Kafka

It's always a bit strange to me when I start reading a major author I'd somehow missed or overlooked. That doesn't happen very often anymore but the most startling overlook for me and my most exciting reading venture in quite some time is Franz Kafka. I'd read The Metamorphosis many years ago, but that's it. I'm currently reading The Castle and literally (or should I say, literately) having my mind thoroughly blown. What an amazing book! And reading about how Kafka died before finishing both The Castle and The Trial and on his death bed asked that these manuscripts be destroyed. Imagine that! Max Brod, you Saint!

It would be cool to hear some of your thoughts and experiences with Kafka!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• I couldnt agree morw..the guy rocks..fuckin great mind!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,638

I couldnt agree morw..the guy rocks..fuckin great mind!

Yes, Dimitri, fucking amazing! Any favorites?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    edited January 2014
    brianlux said:

I couldnt agree morw..the guy rocks..fuckin great mind!

Yes, Dimitri, fucking amazing! Any favorites?

The Trial is my favorite!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I loved The Trial and Metamorphosis as well. Have you seen the movie for The Trial, with Anthony Perkins? I thought it was actually a good rendition of the story. Orson Welles directed :)https://player.vimeo.com/video/52732688

I haven't read The Castle yet, but I might get onto it.
    Oh cool! I must read The Trial first but will definitely want to see the film as well. Perkins, Wells- OMG, how did I miss this? Thanks!

• Ive been meaning to check this guy out...I wish my "to be read" pile wasnt so damned out o control these days!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

Ive been meaning to check this guy out...I wish my "to be read" pile wasnt so damned out o control these days!

I totally get that about the stacks "to be read" books, Jonny! And to make matters worse, another interesting author I recently came across is Max Frisch. I came across a copy of his book, Man in the Holocene and can't wait to get to it... and all the others piled up!