbors nuts.

:))
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• i have a matchless clubman with a marshall 4x12 in the spare bedroom. my neighbors hate me. but my vintage marshall is non master volume, so that one stays in my basement where i can somewhat protect them from the noise.

i have more gear than i know what to do with. i have 4 4x12 cabs, 3 marshalls and a crate blue voodoo cab...

i need a larger house....
    :facepalm:

"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • I always buy inexpensive because I beat the hell out of my stuff. Our old drummer gave me his Frontman 25R and it has the same tone as the Blues jr. Agreed! Inexpensive stuff can sound AWESOME!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Cheapie home amp:
    Class 5
    Blues Jr.
    Tiny Terror
    old Marshall AVT20 or 50
    Laney CUB 12r

Currently running a tiny terror head through an orange 1x12 (V30)
    PJ Melbourne - 2006 Melbourne - 2009 Melbourne - 2014 EV Perth - 2011 Melbourne 2014