Options

1% in America are treated like Jews in Nazi Germany

13»

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Cosmo said:

know1 said:

So again, why are we only talking about being "fair" to those people who have more than "us". Why aren't we worried about the fact that we ALL have more money than the vast majority of the world.

And if I was to give away my money and possessions to the point that what I had was "fair" in terms of the population of the earth as a whole, how much money and possessions should I retain? Ask that same question of yourselves and see what number you arrive at to put yourself in a fair position with a population that includes millions of starving people in 3rd world countries.

And before someone tries to twist what I'm saying into an anti-charity position, I'm very much in favor of charitable giving and do my best to be generous in that regard.

Okay.. i'll try to address your points.
    We are just saying that we believe that billionaires should not be able to skip out on paying taxes the rest of us pay with their bullshit accounting tricks and stashing their earnings in the Cayman Islands, a luxury that regular working Joes cannot afford. They make and have billions and no one expects them to give it all back, but, when they contribute less to this nation's taxes by paying less in taxes that fund programs run by this country than the guy driving a delivery truck for $30,000.00 a year, we find it a tad unfair. This nation has been good to them and their heirs... just as it has been good to us and ours. We pay, they skate. You believe that is okay, that's fine. We disagree with you. Why can't you understand that?
    And the discussion at hand has to do with the United States. From what i can gather, the people in Africa are not filing 1040s to the IRS in April. When they do, they will be included in the discussion about the American taxing system.
    Finally, I am on your side when it comes to charitable giving. It is no one else's business.
    My comments really haven't been much about taxes specifically, but if it is legal for those people to find tax advantages, then likely those same advantages are legal for you and me as well.

My comments were more general than that. I was saying that people seem to want fairness when looking at people who have more than they do, but don't really want fairness when they look at those with less.

I also try to always consider humans as opposed to Americans or Canadians or Minnesotans or Floridians or New Yorkers.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    know1 said:

My comments really haven't been much about taxes specifically, but if it is legal for those people to find tax advantages, then likely those same advantages are legal for you and me as well.

My comments were more general than that. I was saying that people seem to want fairness when looking at people who have more than they do, but don't really want fairness when they look at those with less.

I also try to always consider humans as opposed to Americans or Canadians or Minnesotans or Floridians or New Yorkers.

You are right... I could create a 'Charitable' foundation with tax exempt status in my name and give tax deductible charitable grants to myself... and so can you. But, i don't know about you... I just don't have the upfront capital to hire the lawyers and accountants... nor do I have the political clout (because i don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy myself some senators and congressmen) to steer legislation in my favor. Perhaps you do... I don't. So, i guess that's why you believe it to be okay, because we CAN do the same things as billionaires... our problem is we CHOOSE not to do so because we have chosen not to have billions of dollars, correct?
    And yes... I concede your point that the Billionaires who pay almost nothing to the nation that has given them the opportunities to build unimaginable amounts of wealth... are people, too.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    groovemegrooveme Posts: 353

So the richest 1% are being rounded up, put into ghettos, put into cattle cars, sent to work camps where they are either being executed or worked and starved to death. Got it. Who knew??

This!

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited February 2014
    grooveme said:

So the richest 1% are being rounded up, put into ghettos, put into cattle cars, sent to work camps where they are either being executed or worked and starved to death. Got it. Who knew??

This!

Tom Perkins is a strong contender for the title of the 1%'s biggest fucking jackass.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This asshole has a lot of nerve

Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/investing/tom-perkins-vote/index.html?hpt=hp_t1